A few from the studio

Name
Philip Firth
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a few shots from the studio. Hope you like them.:)

molly1.jpg

molly3.jpg

molly4.jpg

molly5.jpg

Thanks

Nice shots, love the expression on the babies face in the one with her mum (am guessing its her mum)

What kind of lighting set up did you use for these?

I used a Lasolite Savage super white paper roll for the floor and background and had 2 proline flashes one on either side. Why?

Can't get mine as bright as yours!:)

I'm using the canon 350D. Is that to create the background. Sorry if i'm sounding daft.:)

I'm using the canon 350D. Is that to create the background. Sorry if i'm sounding daft.:)

Im now using a nikon, im sure someone a canon user anyway, will be able to tell you how to set it up. Its good to make sure that the light is evenly balanced. Alot of the time when Im shooting in the studio, the background is "blown out" you cannot shoot the people too close to the background or else it bleaches them too.

Saying that though, when I stand away and take a photograph I get blinkies, when I add a subject, zoom in, reframe etcetc, I dont :D

Whoever said this photography stuff was easy?

Thanks for all your advise Dellipher. Will see what results I get with the kit next time(y)

If you drop the f-stop down to about f9 [which is what I use in the studio thanks to DD] and then chimp to see how you go, it will probably mean that there is less "grey" and more white :D

Just reading through this thread. This is not good advice. If you just amend the fstop, you may end up over exposing the subject. What the background needs is more light - keep settings the same and add more light to the background.

A lightmeter is really advised here. The background should receive around one stop more light than the subject to ensure a nice white clean background is achived.

Light placement is crucial.

Just reading through this thread. This is not good advice. If you just amend the fstop, you may end up over exposing the subject. What the background needs is more light - keep settings the same and add more light to the background.

A lightmeter is really advised here. The background should receive around one stop more light than the subject to ensure a nice white clean background is achived.

Light placement is crucial.

I was just expressing what I used in the studio...

Im now using a nikon, im sure someone a canon user anyway, will be able to tell you how to set it up. Its good to make sure that the light is evenly balanced. Alot of the time when Im shooting in the studio, the background is "blown out" you cannot shoot the people too close to the background or else it bleaches them too.

Saying that though, when I stand away and take a photograph I get blinkies, when I add a subject, zoom in, reframe etcetc, I dont :D

Whoever said this photography stuff was easy?

What you need to do is make sure that the subject is exposed correctly. The background is only one part of the scenario.

I was just expressing what I used in the studio...

I understand that. Maybe I'm just being a little pedantic. But I don't think just increasing the amount of light over the whole scene is the answer here (which you get by making the aperture larger).

A small lightmeter will allow you to get the balance of subject and background correct ensuring nice white background and correctly exposed subject.

Hit and miss will work of course but takes longer to achieve and can be frustrating.

I understand that. Maybe I'm just being a little pedantic. But I don't think just increasing the amount of light over the whole scene is the answer here (which you get by making the aperture larger).

A small lightmeter will allow you to get the balance of subject and background correct ensuring nice white background and correctly exposed subject.

Hit and miss will work of course but takes longer to achieve and can be frustrating.

How are you ever going to learn without testing, trialing and making the odd mistakes?
I see what you are getting at. And I understand where you are coming from. But as origionally stated above I had commented that I use three lights in the set up two aimed directly at the background and was carrying on from that....in MY kind of setup.

PS to get the indication of overexposure (blinkies) shown on the Canon LCD I think if you are reviewing an image, press the Info button to display the histogram and the image should now blink for overexposed parts of the scene.

How are you ever going to learn without testing, trialing and making the odd mistakes?
I see what you are getting at. And I understand where you are coming from. But as origionally stated above I had commented that I use three lights in the set up two aimed directly at the background and was carrying on from that....in MY kind of setup.

That is why I suggest using a lightmeter. Doing it blind is not the best way to learn. Using the meter is a fantastic tool in the studio. Even using a meter I need to test and trial. Just a lot quicker and far more accurate.

Don't get me wrong, what you are doing sounds fine...... I just didn't think it was good advice advising the OP to stop down just to get the background white without consideration of the subject...... if you see what I mean?

So what would be the best way 2 set the 2 lights up that I have? One for the subject and one for the background? I know what you mean now about the blinkies:) Have seen them on there.

That is why I suggest using a lightmeter. Doing it blind is not the best way to learn. Using the meter is a fantastic tool in the studio. Even using a meter I need to test and trial. Just a lot quicker and far more accurate.

Don't get me wrong, what you are doing sounds fine...... I just didn't think it was good advice advising the OP to stop down just to get the background white without consideration of the subject...... if you see what I mean?

Im not arguing you about it, I obvisouly either didnt word it correctly, or you didnt read it correctly.

So what would be the best way 2 set the 2 lights up that I have? One for the subject and one for the background? I know what you mean now about the blinkies:) Have seen them on there.

Yes one for the background and one for the subject. You can also replacate a fill light with use of a decent reflector. You can use some white polystyrene or buy a white one. you can also use gold/silver to get a different effect.

Again I'd advise using a meter so that your fill light is one stop less than the main light and your background is one stop brighter than your main.

I usually set my main at f8 , my fill at f5.6 and my background light at f11 all with the help of my Sekonic lightmeter. You just can't do this accurately without it.

Im not arguing you about it, I obvisouly either didnt word it correctly, or you didnt read it correctly.

I read all my posts again and I didn't think I was arguing at all. In fact what I was trying to do was help the OP from making the same mistakes I did when starting out and also from taking bad advice.

If you take the advice personally then that is unfortunate.

Back