A few from Whipsnade

Name
Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
My first visit to Whipsnade in over 60 ears (and I don't remember the previous visit) - very enjoyable, although didn't get to see everything, so will need to return, hopefully for better photos too
Here's some from my visit - how did I do?
Thanks for looking!

DSC_2560, European Bison
by Midland Red, on Flickr

DSC_2679, Eurasian Brown Bear

DSC_2781, Grévy's Zebra

DSC_2846, Blesbok

DSC_2908, Reticulated Giraffe

DSC_2991, White Stork

DSC_3025, American Flamingos

DSC_3063, Fallow Deer

Nice.

Ahhh - my favourite zoo :)

Whole set is good but the blesbok is an absolute stonker - great perspective and background. If I was being picky I'd say chop a bit off the left hand side so he/she is walking into more space - but it is not a big issue. The glass for the lions is horrible - but I love the eyebrows in the last shot :)

Whole set is good but the blesbok is an absolute stonker - great perspective and background. If I was being picky I'd say chop a bit off the left hand side so he/she is walking into more space - but it is not a big issue. The glass for the lions is horrible - but I love the eyebrows in the last shot :)

Thanks for that - appreciated!

very enjoyable, although didn't get to see everything,
Its certainly a full day plus, up there..

I think you went a little too "heavy" with the processing on ole Bruin,
but its a nice set (y)

Struggled to photograph the lions through the glass - perhaps b&w conversions improve them? How did I d
They can be a pita, to photograph, you need to be straight on, lens hood up against the glass, ( find a clean spot) and make sure the sun isn't on the glass, that'll give you a green hue,
at best, nasty reflections at worst.

As Fi said I'd also take a little of the left hand side of the blesbok

But as above nice set (y)

Is it really Fi ?
Its really close to me, but I always feel they could make much more use of the vast acreage they have there. Particularly as they promote conservation so heavily.
Im not knocking Whipsnade, but I do they think they could could offer a much wider and more endangered species list with the land that they have......

Is it really Fi ?
Its really close to me, but I always feel they could make much more use of the vast acreage they have there. Particularly as they promote conservation so heavily.
Im not knocking Whipsnade, but I do they think they could could offer a much wider and more endangered species list with the land that they have......

To be honest I would struggle to really pick a favourite and I think you make a good point - but from a 'which do I enjoy visiting the most?' pov Whipsnade ranks very highly. Probably because the photography opportunities tend to be very good. So I probably should have said 'one of my favourites' !

If you are talking about the 'best' zoo it would be Chester obviously but in some respects I find it too large / packed and end up rushing because of it. In comparison I find Whipsnade very relaxing. Same goes for the likes of CWP and Blackpool. Much smaller collections but I enjoy the visitor experience more. Colchester is a pretty good happy medium but can be quite challenging on the photography front.

Do you have a favourite??

Not yet! Only really just started to travel further afield. Had hoped to get to YWP and Colchester this year, but YWP not looking likely timewise now.

That's a shame re YWP - it is a real treat. We went from London for a day trip a couple of months ago by taking the train. It would be 4+ hours in the car for us so although quite an expensive option the train worked out great as part of a long weekend in London.

Love that zebra shot, what was it laughing it ;)
Not keen on the backgound for the giraffe though
Not a lover pf b/w animal shots but that g;ass is a nightmare, especially if there are a lot of people about,
@Cobra has given good advise for that
Nice set overall (y)

I think you went a little too "heavy" with the processing on ole Bruin,
but its a nice set (y)

Thanks! Would be grateful if you could explain/expand on that for me. Cheers!

Love that zebra shot, what was it laughing it ;)
Not keen on the backgound for the giraffe though
Not a lover pf b/w animal shots but that g;ass is a nightmare, especially if there are a lot of people about,
@Cobra has given good advise for that
Nice set overall (y)

I agree about the giraffe background, but couldn't resist the expression!
I'm not much into b/w conversions, but in this case they improved the lion images
Thanks!

Would be grateful if you could explain/expand on that for me. Cheers!
If you look at the rest of the set, the Bear & grass is a little over saturated and a little over sharpened certainly IMO, anyway.

I've re-processed the image, how does this compare????
To be perfectly honest, there isn't a lot between them.
If you want to put up an unedited version, ( just normal size is fine) I'll show you what I mean.

Unfortunately I no longer have the RAW version so I can only provide the jpeg
Not a problem raw is over rated anyway ;)

I'll have a little play in a bit

Fairly straight forward, I turned down the brightness and the contrast and then just a smidgen of Smart sharpen ( possibly a tad more, but no more) (CS5) but I'm sure that most other programmes have the same / similar functions.

One other thing, are you using multi point focus?
they focus points will always grab the nearest point, in this case the grass, directly in front and to the Bear's right.
If you are, I suggest you try using a single point and aim for the eye(s) if not, you must have focused in front of the Bear.
Hope that helps?

My edit

Midland-red-edit.jpg

Your edit

35899701253_f6b2fd5af3_z.jpg

Last edited:
Fairly straight forward, I turned down the brightness and the contrast and then just a smidgen of Smart sharpen ( possibly a tad more, but no more) (CS5) but I'm sure that most other programmes have the same / similar functions.

One other thing, are you using multi point focus?
they focus points will always grab the nearest point, in this case the grass, directly in front and to the Bear's right.
If you are, I suggest you try using a single point and aim for the eye(s) if not, you must have focused in front of the Bear.
Hope that helps?

My edit

View attachment 109003

Your edit

View attachment 109004

Excellent - thanks, I can definitely see an improvement in your edit
I'll have a go at replicating it

Like the comment about RAW!

Back