A few from Whitby

Rick, I think the second image would be improved by cropping the sky heavily to drop it to a 3:1 pano, placing all the focus on the highly detailed houses and losing the negative space above that unbalances the image.

The last 2 are my faves for their slightly surreal content, though I'd want to clone out the road signs in the fourth and the flower pot/planter & statue in the fifth.

Thanks for the comments, I'll look into that.

Definitely the 4th one for me, and ripe for an alternative b&w version I would have thought?

Out of interest, do YOU think they're better or did you prefer the original?
I'm sure sure I prefer either, other than obviously the removal of the sign (I have yet to get around to removing the planter) I quite like the B&W version now I've seen it. I guess it sort of suits the subject.

I'm sure sure I prefer either, other than obviously the removal of the sign (I have yet to get around to removing the planter) I quite like the B&W version now I've seen it. I guess it sort of suits the subject.
I think it's one that you can come back to another day and try playing with curves or contrast to see what makes it better or worse, so that's a plus. When I used to do b&w in my home darkrrom, I would always put a print up on a pinboard in the kitchen to see whether I still liked it the following weekend. Often there was some adjustment had come to mind that was worth trying, and it's a lot easier and less messy on the computer nowadays!.

Last edited:
I've always found loads to photograph around fishing harbours - but you had a nicer day weather wise than us! Nice place, Whitby. Cheers!

Back