A few long exposure photo's of the River Avon Nr Christchurch.

Edit My Images
Yes
A nice day for a change so I popped up to the River Avon near Christchurch & took a few long exposure photos, here are a couple. C&C welcome.

4113084334_416bd04906_o.jpg

4112317669_a2252c3a6b_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Clean your sensor ;)

Okay shots but a bit boring. Good ND use though. Polarise that sky and convert to mono - will be miles stronger

There just lacking any real interest, just seems to be Long exposure for the sake of long exposure.

Some foreground interest would be nice, The blurring of the grass by the wind is also quite distracting.

There just lacking any real interest, just seems to be Long exposure for the sake of long exposure.

Some foreground interest would be nice, The blurring of the grass by the wind is also quite distracting.

Thanks for your opinion. Strange that within 1 minute of posting on Flickr, someone tagged one of the photo's as a favourite. As for interest, I like them, if not I wouldn't have bothered. It was a very windy day & the river was very rough, so for it to look so placid & calm after the long exposure was for me a bonus. My take on the pictures is the clouds moving, (unfortunately it was almost left to right, it would have been better if they were coming towards me), & their reflections in the river giving a tranquil scene. Foreground interest, well, are we talking about a couple of rocks or branches that make almost every sunset look the same from some people (I have also taken some like that). They are what they are & I am pleased with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. Strange that within 1 minute of posting on Flickr, someone tagged one of the photo's as a favourite. As for interest, I like them, if not I wouldn't have bothered. It was a very windy day & the river was very rough, so for it to look so placid & calm after the long exposure was for me a bonus. My take on the pictures is the clouds moving, (unfortunately it was almost left to right, it would have been better if they were coming towards me), & their reflections in the river giving a tranquil scene. Foreground interest, well, are we talking about a couple of rocks or branches that make almost every sunset look the same from some people (I have also taken some like that). They are what they are & I am pleased with them.

Fair enough, no need to get uppity you asked for C&C so i gave some. :wacky:

Fair enough, no need to get uppity you asked for C&C so i gave some. :wacky:

Did I sound uppity? I was explaining my take on the photo. At least you came back with a comment. :) Now the photos can sink into the sunset of oblivium, at least on this site.

I find that photography plays a foul trick on us. We all learn about the rule of thirds, foreground interest, leading lines etc, and at least for me, I go out and never find a shot that I think is suitable to these rules, or good enough, and so I find myself taking less photos with the more I learn!

I think these could be improved by cropping out some sky, but I know what you mean when you say about looking for the same boring old rock to put in the foreground of every landscape, could put one in our camera bags and take it with us ;)

Ultimately if you like it, that's all that matters.

I find that photography plays a foul trick on us. We all learn about the rule of thirds, foreground interest, leading lines etc, and at least for me, I go out and never find a shot that I think is suitable to these rules, or good enough, and so I find myself taking less photos with the more I learn!

I think these could be improved by cropping out some sky, but I know what you mean when you say about looking for the same boring old rock to put in the foreground of every landscape, could put one in our camera bags and take it with us ;)

Ultimately if you like it, that's all that matters.

Ha Ha, wise words. I took a rock in my camera bag & shoved it just in front of the photo for foreground interest, sadly it dropped into the river never to be seen again ;). I've been away for a few days & have just looked at the photos again & I still like them, for some reason some people can post anything on here (all the forums) & others will give over the top praise, whilst others can post a good photo (and I'm talking of other posters) & they don't get half the response. Sadly it does not help either of the people.

That area is local to me so i am of the different opinion to others as i do find them interesting and find myself really scouring the detail and capture, well done

i like #1 as it has a nice width and fence as composition, did you use a 10 stop by any chance ?

Thank You Graham. Yes it was a 10 stop filter.

Hi redspider,
i think the most important thing is that YOU like them,
regards john.

Thanks John. I liked the photos so was taken back with the negative comments, however it helps to hear both sides.

That area is local to me so i am of the different opinion to others as i do find them interesting and find myself really scouring the detail and capture, well done

Thank you. The area is beautiful. We don't seem to have any rivers with rocky bits in, so they are a bit flat in comparison, but our area makes up for it.

Back