A few martial arts

Owwww that looks like it hurs, great 'capture of the moment' !

1st thing I noticed was the white balance. A lot of shots in indoor gyms tend to have a yellow/green tinge but this looks spot on. Not sure if you did a custom white balance or had 'easy' lighting..........

Would like to see a more shallow DOF to soften the busy background so the focus is purely on the subjects and maybe a neg vignette to further highlight the subjects. To much happening in the background spoils the shots for me.

1st thing I noticed was the white balance. A lot of shots in indoor gyms tend to have a yellow/green tinge but this looks spot on. Not sure if you did a custom white balance or had 'easy' lighting..........

Would like to see a more shallow DOF to soften the busy background so the focus is purely on the subjects and maybe a neg vignette to further highlight the subjects. To much happening in the background spoils the shots for me.

The hall was pretty light but I always set a custom white balance where ever im shooting using an expodisc, great bit of kit.

Agree about the DoF, these were shot using a 24-70 at f2.8 but was pretty close to the mats due to lots of people crowding around. If there was space I probably would have used the 70-200 f2.8 and got a a shallower depth to separate the subject from the BG.

Last edited:
Nice shots and I have to agree about the white balance, looks like you have it spot on!! The hall where I take some photos of Judo is a nightmare for light, windows around the top with 6 rows of lights that all seem to have different bulbs in it's not to bad this time of year but in winter the light changes 3 times as you walk down the hall :bang: LoL..

Were they taken with the D3 or D7000?

Cheers
Ian

If there was space I probably would have used the 70-200 f2.8 and got a a shallower depth to separate the subject from the BG.

They were my thoughts when viewing the images, a mixture of the two images (which are good) on the 24-70 with some with the BG blurred would round the series.

Nice shots and I have to agree about the white balance, looks like you have it spot on!! The hall where I take some photos of Judo is a nightmare for light, windows around the top with 6 rows of lights that all seem to have different bulbs in it's not to bad this time of year but in winter the light changes 3 times as you walk down the hall :bang: LoL..

Were they taken with the D3 or D7000?

Cheers
Ian

With the D3 Ian, superb in low light :D

Not bad Matthew not bad at all

the fighter in shot one in the white is always good to watch and shoot..!!
Nice capture in shot two..

You get any of the forms ;)

Regards MD:wave:

shot 2 for me
great expression

Those photos for me are perfectly shot, so I voted both. What brand of the camera are you using @hewhoknows? I'm just curious.

Those photos for me are perfectly shot, so I voted both. What brand of the camera are you using @hewhoknows? I'm just curious.

I guess he uses Nikon.

Maybe a D3? :D

Back