A few more from Cumbria

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all....think I've just discovered another aspect of photography that I quite enjoy....your comments/crit will let me know If I'm heading in the right direction :)

DSC_4574 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_4236 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_5188 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_4757 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_4578 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_4702 by llj666, on Flickr

A totally different type of shot for me ( usually animals & motorbikes ) so interested to hear what you think & pointers to improve . Aproper set of filters is on the list already along with a wide angle lens...go this lark gets expensive :LOL:

Cheers for looking
Lynne x

Number 1, 2 and 5 are really really lovely. Capture the tranquility beautifully. Awesome reflections.

Hi Lynne and answer to your question? you are most defiantly heading in the right direction, stunning set of images from Cumbria I must say :) and you have sold it to me ;) hard to pick a favourite and if I had to pick one it would be #3 due to the layers within the hills and that is my favourite time of the day too, great use of light.

Kevin (y)

Hi Lynne, Great pics but from a critique point of view you've planted the horizon central in 1,2,5,and 6 which composition wise just doesn't do it for me. You really need a foreground to lead the eye into the photo. Maybe read up a bit on the rule of thirds and once you understand that go out and break it!. You are definitely heading in the right direction though.

Excellent set, looks a great part of the world and you've captured the atmosphere brilliantly, well done :D

A lovely set of pics, i recognise some of the viewpoints from my travels up here. You asked for pointers and my advice would only be to olso try out a stopper filter. A 10 stopper really does help bring some landscapes alive, particlularly very early morning shots with overcast skies. Would be worth having a look at that aspect.

Mrk Lj from Fikr uses these and i am always like his work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_lj/

I look forward to seeing more of your shots from the Lakes:)

Lovely pictures. I really like 3 & 4, but then I'm a sucker for sunsets and waterfalls.

Lovely set, but No 2 is my pick, and what holds it together is the FG yacht, without it the composition would be top heavy on the right, this provides a perfect counterbalance.

This is good work.

Number 1, 2 and 5 are really really lovely. Capture the tranquility beautifully. Awesome reflections.

Hi Lynne and answer to your question? you are most defiantly heading in the right direction, stunning set of images from Cumbria I must say :) and you have sold it to me ;) hard to pick a favourite and if I had to pick one it would be #3 due to the layers within the hills and that is my favourite time of the day too, great use of light.

Kevin (y)

#2 is something special, really like it.

Please please take more landscapes. These are a fabulous set of images Lynne. Like Kevin I'm struggling to pick a favourite.

Wow, you've really captured the beauty of the lake district! Those reflections...... :)

Really impressive set of shots from my favourite part of the world. You had some great conditions, the reflections are virtually perfect. Well done.

Excellent set, looks a great part of the world and you've captured the atmosphere brilliantly, well done :D

Stunning set :clap:

I love them all, and I'm very jealous!

Lovely pictures. I really like 3 & 4, but then I'm a sucker for sunsets and waterfalls.

these are great, but 3's my favourite by about a million miles - fantastic shot. Where is it?

Lovely set, but No 2 is my pick, and what holds it together is the FG yacht, without it the composition would be top heavy on the right, this provides a perfect counterbalance.

This is good work.

WOW....thanks so much for all your comments...you've made my day...actually you've made my year :) This was my 1st serious attempt at landscapes...just loved the reflections & the sunset colors

Mikeyt...#3 is from a little pull in about 1/2 way round Ullswater , either just before or just after Aira Falls...if that helps ?

Many many thanks again all...grinning like a cheshire cat :D

Last edited:
Hi Lynne, Great pics but from a critique point of view you've planted the horizon central in 1,2,5,and 6 which composition wise just doesn't do it for me. You really need a foreground to lead the eye into the photo. Maybe read up a bit on the rule of thirds and once you understand that go out and break it!. You are definitely heading in the right direction though.

A lovely set of pics, i recognise some of the viewpoints from my travels up here. You asked for pointers and my advice would only be to olso try out a stopper filter. A 10 stopper really does help bring some landscapes alive, particlularly very early morning shots with overcast skies. Would be worth having a look at that aspect.

Mrk Lj from Fikr uses these and i am always like his work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_lj/

I look forward to seeing more of your shots from the Lakes:)

Cheers for the crit guys....got a lot to learn & will take your info on board for next time.

Speedy....can see what you mean about the horizon being central...I was trying to get the reflections to be a mirror image in the ones you mention...suspect this is wrong with the rule of thirds ?(need to do some reading up ! ) & was def concentrating on the reflectons too much so failed to get any foreground interest :crying:

BobC...yup , proper set of filters is on the list for purchase this month though the 10 stopper you mention may be a touch outside my purse ...yet more to save for :eek: I've seen the Lee one's mentioned but way too pricey for me , would it work to stack several together ? Cheers for that link...some simply stunning shots :)

Many thanks again...it's good to know I'm in vaguely the right area (y)

Last edited:
Always one to push my luck....I've found a couple lurking on the last card of the weekend ...got a load more multiple exposures to play with once I've got round to purchasing Photomatix:D

Again no real foreground interest , I was more interested in getting the sky detail & reflections so my apologies to all you pro landscapers :crying:

DSC_5288 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_5265 by llj666, on Flickr

Once again...many thanks for looking (y)

I disagree Steve :p. If your going for symmetry as the OP has using reflections, then the horizon needs to be placed in the centre. The eye is then drawn into the centre of the image, and not out of it. If your going for a classic “Rule of thirds” then horizon needs to be on a third (usually the top third) and include foreground on the bottom third. (Rule of thirds does open up a debate on its own though :D).

Saying all that and I actually prefer the reflection shots. :) Nice set of images :)

Nice set of images. The 3rd one in the first set and the 2nd in the last set are my favourites.

Len

Some really good shots here Lynne. You definitely have a great eye for a picture :clap:

Last edited:
You should definitely do more landscapes - I really like these. We were in the Lake District during January last year and your photographs bring back some great memories! :)

One of my photos from that trip was my first and last to be 'explored' on Flickr - yay me! :D

Wow - the water reflections are so peaceful, so serene. They are the essence of tranquillity and I absolutely adore how you've captured the spirit of the scenery. Whereabouts was this? I am Lake District-bound in a month or so and would love to visit this spot!

Some lovely images there Lynne, #3 in the first set and #2 in the second for me, but also some great images on your flickr too, loving some of the pier shots :)

I disagree Steve :p. If your going for symmetry as the OP has using reflections, then the horizon needs to be placed in the centre. The eye is then drawn into the centre of the image, and not out of it. If your going for a classic “Rule of thirds” then horizon needs to be on a third (usually the top third) and include foreground on the bottom third. (Rule of thirds does open up a debate on its own though :D).

Saying all that and I actually prefer the reflection shots. :) Nice set of images :)

Cheers for that...was totally going for mirror images...they really appeal to me & that day was just perfect for them (y)

its 2 and 5 for me and then the 2nd one in the 2nd set
well done

Thanks for popping in (y)

Nice set of images. The 3rd one in the first set and the 2nd in the last set are my favourites.

Len

Cheers Len :)

Incredible reflections. I love the mysterious atmosphere in #5

Many thanks...tis a bit of an eerie image :)

I love 1, 2 and 5. Particularly 1 and 5 for the reflections and the mist.

I think the symmetry is just right for this kind of shot if you had placed the horizon on the third you would have lost the effect.

Thanks Steve ...glad you like them :)

Like others it's 1, 2 & 5 for me.

With 1 though I think rather than having a complete mirror it would possibly be a better landscape cropped to just below the reflection of the island.

Cheers Wayne...will give your suggestion a try (y)

Some lovely images there Lynne, #3 in the first set and #2 in the second for me, but also some great images on your flickr too, loving some of the pier shots :)

Many thanks for your kind comments (y)

Wow - the water reflections are so peaceful, so serene. They are the essence of tranquillity and I absolutely adore how you've captured the spirit of the scenery. Whereabouts was this? I am Lake District-bound in a month or so and would love to visit this spot!

Hi ya...1,2,3,5 & 6 are from various points round Ullswater , the bridge is Ashness near Derwent(I think)....hope you have great weather....& look forward to seeing your shots (y)

All I have to say is 2 and 5 are my favorites well done:clap:.

Thanks Bobman :)

You should definitely do more landscapes - I really like these. We were in the Lake District during January last year and your photographs bring back some great memories! :)

One of my photos from that trip was my first and last to be 'explored' on Flickr - yay me! :D

Cheers Sam... I dropped sooo lucky with the weather..almost perfect...def going back again , just hope for more of the same (y)

Some really good shots here Lynne. You definitely have a great eye for a picture :clap:

Many thanks for your kind words...beginners luck me thinks...but def up to try again :)

all stunning shots love no 2 the reflection is super

Back