A few more macros

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a couple I got tonight or a week or so ago, critique welcomed :)

bee3.jpg

plainfly.jpg

flymacro10.jpg

Lunch
flydinner.jpg

All are excellent but the third one jumps out even from these stunning shots.

Really well done.

Cheers Steve, I'll take that as a compliment considering your work :)

I missed one, which I quite like actually

flyonflower.jpg

Yep - all excellent, but No3 and that last one really stand out. :thumb:

dod said:
Cheers Steve, I'll take that as a compliment considering your work :)

Thanks but I have never got even close to getting this standard of work from my macro photography.

The last picture is the second best of these but the third picture still jumps out.

I really hope that you have some of the shots that you have posted recently printed and hung on your walls. As much as I enjoy looking at them here it would be a shame to limit your viewing pleasure to just the PC.

I like the first and last, the first could almost be licking his lips and rubbing his hands..."heeeeeer's lunch". Very good.
Ken.

Thanks again guys :)

Ken, it had just finished "lunch" and was cleaning it's tongue thing.

CT, thanks for showing me the flash technique, it's made a HUGE difference :thankyous

Oh, and Steve, our walls are covered in Horse and dog pictures. I might put some more up over the weekend actually, just had a week in Ireland with the Scottish Endurance riding team, I got pressganged into being the photographer for them as my wife's on the team. Got a couple of Gb's to go through though so we'll see what we have :)

That's good macro work by any standards Doddy. :icon_cool

I take it these shots are with your cameras hot shoe mounted Sigma flashgun? I think you have the Canon 100 USM Macro? You don't appear to be getting any lens shadow thrown onto the subject from the flashgun at macro distances which is incredible, especially with the 100mm lens! I was thinking about a dedicated macro flash set up at some stage, but I've been so impressed with the 580 EX I don't think I'll be bothering.

CT said:
I take it these shots are with your cameras hot shoe mounted Sigma flashgun? I think you have the Canon 100 USM Macro? You don't appear to be getting any lens shadow thrown onto the subject from the flashgun at macro distances which is incredible, especially with the 100mm lens! I was thinking about a dedicated macro flash set up at some stage, but I've been so impressed with the 580 EX I don't think I'll be bothering.

Yep, mounted on hotshoe and canon lens. I think the Sigma is slightly taller than the 580 and that's maybe why you dont get too much shadow.

I'm still wanting a ringflash set up, or maybe the canon twin flash unit but unfortunately have other priorities right now. :(

Well you know you have a great shot when you take something as mundane as a fly and make a beautiful picture out of it. It always amazes me to see close ups like this. The eyes always look fake on flies, and other bugs when their shot this close up, why is that? Anyway I like the third one the best,the colour ads to it. Nice detail in all though. Kinda nasty!LOL

Jewel :)

Great pics - I'd be proud to have any of these in my portfolio....

indeed, very cool

Thanks very much folks :)

Back