A few more MPE-65 practice images

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
As part of my ongoing familiarisation with the Canon MPE-65 I captured these in our garden today with an MPE-65 mounted on a Sony A7ii using a Sigma MC11 EF-Emount adapter and a Yongnuo YNEX24 lens-mounted twin flash. The raw files were batch processed in DXO PhotoLab and Silkypix, with image-specific adjustments in Lightroom and final sharpening with Topaz DeNoise AI or, for one of them, Topaz Sharpen AI.

Issues and shortcomings are discussed in this post in my "Journey" thread.

There are 1300 pixel high versions of these images in this album at Flickr.

1575 1 2019_11_17 DSC01191_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-AIC
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1575 2 2019_11_17 DSC01270_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIS

1575 3 2019_11_17 DSC01321_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-AIC

1575 4 2019_11_17 DSC01343_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h-AIC

1575 5 DSC01346_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIF

WoW, you are going from one to the other, The MPE-65 is no easy task to use but you used it really well (like a Duck to water). PS, I don`t have anything Canon so I have never used one of these lens.
Last 2 are really nice.

WoW, you are going from one to the other, The MPE-65 is no easy task to use but you used it really well (like a Duck to water). PS, I don`t have anything Canon so I have never used one of these lens.
Last 2 are really nice.

Thanks Graham. You are right, it isn't easy to use, as I'm finding out!

I do have a Canon 70D, which I got around five years ago along with the MPE-65 and Canon 100L macro that I sent back after a few days because what I got from those two lenses was no better than what I got with my close-up lenses (I kept the 70D). I think now, with more experience, perhaps I can get a bit more out of the MPE-65 than I did then. We'll see. This time round though I'm using it with a full frame Sony A7ii.

I might try it again with the 70D, and I could try it with one of my micro four thirds Panasonics, but on the Sony it gives me up to about to the maximum magnification I think I can handle out in the field, so using it on the 70D with its smaller sensor could give me more magnification than I can use effectively, and even more so for the Panasonics with smaller again sensors. (I didn't express that quite right. The MPE-65 will of course give me exactly the same magnification on all the cameras. However, used on smaller sensor cameras it will cover a smaller scene size for any particular magnification. So for example 5:1 on full frame will cover a scene height of around 4.8mm, but around 3mm on the 70D and around 2.6mm on the Panasonics. I can just about handle a scene height of 5mm or so hand-held (with a high failure rate), but less than that is probably not practical, for me.)

Back