A few mountain biking shots from today...

Edit My Images
Yes
Had a couple of hours in the woods at a local but secret MB track with multiple downhill tracks and jumps.

A selction of lenses used along with an SB800 which was set to manual at 1/8th power. Shot manually with various shutter speed and aperture to net what I was looking for from the shots. The bend pans could have been a stop slower but hey ho, first shoot with bikes in a long long time. These guys get some serious speed and some serious air.

Using flash, I also switched between first and second curtain to try some effects and applied the twist zoom technique on the odd pan.

Lastly, switched to cloudy white balance to bring out the browns and greens which was nicely lit by some diffuse light via the trees. Stumled upon a couple of mountain borders as well.....

Comments and questions welcome.

2483364243_d9fa87d4f1.jpg

2484186804_0cd108ca12.jpg

2483362209_2a2f61335b.jpg

2483360615_3f7f7deb64.jpg

2483358317_1ebb21d28b.jpg

2483355779_abe7337569.jpg

2483353969_954093cdb7.jpg

2484165304_2fdb9fa472.jpg

2483348247_588258172a.jpg

2483346551_437b3e5927.jpg

Great shots, I need to get out in the woods more!

Topless mountain boarding, that is crazy though!

nice set there Pete

I've spent a while on the zoom blur shots and can't decide if they do it for me :(

That's some air too !
where's my helmet........ I wanna go play :D

Amazing set!
What is the cable going from the board to the hand in the first shot of the second post?

wicked photos but I need to learn to read!! I read mountain bikini and though damn that must be cold :thinking:

Yeah, but the guy in the first boarding shots doesn't seem to have this braking system. Please don't tell me he didn't have brakes... :eek:

They are pretty easy to stop without brakes! Just do a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG powerslide!

Had a couple of hours in the woods at a local but secret MB track with multiple downhill tracks and jumps.

Great set of shots - I think you got the flash exposures just right - lots of MTB shoots have very dark backgrounds.

Care to share the secret of the track locations - looks like fun, and I do like to get both wheels off the ground where possible ;)

They are possibly among some of the best shots I've seen since joining this forum.

I dont want to appear a kiss ass, but they really are !

Everything is right, composition, dof, exposure, they're all nailed right there !!

Excellent work Mr Garcia !!

I'm genuinely in awe !!

They are possibly among some of the best shots I've seen since joining this forum.

I dont want to appear a kiss ass, but they really are !

Everything is right, composition, dof, exposure, they're all nailed right there !!

Excellent work Mr Garcia !!

I'm genuinely in awe !!

Well, thanks a lot. I appreciate the comment - I love snapping, its where I am happiest and I forget about everything and just be me....my brain tends to operate like a camera and think about how I want things before I take them. If you can master that you can become a good photographer.

Thanks again, and I mean that.

Great set of shots - I think you got the flash exposures just right - lots of MTB shoots have very dark backgrounds.

Care to share the secret of the track locations - looks like fun, and I do like to get both wheels off the ground where possible ;)

When I say secret, some of the riders worry about 'chavs' ruining the hard work that they have out in. To be fair, these guys have turned this land into a class place to ride with irrigation and are very green about what they do. So, its at providence in Bristol. Some lesser people turn up and smash up the hard work and start fires, which again is testament to the idiocy of some but not all.

Brilliant Shots - You can really sense the speed in them :)

When I say secret, some of the riders worry about 'chavs' ruining the hard work that they have out in. To be fair, these guys have turned this land into a class place to ride with irrigation and are very green about what they do. So, its at providence in Bristol. Some lesser people turn up and smash up the hard work and start fires, which again is testament to the idiocy of some but not all.

We have that sort of mental people up in the Sheffield area, instead of enjoying the courses they want to trash them, It also helps that we have a world class rider in Steve Peat living very close to me so its good courses and riders when hes out having a practice.

Nice shots there mate, looks like the Nikon is suiting you. (y)

I've been thinking about changing to Nikon but 2 things stopping me at the moment are the lack of 600mm VR lens's in the world and a top Nikon guy telling me to hold off until later this year for Nikon's new camera which is rumoured to me a major design step forward.

Lovely stuff mate. I have not been down to our secret trails recently (which should have a lovely canopy by now) but at Fort Bill this weekend so expect some mtb stuff will result.

Cool board! I want one!! :D

Lovely set Pete, not just the action shots but the ambience shots too, usual high quality :)

We have that sort of mental people up in the Sheffield area, instead of enjoying the courses they want to trash them, It also helps that we have a world class rider in Steve Peat living very close to me so its good courses and riders when hes out having a practice.

Nice shots there mate, looks like the Nikon is suiting you. (y)

I've been thinking about changing to Nikon but 2 things stopping me at the moment are the lack of 600mm VR lens's in the world and a top Nikon guy telling me to hold off until later this year for Nikon's new camera which is rumoured to me a major design step forward.

Yeah, I hear this too. A while back I said there may be DSLR's with interchangable backs looming, so I wonder if this may be the case. Either way, there is a Pro announcement next month.....time to sell the D3 I think.......:bonk:

To be fair, its a great camera, I did pilot the Canon system better but that was due to years of use and I could change settings on the fly without stopping. The Nikon is less intuitive at the moment but it will come. The top dial and wheel on the canons does suit speed snapping.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear this too. A while back I said there may be DSLR's with interchangable backs looming, so I wonder if this may be the case. Either way, there is a Pro announcement next month.....time to sell the D3 I think.......:bonk:

To be fair, its a great camera, I did pilot the Canon system better but that was due to years of use and I could change settings on the fly without stopping. The Nikon is less intuitive at the moment but it will come. The top dial and wheel on the canons does suit speed snapping.

I hear part of it is to do with extreme frame rates, something like film video speeds but at DSLR resolutions, and it will be primerially aimed at the photo journalist / sports togs.
I have also heard the interchangeable / modular approach to camera building from Nikon, just hope its true.

I have been using a pair of D3 with 600mm and 300mm glass and have to say its great, I get into a mess if i just try to change settings on auto pilot but if i think about it i'm ok. Just whish they didnt have a glass shortage as i would need a 600 4.0vr, 300 4.0vr, 70-200 2.8vr, 24-70 2.8, 14-24 2.8.

This is a superb set and worth many views - impossible to pick a winner but #1 is pretty damn close to taking the prize for me

Faultless set!

Stunning.
Stunning.
Stunning.
I just can not pick a favourite!

PS: Wicked sports too!

Back