A Few of my fav's

djs

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
So for my 100th post, I thought I'd share a few of my personal favourite pics from recent photoshoots.
To get some experience I've been doing quick 30 minute photoshoots at the local parent and toddler group.

All comments welcome! I could do with some tips for politely getting people to make orders. (that's if they actually like the photos in the first place). Some people have only just started placing orders for photos from like 2 months ago. Is this normal?

On the first 6 or 7 shoots I think I made the mistake of making the image resolution too high on the proof disc, and having a tiny watermark. So wouldn't suprise me if some people have printed them at home.

Oo, also, does anyone have any book recommendations for working with children?

Ah well, it's all learning!

Here they are

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:
some nice images there mate..

what have you been giving to people... a disc :shrug:

if so then if they are high res your not likely to get them comin back to you for prints,

almost every home has a printer nowadays and those prints are more than good enough for joe public..

like i said though nice images eyes its all in those eyes..

md(y)

Thanks Dave (md is monkey dave right?)

On the very first discs I gave out the resolution was 700x575, which at the time I thought would be ok. LOL

Since then, I've been dishing out discs with 400x350 resolution images, and a bigger watermark.

Thanks Dave (md is monkey dave right?)

On the very first discs I gave out the resolution was 700x575, which at the time I thought would be ok. LOL

Since then, I've been dishing out discs with 400x350 resolution images, and a bigger watermark.

just a thought have you tried something like jalbum

also most people have the tinternet.

this way they can see them but have to come to you for prints...

its also free(y)

md

Gorgeous pictures! 1,7,8 are my faves, as the posted above says, its all in the eyes!

I recently attended my kids school photos and although the 4year old loves the camera (sometimes a bit too much) there was no chance of my 2 year sitting still!

I chatted with the 'Tog for a bit, the way they work is all the potential client gets is a small printed sample for proofing, this is on a product sheet which shows the various options they can do, photo packs, bookmarks and what not. Then orders have to be placed by a set deadline or the price goes up. I guess they have a more captive market than you which they can "strong arm" a bit.

Fantastic images apart from #3, the colour and black 'bg' don't work for me. But #8 is my favourite, a realy happy moment I think. Super set, #1 is so cool and relaxed. (y)

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
I ordered no.7 on a3 acrylic (in colour). Not too sure what to expect as I've never seen the acrylic prints before.

Some smashing shots! :clap: Especially #1 :clap:

Can I ask what lighting setup you are using? (y)

Sure, It's 2x Bowens 500 kits (not the digital ones). Although I rarely get out the 4th light. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean actual setup and placement of the lights?

These are beautiful, you should definitely make and effort to sell em, i'm sure many parents would love them on the wall.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
I ordered no.7 on a3 acrylic (in colour). Not too sure what to expect as I've never seen the acrylic prints before.

Sure, It's 2x Bowens 500 kits (not the digital ones). Although I rarely get out the 4th light. Is that what you meant? Or did you mean actual setup and placement of the lights?

Thanks, that's great.
Wouldn't mind knowing the actual setup for #1 and #2 if you don't mind (y)

Thanks, that's great.
Wouldn't mind knowing the actual setup for #1 and #2 if you don't mind (y)

It's just 2 lights on the backdrop, and 1 light for the subject with a softbox. Most of the time this works. I find that there's no need to have complicated lighting setups when shooting kids.

Sometimes you can work out the lighting setup from the catchlights in the eyes.
You see in #1 and #2, the catchlights are in the top right of her eyes, so the light was coming from the right and slightly above.

However in #3, you can see 2 catchlights, which isn't something you want (cos there's only 1 sun). So this setup was 1 light from the right (main light), and a fill light for filling the shadows on the left side of the face. The fill light should always be positioned behind/above/infront of the camera.
So I probably should have edited out the 2nd catchlight really, my bad.

Hope that helps.

Back