A few of my recent photos, any critique welcomed.

Edit My Images
No
Hello all..

I took some photos at Bristol Balloon Fiesta last weekend and would love some opinions on my shots.
They were taken on a Canon 550d and are the first shots with my new canon 55-250mm lens.
They are also my first shots i have taken in RAW as i have been reading a bit about it and its something i want to start doing.
I am pretty happy with how they have turned out and also think my PP is ok although a more educated opinion would be great :)

Photo 1

IMG_8955 by Gasheadkev75, on Flickr

shutter speed - 1/250
Aperture - f8.0
focal length - 146mm
iso - 100

Photo 2

IMG_8952 by Gasheadkev75, on Flickr

shutter speed - 1/400
aperture - f8.0
focal length - 250mm
iso - 500

photo 3

IMG_8919 by Gasheadkev75, on Flickr

shutter speed - 1/250
aperture - f8.0
focal length - 70mm
iso - 100

photo 4

IMG_8930 by Gasheadkev75, on Flickr

shutter speed - 1/200
aperture - f7.1
focal length - 55mm
iso - 100

Thanks for looking :)

The last shot is my favourite too, much more interesting and fun to look at. The burner in shot 2 is burnt out which is a shame as otherwise it would have been a much better image.

My fav's are 3 & 4. I think 3 could have been a little bit closer but other than that a cracking shot. 4 would have been a little better slightly more to the left to get rid of the wayward balloon in right hand side of the shot and to not have cut off Mr Peanuts arm. But like I said still great shots (y)

So RAW huh, I started using RAW all the time a few months ago. Still shoot JPG if I need speedy shots as in Motorsport, but I found that really RAW is the way forward, especially with PP. You'll probably wonder why you ever used JPG one day, :LOL:

Rob Wright said:
The last shot is my favourite too, much more interesting and fun to look at. The burner in shot 2 is burnt out which is a shame as otherwise it would have been a much better image.

Thanks Rob, I didn't actually notice it was burnt out until you mentioned it..I was too busy marvelling over my work ;)
Seriously tho, is there a way I could have avoided it being burnt out?

You could have tried spot metering and taken a reading away from the burner, I'm guessing you were using evaluative metering which could have contributed to this.

DannoBoy said:
My fav's are 3 & 4. I think 3 could have been a little bit closer but other than that a cracking shot. 4 would have been a little better slightly more to the left to get rid of the wayward balloon in right hand side of the shot and to not have cut off Mr Peanuts arm. But like I said still great shots (y)

So RAW huh, I started using RAW all the time a few months ago. Still shoot JPG if I need speedy shots as in Motorsport, but I found that really RAW is the way forward, especially with PP. You'll probably wonder why you ever used JPG one day, :LOL:

Thanks Dannoboy, good feedback.
I still don't fully understand raw but it seems the way to go.
I actually shot them in raw+jpeg so I would have some thumbnails to work from in identifying pics in windows explorer.

Rob Wright said:
You could have tried spot metering and taken a reading away from the burner, I'm guessing you were using evaluative metering which could have contributed to this.

I was using evaluative metering yes as I thought if I used spot metering it would blow out the rest of the picture?
Metering is another subject I am experimenting with to learn more about it.

No 2 could have done without the heads in the way, and perhaps a bit more of the balloon in view, though that would be down to taste.

Love no4, nice colours and composition. Would probably crop a bit of the r/h side as the object isn't fully in the frame, but again that's personal taste.

Still, I'd be very happy with those pics though. :)

alltaken said:
No 2 could have done without the heads in the way, and perhaps a bit more of the balloon in view, though that would be down to taste.

Love no4, nice colours and composition. Would probably crop a bit of the r/h side as the object isn't fully in the frame, but again that's personal taste.

Still, I'd be very happy with those pics though. :)

Thanks alltaken, totally agree about the heads, and no.4 didn't really think about the cropping like that but looking at it again I agree with you.
Thanks for the critique and advice, much appreciated :)

Back