A few questions about lenses (Advice Please)

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hi Folks,
I bought a nice Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens from a fellow TP member a couple of weeks ago and im looking to see if it is possible to fit this http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1011646 to it for extra reach.

Am i also right in saying i lose the f2.8 value using the above any idea what f stop i would end up with when fitted. If anybody can mention another make rather than the Kenko as im not set on this make.

Next question im looking at a choice in two lenses, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (non hsm model) and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. Does anybody have any thoughts on these lenses and maybe some test shots from either.

Cheers folk...

Yes, you can fit that tc onto the Tamron, but you'll end up with a max aperture of f/5.6, the iq will also be degraded - quite a lot.

Some people love tcs, personally I've never been happy with the results...

Yes, you can fit that tc onto the Tamron, but you'll end up with a max aperture of f/5.6, the iq will also be degraded - quite a lot.

Some people love tcs, personally I've never been happy with the results...

Oh right did'nt think the IQ would suffer, any idea where i could see an example of this..

Oh right did'nt think the IQ would suffer, any idea where i could see an example of this..

Anything you put between the sensor and what you are shooting will have an impact on iq, 1.4tcs are generally considered to produce acceptable results, as do some 1.7s, 2.0s tend to be quite soft. You could have a look at the Sigma tcs as well, I think Jessops stock them, so the Sauchiehall St branch might have one you could try with your camera/lens combo before buying.

Anything you put between the sensor and what you are shooting will have an impact on iq, 1.4tcs are generally considered to produce acceptable results, as do some 1.7s, 2.0s tend to be quite soft. You could have a look at the Sigma tcs as well, I think Jessops stock them, so the Sauchiehall St branch might have one you could try with your camera/lens combo before buying.

Do they fit ok? Sorry for what might seem a daft question but i have no idea how these go.

Fit like connecting your lens to the camera, just connect to lens before connecting TC to camera, Its just extra glass between sensor and front element of your lens.

Ok thats that sorted, now what about the lenses i mentioned any opinions on them.

iirc Sigma's TCs are really intended as dedicated to their lenses.

the 24-70mm 2.8 is a FF lens & the 18-50 2.8 is a crop lens so you obviously have to consider whether you see yourself going FF at some point as well as the different focal ranges & whether they suit your current intended usage.

iirc Sigma's TCs are really intended as dedicated to their lenses.

the 24-70mm 2.8 is a FF lens & the 18-50 2.8 is a crop lens so you obviously have to consider whether you see yourself going FF at some point as well as the different focal ranges & whether they suit your current intended usage.

Well see thats what im not sure of. It will be a long long, long time before i see full frame but i have looked at the exif on a good few of my shots and i never touch the 18mm side to be honest, well maybe the odd time but most of it i sit inwith the 24mm.

I dont get what you are getting at with the ff and crop how does that affect me?

I dont get what you are getting at with the ff and crop how does that affect me?

If you have a bag full of crop lenses then buy a full frame camera it'll be start again time,

The 1.4x kenko pro 300 DG is the one you should go for if you want a longer lens, it'll take that 70-200mm f/2.8 to a 280mm f/4 , do tamron make dedicated teleconverters for their lenses

If you have a bag full of crop lenses then buy a full frame camera it'll be start again time,

The 1.4x kenko pro 300 DG is the one you should go for if you want a longer lens, it'll take that 70-200mm f/2.8 to a 280mm f/4 , do tamron make dedicated teleconverters for their lenses

^^^ Way to go. This one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1008102 There is no free lunch with telecons but this particular Kenko has a very good rep, when paired with the right lenses. Pretty much as good as the Nikon. I'm guessing here, but I think it would suit you okay. A 2x TC is pushing it - you'll just ruin a good lens.

The thing about lenses designed for crop cameras is that they are cheaper, smaller and lighter than similar lenses designed for full frame, and often have more range. Pointless buying a FF lens if you're never going to use it's full potential.

Ok thanks for the teleconverter advice and the 24-70 sigma is a no go.

Right how about,

Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4

Anybody sing praise on either of these?

Back