A few recent MX shots

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
few recent ones from me, including the British Minibike Championship last weekend pics 4-5-6

DSC_9495 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

18963626950_1904205708_b.jpg

a1554 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

41jpegblur by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_4083 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_3818 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_3461 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

cheers

Last edited:
Nicely composed shots, needs more motion in the wheels though. They look too static.

Thanks, would be nice to have the motion but i dont have the time to waste lots of shots to get one good one, these as with all my MX work are for sale on the day with onsite printing so i need to have as close to zero duds as i can. its not a hobby for me, its my full time job...

Last edited:
Great composition which really shows the action at its best. 1,2 & 3 for me, keep up the good work Harry

Thanks, would be nice to have the motion but i dont have the time to waste lots of shots to get one good one, these as with all my MX work are for sale on the day with onsite printing so i need to have as close to zero duds as i can. its not a hobby for me, its my full time job...

A really good point that a lot of general punters forget. It's not a jolly as a pro, you have access to do a job, it's just not on to go back to your client with one shot.

You have a better view as an accredited photographer but the wide majority have a lot of pressure and tight deadlines that virtually eliminate any kind of opportunity to risk experimenting like the general public do :)

A really good point that a lot of general punters forget. It's not a jolly as a pro, you have access to do a job, it's just not on to go back to your client with one shot.

yeagh we get that.. but he put them up here for critique and when he gets some hes straight back with an excuse why he cant do that....

personally i think they are great pics.. shame about the snotty attitude really..

Reactions: SW
yeagh we get that.. but he put them up here for critique and when he gets some hes straight back with an excuse why he cant do that....

personally i think they are great pics.. shame about the snotty attitude really..

Agreed great shots, I'm not sure it's snotty to explain your process and reasoning though... looks pretty reasonable to me :) always easy to misinterpret the written word

I reckon they're a cracking set. In MX especially I don't think freezing the action is a problem and in fact I think for the most part it makes a better picture. With all the dirt, dust & crap being thrown around it's clear there is movement and a lot of the detail would be lost with a slower shutter. The swirls and patterns in the dust being thrown up would just blur out if it was a slow shutter to get lots of wheel blur. Also the stop/start nature of MX makes it hard to set a shutter speed for freezing the action and keeping the wheel blur.

B->

What snotty attitude ? i was just explaining why. And when did i ask for critique ? ive got zero interest in what your opinion is anyway lol

Images are great, loving 2 and 3
Quick question, to get the motion would you advise using a flash on second curtain sync???

to get the motion you really need a lower shutter speed and pan the shots, but with MX you will get a large amount of loses as the bikes are very erratic and bounce around, unlike for instance road racing bikes which tend to be shot at much slower speeds because although they are very fast they are also very smooth and tend to hold there line. At times i shoot at f2.8 to get a nice depth of field but on a sunny day it results in very fast shutter speeds.

that said the last shot above is at f2.8 but has a shutter speed of 1/800 which is fairly slow compared to some professional MX togs so has some movement in the tyres, also by shooting in away that the wheel spokes can not be seen helps

Last edited:
Reactions: SW
Back