A few recent shots taken with a variety of cameras

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
The following are chosen from a group of films I took in April but didn't get round having processed until recently.I was spurred on to sort them out because I have just sent off another eleven MF films for processing, mostly taken with Zeiss Nettars and Ikontas. I have managed to get three Zeiss folders, 6x9, 6x6 and 6x4.5, which have good shutters so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

I'm going to take one to Eroica Britannia in Bakewell this weekend.

I think a few things went wrong, some of which needed quite a bit of post processing. For example, amazing though the Rolleipar is from the point of view of sharpness, I underestimated how bad the lens flare is if you have a bright light source in the background. It gives the shot a nice vintage feel though.The pinhole shots, made with Superia 100, were very flat and needed a big contrast and saturation boost. There is also a flare issue with the Nettar 515/2 which has an uncoated lens, but on the whole it is pretty good for a 70 year old.

All the films were processed by AG, scanned with an Epson V700 and tweaked in Photoshop/Lightroom.

1134_009-9
by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography
Rolleicord IV with Rolleipar 2 on Fuji CN400

1136_004-4 copy
Mamiya C220 on Fuji RVP 100F (converted to black and white)

1143011-5
Zeiss Nettar 515 on Fuji CN400

1145002-2
Home made 6x9 pinhole camera (based on an Ensign camera body) on Fuji Superia 100

1145007-6
Home made 6x9 pinhole camera (based on an Ensign camera body) on Fuji Superia 100

1147004-3
Zeiss Nettar 515/2 on Fuji Superia 400

Really like the first two, Peter. Lots of character in that first face. Maybe a bit further from the window might have balanced up the two sides a bit better (but what would I know, hey :) )? The mask is lovely. The two pinholes didn't float my boat (though good on you for converting an old camera for the purpose, hope it was one with a dodgy lens or iris), but the last one is also very nice. Lucky you to get all three Zeiss folder sizes in apparently good nick.

Thanks. The mistake I made with the portrait was to shoot too much into the window. I should have shot parallel to the window and then lens hood would have protected the lens from the bright light. I think the picture was shot at 1/4 second (on a tripod) as it was a dismal day outside. If I had moved the subject away from the windows I am guessing it would have been too dark. The camera I cannibalised to make the pinhole camera had a defunct shutter. Along the way I have owned a few dodgy Zeiss folders, in fact still do. Not that I paid much for them but eventually I struck lucky and now I think I have cameras which are pretty reliable.

Great to see a new selection of film cameras hit the forum and some fantastic results. Did you make your own pinholes for the folder? The results are very good, I particularly like the daffodil shot it has a really nice feel to it.

Thanks for comments. I used a Pinhole Factory etched pinhole in the camera. This is the camera, just after I finished it.

IMG_0496

If there is one drawback to the camera that is that it doesn't have a viewfinder which reflects the coverage. The effective focal length is about 14 mm on 35 mm, comparing diagonal coverage. The Ensign viewfinder is for the standard 110 mm (or so) lens so I guess that equates to an equivalent of about 50 mm. So the viewfinder only indicates if the camera is pointing in the right direction, actual framing is hit and miss.

Liking the young John Lennon. If only he were holding an old guitar..

Thanks for your kind comments. I just got another few films back from AG and I have improved my hit rate, I'm glad to say, in that there are less total failures and blank frames unlike the last batch. The processing, by the way, is really good, the negatives were all absolutely spotless. The only spotting I had to do was to fix the dust I introduced when I scanned the negatives.

/]
12176-1436191456-5e45e94b41220a4f2a78d9d7e18cf8a8.jpg
[
10755 by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography - Buddha during respray operation (he's gold now) - Minolta X300 35mm F2.8 Rokkor on Fuji Reala

by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography -- Miniature waterfall, Creetown - Zeiss Ikonta on Fuji Superia 400 (1/4 sec hand held)

by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography - Ruined house, Creetown - Zeiss Nettar 515/2 on Fuji Superia 400

by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography - Kirkmabreck Church, Creetown - Zeiss Nettar 6x4.5 on Ilford XP2 Super

by PeterSpencer on Talk Photography - Water wheel hub, Gatehouse of Fleet - Zeiss Nettar 6x4.5 on Ilford XP2 Super

All very nice indeed and great to see such an eclectic mix from so many good old cameras. I'm very impressed with the pinhole conversion as well.

Andy

Back