Critique A few shots from the last couple of weeks

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent last week in Slovenia scouting for my upcoming workshop in September and this week I'm in Tuscany leading a tour so thought I'd post a couple of shots from the trip.

The weather has been dreadful in Tuscany all week and this morning was the first real sign of any decent conditions. We've still been out and about every day but it's very frustrating not being able to shoot the wonderful landscape.

Anyhoo.

1 - Early morning mist in the Slovenian Hills :)

2 - Lago di fusine - near the Slovenia / Italy border

3 - Bohinj on a stormy day

4 - Jesero Jasna - Slovenia

5 - Jamnik church - Slovenia

6 - Mist in Tuscany - this one was taken this morning, annoyingly I've knocked the focus ring every so slightly so it's a tad soft at 100% but still a nice scene.

Cheers for looking :)

Nick

Last edited:
Hard to pick a favourite - think one of the lakes ones!

it all looks lovely.

i went to yugoslavia as a kid with the family the year before the war, to what is now Croatia, but i think we had a day trip to some amazing caves that were in Slovenia. I've always wanted to go back now im an adult and can appreciate a bit more but just havnt got around to it!

Number 1 is clearly the stand out, but like all of these I think the tones are a bit ‘muddy’ - worth trying levels or curves adjustments to boost brightness and contrast in a natural way. The composition is great in #1 though as are the layers through the shot and drama of the sky. The last is pretty nice too but in the bottom left corner there appears to be a couple of cables intruding into the frame. In combination with the focus issue these things need to be addressed, especially if you’re tutoring others.

I agree with Neil first is wonderful in a lovely set

First and last for me, but beautiful set all told.

No 1 is the stand-out for me. The layers in the scene work so well.
2 and 4 are very similar, but the clouds over the mountains spoil the feel of no 2 (the clouds would have worked on a greyer day), no 4 needed either a full on reflection in the lake or a lot less reflection (using a CPL) as it is, the ripples make it a distraction.
5 is good, though it's a shame about the scaffolding on the church.
6 is no longer loading, so I've no idea what it's like.

I'm going against the crowd here and have to say the 'underwater' feel to the processing of the first shot ruins it for me. Yes it is a lovely layered composition, really well seen and excellent scale. The cut off house on the right is the only downer. The almost monochrome sky with yellow, then the cyan mist and blue green mid ground trees just doesn't feel right.

Arguably shot 5, the church is the pick of the bunch, minus the scaffolding and a slight punch of the whites of the church itself. The ray of light and composition is (again) very good.

I'm going against the crowd here and have to say the 'underwater' feel to the processing of the first shot ruins it for me. Yes it is a lovely layered composition, really well seen and excellent scale. The cut off house on the right is the only downer. The almost monochrome sky with yellow, then the cyan mist and blue green mid ground trees just doesn't feel right.

Arguably shot 5, the church is the pick of the bunch, minus the scaffolding and a slight punch of the whites of the church itself. The ray of light and composition is (again) very good.

2 and 4 for me although in 4 with the man made stuff in the frame mars it somewhat. I doubt a lot of workshop clients would care - but I would to the point I'd be cloning it seeking a less touristy spot to shoot.

There is a probably with the colours in 1. The shadows/mist aren't neutral but near green. I'd love to see the RAWs but my approach would be in curves or levels to set the "white" and "black" points individually for the red, green, blue colour channels and try get rid of that.

Back