NSFW A Finished Project - 'Be Careful With Knives'

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Wasn't sure whether the NSFW tag applied with 'wounds' but I added it anyway.

So 6 weeks ago, I fumbled a Stanley knife and it fell on my foot, severing the EHL tendon and that vein that runs down the top of your foot. I'm still hobbling about & not driving yet, but getting there slowly. The bonus is that my big toe now moves.

It was my first GA and quite a scary time. I was used to taking my wife to a private hospital for her long standing hip issues and private rooms are standard. This was an NHS trauma case, and very different! That said, the NHS were brilliant - and once I had a bed, I was in and done.

Recovering at home was a struggle. My wife is on 2 crutches (has been for 4 years now) and so I've done a lot of the heavy lifting. With both of us off our feet - everything became a challenge. Basics - like food shopping, cooking, showering... Being non-weight bearing on one leg meant hopping everywhere. Even a brew has to be drunk in the place you made it (yay for thermos cups!). Needless to say, the whole thing has been a bit of an exercise in understanding powerlessness.

So staring at the window, I made a decision to try and document the 'event' with my iPhone, and this week, put everything together into a single A3 print which is going on the coal hole door as a reminder. Dropping something sharp can be very dangerous - not just in terms of the actual event, but the recovery and impact on daily living for a long time afterwards.

A Finished Project
by Ian, on Flickr
(Click through for a bigger version on Flickr)

All-in-all I took about 60 photos and had to narrow it down to about 12 4 inch squares. The test of whether it "worked" was my wife who had a good laugh, and asked me to explain the reasons for my choice. In giving this explanation, I found that maybe a couple of pictures aren't perfect, but as I can't go back in time, that's how it is. Each image was taken pretty carefully, with what I'd consider to be 'thought' going into framing and exposure, but I discovered that it would have been better if I'd kept a mental track of what I'd taken, as many of the images were very similar - taken days apart. Also - I lost count of the amount of times I wanted a shot but didn't have my phone with me. Going back to get it was too exhausting, so that's another lesson learned.

I've had a few projects 'ongoing' over the years, and the brief for this one was to actually start and finish within the time it took for me to get my pot off. The outcome was to be a single print.

Keeping the project very small and concise was actually a really good idea as it kept me focussed on what I was trying to do. For me - the best part was that I could actually finish something. And with it on the wall - hopefully I'll be a bit more careful next time.

Last edited:
I think you have done very well there, I do like the way the images tell the story, I maybe would have placed the stanley knife shot first. Overall a great idea and just goes to show how something positive can come from a negative situation. (y)

Good stuff. I'm a bit of a sucker for grids and I like the way this one has been arranged to make it work as a whole.

The only thing confusing me is the cat!

I think you have done very well there, I do like the way the images tell the story, I maybe would have placed the stanley knife shot first. Overall a great idea and just goes to show how something positive can come from a negative situation. (y)

Thanks. We were due to go on holiday four days after my Op. We didn't get the insurance in time. Had to find a lot of gratitude in order to negate all the 'if only's'. The knife I wanted in the middle, but in a 3x4 grid that 'aint gonna happen. Seeing my foot was the biggest shock. The cut itself was maybe 1cm across, but they had to 'dig around' to find the ends of the tendon. Funnily enough, the surgeon looked quite worried when he explained the need for a huge scar. I was just glad he'd fixed it so I could move my toe. Perspective eh?

Good stuff. I'm a bit of a sucker for grids and I like the way this one has been arranged to make it work as a whole.

The only thing confusing me is the cat!

I spent hours talking to that cat. He'd just look at me like that from in his cat cave. No judgement, just a stare. When you're stuck in the same place, ordinary becomes a daily focal point.

Good idea.
Now can I make the suggestion that you shouldn't run when carrying scissors :D

Daft isn't it. You never think it'll happen to you. Funny thing is that I'd just finished spraying the inside of the new chicken house with chemical mite killer. Had a mask, overalls, goggles, steelie wellies, the works. Came out of the shed, stripped off 'cos I was so hot and then dropped the knife.

Ah well - everything happens for a reason.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Wow, Ian. What a nightmare :eek: Several lessons to be learned - yes, be careful with knives, but also don't take health, fitness and mobility for granted. I hope when you are finally recovered there will be no lasting damage. I am terrified of knives (especially sharp ones) but will be extra careful in future. I bought a new set of kitchen knives a few months ago and cut myself twice just taking them out of the packaging!

Great idea to take these shots and the A3 grid displays them very nicely.

I wish you luck with the rest of your recovery.

I like the "story" a lot. With my wife's operations (and a few of my own) I know where you are coming from. One of my favourite pictures of her is post op, with some crazy horror film like scar on her leg.

Oh and I had wondered if the cat had been involved in the injury before I read the other posts.

Last edited:
but also don't take health, fitness and mobility for granted.

Thanks Jenny. This is the most important thing I think I've taken away from the experience.

Oh and I had wondered if the cat had been involved in the injury.

Thanks James. My wife has a 12" scar down her thigh from a hip replacement and then a revision 12 months later. It's a right mess. And cats & crutches don't mix - so it's only a matter of time...

Thats scary! Great idea although to get the result was a bit extreme :)

Great work on the mini project Ian but more importantly wishing you a speedy recovery.
They do say that artists suffer for their work but this is taking it to another level.

Is that an arrow drawn on your thigh in the last frame?
Was that so as they operated on the correct foot? The Stanley knife size cut not enough of a hint as to which foot? ;)

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys.

Is that an arrow drawn on your thigh in the last frame?
Yep. I'm glad they did because every person I spoke to referred to the injury being on a different foot. Never looking up from paperwork.

It's a reminder to me to double check everything that's really important - no matter how daft it might seem.

Back