A first attempt at long exposure seascape

Edit My Images
No
Hi :D

Struggling a bit with hosting images, so I've had to chop this down to a reasonable size!!

18mm, ISO 320, F/10, 75 seconds.

DSC_1938a1b.jpg

Tell me if you can see the image......

If not use this

Shortly following this, I dropped the remote shutter into the rock pool that the tripod was sitting in, tried to catch it, went head over heels and then had to wade into 2ft deep water to retrieve my lens cap :p

Last edited:
Sounds like an eventful session!
First question, why ISO 320? Were you using filters? As the image seems to have a very purpley blue colour cast, while the rocks are very orangey red. Strange colours going on. Your horizon is very slightly sloping. Compositionally I'd crop to the bottom of the central sticky out small rock. I think this is an occasion where a central horizon could work well. Can you recover any shadow detail in the rocks? Great first attempt none the less, and sorry if any of it sounds harsh.

Sounds like an eventful session!
First question, why ISO 320? Were you using filters? As the image seems to have a very purpley blue colour cast, while the rocks are very orangey red. Strange colours going on. Your horizon is very slightly sloping. Compositionally I'd crop to the bottom of the central sticky out small rock. I think this is an occasion where a central horizon could work well. Can you recover any shadow detail in the rocks? Great first attempt none the less, and sorry if any of it sounds harsh.

Ok, this was just after sunset (behind the island in the background), It was my last day there and I was annoyed with myself for missing it.

I got there already set up for sunset, I think I was using a 10 stop Haida filter, the lowest ISO on the D90 is 200 and I ramped this up a little to bring the exposure time down enough to shoot between the passing tourist boats, the colours there are actually pretty representative of the colours on that evening, though I did bring out the colour a bit in PP to get a more dramatic effect, so I could potentially get more rock detail back. The rocks are lit on one side by distant street lighting, something I hadn't predicted (having a love/hate thing with that). I also PP'd out some rogue light trails from boats near the horizon.

Strangely enough, It's levelled by a small spirit level which I laid on top of the hotshoe, but as with quite a few other shots I took, I think I should have gone for a visual level instead of actual.

To be honest I also "got my hands on" CaptureNX recently and im about half way up the learning curve :LOL:

Last edited:
Back