Beginner A first (sort of) professional camera for a 13yo daughter.

Name
Giannicola
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I want to buy a first camera for my 13 years old daughter. She never had a proper camera, but she look very motivated, so I wanted to buy her a camera with which she could immediately begin to learn manual settings, possibly a few different lens and so on. My budget is limited. For reasons I can't explain to myself I want to buy a DSRL, but by no means I want to spend more than 400-450 pounds, though I would be happy to spend less tnan that, if possible. Unfortunately I have very limited if any knowledge, so what I can do to give an idea of what I'm looking for, it is something in a range from a Canon 350D to a Canon 650D.
I hope this is not outside the scope of the forum, and I thank you for any suggestion you may wish to provide about what camera to buy. I also hope to become an active member, once I've learned something following the steps of my daughter! :)
Cheers,
Giannicola

Edit: Sorry, I spotted a mistake in the thread title (I instead of A), but I can't edit it :)

Last edited:
I'm not against the dslr idea but I'd just stick with one lens to start with even if it's a modest zoom, and see where it goes from there. I'd even counsel second-hand to reduce the cost at this point because it's something of an experiment as to what her preferences will eventually become ..

Last edited:
First:
If you click on 'Thread Tools', you can change the title.

If you have the budget for the 650d then that's the camera to get (if it was for you I'd recommend s/h but as it's a gift...)

However, you really ought to go and try a few other makes out for ergonomics / usability. If the camera isn't intuitive to use it'll present barriers to you both learning.

That said, I prefer the way Canon's feel, but I understand we're all different - you should see me perform with a Nikon (I need a swear filter)

From a Nikon perspective there are some really good deals on the D3200 at the moment, which is a great little camera. A do it all kit would include a 55-200VR and a 35mm f/1.8 lens and that will cover pretty much all eventualities (and is my lightweight option, with a D3200, when I can't be bothered to lug around a pro-spec camera).

It really is worth going to a shop to try a few though, for my first camera I was determined I wanted a Canon but then went to the shops and walked away with Nikon as it just felt 'right'.

I can't thank you enough for all this valuable informations! This is a great forum and I hope to become an active member soon :). I'm starting elaborating right now and passing the information to my daughter. I'll be back soon with updates, thanks a lot!

I'd go with a second hand 400D for around £70-100, get a "nifty-fifty" lens for £60 and then a basic zoom depending on what sort of photography she thinks she'd like to do (landscape, wildlife, street, etc).

Thank you Broric, this looks very wise :) I just have to go over that "a gift must be new" feeling and that "money buys time" temptation... :( I'm sure it would be great, though, to go through a value for money process with my daughter. :)

@Phil V I managed to change the thread title, thank you!

Thank you Broric, this looks very wise :) I just have to go over that "a gift must be new" feeling and that "money buys time" temptation... :( I'm sure it would be great, though, to go through a value for money process with my daughter. :)

@Phil V I managed to change the thread title, thank you!
No problem
If you can go second hand, I'd definitely recommend it. It's such a shame you're new here, there's a great buying and selling community when you get access to it. But you might be as well going for somewhere like MPB where you'll pay a bit more but you'll get a warranty. Fortunately, entry level cameras fall into 2 broad brackets - hardly used and killed in action. Because people buy them and either give up or plunge in headfirst. The latter will often sell their entry level kit almost straight away though (so there's 2 lots of hardly used)

What sort of camera does your daughter use and what sort does she want?

Hi,

Although I've not personally tried one have you considered the Canon 1200D - this one (link) at Currys has two lenses (EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 & EF 75-300 mm F4-5.6 III) and a bag - all you'd need then is a SD card and you're good for £369

There the same body at MPB (link), but thats second hand and £269 - its mint- (so basically as good as new), but you'd want a lens - the 50mm at £64 (link) is a good starter, excellent IQ but fixed length.

Personally I'd go for the twin and probably get a 50mm too if she wants really nice bohek style shots.

Last edited:
Just purchased the Currys deal for my granddaughter who is starting a college course, upgraded her from my good old 350D, seems good value to me, there are so many third party add on's to complete a decent kit, well worth it.

Last edited:
I'd consider a bridge camera. Massive zoom range and in a body that looks like a dslr. Panasonc and Sony do good ones as well.

Thank you for the suggestion srichards I will learn more about bridge camaras, thanks to your links :)

No problem
If you can go second hand, I'd definitely recommend it. It's such a shame you're new here, there's a great buying and selling community when you get access to it. But you might be as well going for somewhere like MPB where you'll pay a bit more but you'll get a warranty. Fortunately, entry level cameras fall into 2 broad brackets - hardly used and killed in action. Because people buy them and either give up or plunge in headfirst. The latter will often sell their entry level kit almost straight away though (so there's 2 lots of hardly used)

Thanks Phil, I've seen I could by a great camera for less than £400 on this site.

What sort of camera does your daughter use and what sort does she want?

She hasn't yet had an opportunity to use a "real" camera. She's attending a school were they have a good program for visual arts (they also have a yearly novie festival for senior pupils). She worked for a while with some old Kodak camcorders but apparently she is more interested in the charme of still images... I think she'd prefer a DSLR because she is mainly interested in the "point of view" when it comes to shoot a picture.

Hi,
Although I've not personally tried one have you considered the Canon 1200D - this one (link) at Currys has two lenses (EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 & EF 75-300 mm F4-5.6 III) and a bag - all you'd need then is a SD card and you're good for £369

Thank you very much for the information. I've passed the information to my daughter, she will go an check soon (unfortunately I won't be there before mid September :( ).

Just purchased the Currys deal for my granddaughter who is starting a college course, upgraded her from my good old 350D, seems good value to me, there are so many third party add on's to complete a decent kit, well worth it.

Thanks Jimybell :)

I can't say how your kindness goes beyond any imagination of mine, thank you everybody :)

No problem

tbh if you've got the cash for a 650D I might be tempted to buy a S/h 50D or 60D instead as you'll get more camera for you money - and if you go somewhere like MPB and get a mint or EXc+ one it will be boxed and to all intents and purposes new anyway

I'd say all she needs to start is the body and a kit lens (18-55 IS - about 50 quid second hand) if she gets into it in a big way there'll be a load more xmas and birthdays (and loans from the 'bank of dad)' to get other lenses and kit later

tbh if you've got the cash for a 650D I might be tempted to buy a S/h 50D or 60D instead as you'll get more camera for you money - and if you go somewhere like MPB and get a mint or EXc+ one it will be boxed and to all intents and purposes new anyway

I'd say all she needs to start is the body and a kit lens (18-55 IS - about 50 quid second hand) if she gets into it in a big way there'll be a load more xmas and birthdays (and loans from the 'bank of dad)' to get other lenses and kit later

I'm seriously thinking to this BBM, thank you. I want my daughter to go to photography classes (I know there are various valid options in Manchester), so having a good camera could prevent her from finding an excuse for quitting early! I think it is vital for a teenager to have an interest, and I was happy that, when asked, she mentioned photography, showing keen interest.

Honestly, the budget equivalent to a 650D is more than I hoped to spend, but I'm ready to give up things on my side to buy something valid and durable. The other option is to find a real bargain for a camera with less specs, budgeting to buy a better one in the future, hopefully.

I'm seriously thinking to this BBM, thank you. I want my daughter to go to photography classes (I know there are various valid options in Manchester), so having a good camera could prevent her from finding an excuse for quitting early! I think it is vital for a teenager to have an interest, and I was happy that, when asked, she mentioned photography, showing keen interest.
Honestly, the budget equivalent to a 650D is more than I hoped to spend, but I'm ready to give up things on my side to buy something valid and durable. The other option is to find a real bargain for a camera with less specs, budgeting to buy a better one in the future, hopefully.

Hi Gianni,

if you think you may upgrade in the near future, that is even more reason to buy second hand. But definitely go to a shop and try out the various brands and models.

I am more familiar with Nikon, so my recommendation for the budget may be a used d200 and a used tamron 17-50 lens. i have had a look on mpb and the camera is going for around £160 and the lens for just over £200:-

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...s/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d200-1
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...f28-xr-di-ii-vc-lens-with-motor---nikon-fit-1

Whilst this wont be the latest model, the camera will give you far more control than anything you could get new for the budget you are looking to spend, and the lens is a very well regarded 'do it all' lens. Note that it doesnt have live view.

But the most important part in selecting a camera is how it feels. Another factor that impacted the decision i made when i first bought a dslr was that my brother used Nikon so i could borrow his lenses!

Edit, if you wanted to spend a little less, look at the Nikon D80, if you wanted to spend a little more, take a look at the D300.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are for and against for getting a DSLR as a first camera but what i would do is join a camera club theres a wealth of knowledge there. we have had several youngsters start and we have still have them and they are very good photographers, plus there grandparents and parents have started to.
as for a camera get a short list and go and try them i would not start with an entry level but go up a stage or 2 so you won't out grow it.

Hello, I want to buy a first camera for my 13 years old daughter.

The important thing is to check with her what she would like. If she becomes genuinely enthusiastic about photography she will want a camera she can take with her everywhere, everyday, with her family, with her friends, or on her own. A DSLR is a very good option, but they're big, heavy and awkward, very obvious and not at all discreet. Find out what she thinks, because if she isn't comfortable carrying it around it won't be used.

I'd suggest something smaller such as a Panasonic/Olympus micro-fourthirds, or the Fuji X-E1 (with the 18-55mm and 27mm lenses). There's a significant movement on this forum with people moving to these smaller bodied cameras (including me).

If you want to give her something really magical, get her a film camera. You can pick up a good solid SLR off eBay for very little money. Something like an Olympus OM2, with an excellent 50mm f1.8 lens would be around £100. That leaves a lot of spare cash for buying film and getting it processed. :)

You can pick up film from Poundland and get it developed in Asda for a few quid. Or better still, get her some B&W film and learn to process it together at home. The equipment to do that will cost about £30 to get started and then it's about 75p per film for the chemicals. I guarantee she will be 100 times more excited seeing those images come out of the tank than she would ever be flicking through snaps on a memory card!

I am a 13 year old beginner photographer. I have recently upgraded from my Canon 450d. The canon was a great starter camera which dad got me for around £150. It came with the standard 18-55 kit lens. Then later I got a 55-250 zoom lens. I found this kit a great starter kit in which I got to know how the camera works. All in all around £300 altogether for a decent starter kit DSLR. Recently I have jumped ship to Nikon d5100, with a 18-55 kit lens and a few of my dads lenses. I'd the Nikon cost £300 altogether including the money I got from trading the canon.

I'd definetley recommend having a look for either of these 2 kits. Depending on where you live you may or may not have a London Camera Exchange. I got my Nikon from here at a decent price. So if there is one near you. Go and have a look and see if they can do a deal. (Always up for negotiation (my Nikon was originally £350, and they took £50 off)). Anyway all that said have a look. If not. There's sales on here which tmyou may be able to acsess I'd you've been a member for the required time. Anyway. Long speech over
But hope this helps. :)

I'll toss in the Nikon D90 as another candidate. The image quality's not far off current standards, and has features missing from Nikon's lower end models, particularly two control wheels, rather than just one, making for less need to dive into the menus, and an internal AF motor, opening the option to use older, cheaper lenses lacking their own AF motors.

I was very pleased with mine, and was only tempted to trade up when the D7100 arrived, with just enough improvements that I could justify the expense to myself. Used, MPB have several for £254, such as this one. As for a starter lens, perhaps this Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6, for £69? I know I found having a broad focal length range very helpful when I began with DSLRs, letting me get a feel for what focal lengths I tended to use most.

Back