A Friend in High-Key

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
A friend popped over the house today so I had a play about with the new setup.

C&C Welcome:

3441607601_805c0dbf58_b.jpg

3442433998_f1a5ae1125_b.jpg

3441612701_595ef7df9c_b.jpg

3441624087_16b4ea2f8c_b.jpg

3442386238_462548be0a_b.jpg

3441602679_37999197e7_b.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

i like em , very good images

have you done something with the teeth in the last one ? they look strange round the edges

Thank you, I've whitened the teeth in that one but pushed them to look really white - You can see the larger image here if you so wish.

Cheers,

Jason

thanks for that , looking at the bigger image i can see what you mean

also i apologise for my wording , "strange" probably isn't the best description !

as i said though they're all excellent

Oh no, it does look a little odd - Or very sharp edges due to the brightness of them I suppose :)

Number your images!!!! :) Number... (counts) 4 is my fave :D

I like them, very catalogue worthy! They arent high key though, you better read up on your definition of it (y)

hi, i like the images im looking to have a go at something similar myself. obviously youve done some photoshopping to give them the high key look. What did the images look like before you did the photoshopping?

Im new to DSLRs still and everytime I see the high key stuff its always the after images and you never see before stuff to see how theyve altered if you catch my drift.....

any help would be great
Thanks

Thank you for the comments all.

I like them, very catalogue worthy! They arent high key though, you better read up on your definition of it (y)

Could you point me to a decent definition please, I really thought these were High Key - Sorry.

What look is this as I've been putting it about as High Key? damn.

hi, i like the images im looking to have a go at something similar myself. obviously youve done some photoshopping to give them the high key look. What did the images look like before you did the photoshopping?

Im new to DSLRs still and everytime I see the high key stuff its always the after images and you never see before stuff to see how theyve altered if you catch my drift.....

any help would be great
Thanks

I used a Lastolite HiLite for all of these pictures, here's an image straight out of camera, although it's been resized and converted to sRGB for the web;

Hunter_SOOC_01.jpg

You could also a bare bulb or whatnot behind your subject to blow out the background, full length shots are also a little different using a train.

Again, this is straight out of camera but resized and converted to sRGB for the web:
Hunter_SOOC_02.jpg

After:
3442393624_d00c7df5dd_b.jpg

Something like that you would want to create a new curve/level layer, adjust the white point, bring back the subject and the do some selective burning - Well, that's what I did for it.

Cheers,

Jason

thanks jason, sorry ive been busy and forgot to check back at this thread.

thanks for posting up your photos, like I say I sometimes wonder how images look prior to processing and how they are changed if you get me.

Thanks again something to work on
Rob

Hi Dork Night.
Many people think that if you have a white background it's high key. High key really means that the picture is dominated by tones in the high end. So the dark jacket means it's not a high key image.

Where did you get your shiny thing you've used in the last pictures. Also not quite sure your after is of the before picture, but it's not important as it still shows the difference well between what came out your camera and ended up being used.

No 2, looks a bit too girly pose for me. Apart from that one, I like them all.

Thanks for the reply (Nathan?),

Yes, I was having a scan of high key and looking at the histograms, it seems some would be high key and some not due to the reason you mention - Just interesting how I would tout such a shoot.

Bah, it is the wrong image inst it - This should be the correct one:

Hunter_SOOC_03.jpg

I used a piece of acrylic, it's fractured in a few places as I put a chair on it, so I would need a thicker piece (perhaps 8mm or thicker) - You should be able to grab it from a DIY store, I had a look in B&Q, Focus Do It All and an indy, I went with the indy as they had the best size where the other stores didn't have any in stock.

I think the one I grabbed is 4mm thick and it was a tenner.

I hope that helps and thank you for the reply.

Jason

Jason,

Really like the reflective look you get from that acrylic. Poss a daft question but is the acrylic clear or white opaque in colour? Also, what size sheet of acrylic did you go for? Good advice about getting the thicker stuff too!

Thanks in advance,
John

Hey John,

It's the clear/transparent stuff, I did go on a mission to find white tile board, pretty epic failure so this is the next best thing (IMO) and pretty cheap.

I think the size I went for was pretty much 3ft by 4ft, the next size up was too big to fit in the car but to be honest, this is just about the right size for the house as it can be slid behind the sofa or whatnot.

Cheers,

Jason

I like the acrylic idea. So it's clear acrylic, placed on a white surface. Neat.

I think the jeans and jacket are not light enough in their colours to be high-key. It's my understanding that high-key is pastel like colours. Nice images though.

Hi John,

Not a problem, just ask in store for acrylic, perspex or plexiglas - They should have a grasp of at least one of those.

Good Luck,

Jason

Can I ask what set up you use with your Hilite?

I'm going to B&Q tonight to get garden furniture... I'm going to get some perspex too!!!! Love the images x

On that I was using an Elinchrom D-Lite 4 with the HiLite, Vivitar 285HV with shoot through umbrella to camera right, and due to limited space, the Fong Dong camera left on my Metz 58 AF-1.

Did you manage to find anything at B&Q?

On that I was using an Elinchrom D-Lite 4 with the HiLite, Vivitar 285HV with shoot through umbrella to camera right, and due to limited space, the Fong Dong camera left on my Metz 58 AF-1.

Did you manage to find anything at B&Q?

Wasn't able to get there tonight but will definitely go on the weekend as I'm looking forward to experimenting with it!!!

Back