A Frosty Morning at Chatsworth

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all

with the coming of the snow & heavy frost over the Christmas weekend I tootled out to Chatsworth....didn't get the shots I wanted but came away with some I'm happy with....though on closer inspection at home I have got issues with them,dust spots being one - sensor has duly been cleaned ! . Camera / lens seemed to lose the ability to focus , it was bleeping to say focused but it appears it might have been lying...most frustrating ! Possibly be ok at christmas card size for next year though :)

1....not Chatsworth but Lady Bower...got distracted by the lovely still water & fab reflections....
DSC_4743 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

DSC_4856 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

DSC_4861 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5000 by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

5....ran this through Nikfx & quite liked the minimal effect
DSC_4854_filtered by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

Need to get out & try the camera / lens again to see if it was pilot error or if I do really have a problem.....& really hoping we get that same type of weather again this winter.......fingers crossed ;)

Thanks for looking

Thats a cracking set Lynne!
#1 for me closely followed by #3 (y)
(nothing wrong with the others BTW :) )

Superb set and yes I can see why you got distracted with image 1 - pick of the bunch for me :)

I like all of those

Thats a cracking set Lynne!
#1 for me closely followed by #3 (y)
(nothing wrong with the others BTW :) )

A wonderful set Lynne, the last one of the set is outstanding. The whites look so natural, I could see that as a postcard image.

Nice set all round well taken

Thanks one & all...it was a glorious morning , one I hope will be repeated this winter as there are so many opportunities at Chatsworth :)

I like them all but the last shot would get my vote. Just on the pernickety side at the base of the trunk on the right hand tree it looks like broken branch which you may want to clone out. Does not stop me really liking this shot though.

Lovely set of images Lynne I cant choose between 3, 4 & 5 myself.

I suggest a different lens to the 18-300mm (too mucch of a compromise IMO) for landscapes myself. I can imagine the lack of contrast in some those scenes would make the AF hunt. I would have been using MF anyway myself as I do mostly for landscapes.

Last edited:
I like them all but the last shot would get my vote. Just on the pernickety side at the base of the trunk on the right hand tree it looks like broken branch which you may want to clone out. Does not stop me really liking this shot though.

Thanks Mandy....a fresh pair of eye's is always good...I shell remove that twig before printing (y)

those are beautiful shots, Lynne

Beautiful set, 3 and 5 for me. I love the misty ethereal feel in 3 and the clear area under the tree stands out. Lovely textures and more of that mist in 5, nicely processed.

Cheers guy's....appreciate you popping in & glad you like them :)

Love the mood and feel of 3 & 5 . Great composition in #3 and it's be interesting seeing it in B&W also.

Lovely set of images Lynne I cant choose between 3, 4 & 5 myself.

I suggest a different lens to the 18-300mm (too mucch of a compromise IMO) for landscapes myself. I can imagine the lack of contrast in some those scenes would make the AF hunt. I would have been using MF anyway myself as I do mostly for landscapes.

Thanks Alf....you've raised a good point . The 18-300 is my walk about lens & seconds as my landscape lens , generally it works just fine but it really struggled last weekend in those conditions . I tried manual focus but my eye's were running so much due to the cold I struggled with that as well :rolleyes: I have a 10-20mm but for these it really was too wide .So....my question is what lens would you recommend ? I'm currently on a crop body but hoping to go Full Frame this year so I'm already looking for a lens which will cope with the FF body ....any suggestions much appreciated (y)
2 and 3 are excellent. Well done.

Cheers Karl :)

The colour has it's merits as does the B&W conversion with the B&W having a more timeless feel. But I couldn't choose between them.
Excellent photography and processing too!

All great shots, 1 ,3 & 5 outstanding. Thanks for sharing these shots - all from my old stomping ground.

The colour has it's merits as does the B&W conversion with the B&W having a more timeless feel. But I couldn't choose between them.
Excellent photography and processing too!

What a morning… really like 2 and 3

Thank you all so much , I was really pleased with these & it was such an amazing weather morning unlike any I've been out in before , but it's really encouraging to know other's like them as well ,thanks again (y)

A great set there like them all

Thanks Alf....you've raised a good point . The 18-300 is my walk about lens & seconds as my landscape lens , generally it works just fine but it really struggled last weekend in those conditions . I tried manual focus but my eye's were running so much due to the cold I struggled with that as well :rolleyes: I have a 10-20mm but for these it really was too wide .So....my question is what lens would you recommend ? I'm currently on a crop body but hoping to go Full Frame this year so I'm already looking for a lens which will cope with the FF body ....any suggestions much appreciated (y)

Lynne
I am not a Nikon user and would suggest others may be better placed to advise on which lens.
I see why MF was an issue.

Cheers Karl :)
Hi Lynne i'm going to come back and comment on your photographs.... Love them BTW.
Just going out, but I use I Nikon and the lenses I use is either the 24-70 f2.8 use this for most work it's a great lens. Also use the 16-35 f4 that's also a nice lens. My 24-70 lives on the camera. I have also heard that the 24-120 f4 is a good walk around lens.
Back tomorrow....
All the best
Steve

Some nice atmospheric images there. #5 is my favourite

Hi Lynne I'm back!
I love this set! Got a thing about trees and these are captured beautifully! I love 3 and the same tree in 4, they are great shots, the green sheltered circle around the base of the tree really adds to the shot I really love them.
In 2 I like the way the 2 trees behind that are devoid of snow and frost make a great background for the smaller snow covered tree in the foreground.
Lovely reflections in no1 with great light hitting that bridge.
Lovely pair of trees in 5, just needs the stick removing.

Well done really nice set.... I hope you sort out your camera problems, I have a couple of spots on my sensor but i won't be any more adventurous than using a blower, they don't worry me too much because there always in the same place so easy to identify and get rid of, just annoying. Will get it cleaned shortly. Hope you get your focus sorted too....
Steve

I like 1. The reflection on its own here, given the rippling, isn't strong enough to carry the image on its own. I agree it needs some foreground interest. However, the angle of the jetty IMHO leads you out of the frame, not in. It jars slightly. It sometimes lines up straight, I've shot from here over 2yrs ago in the summer.

2 is ok, bit central, 3 is better, the river acts as a lead into the frame and the distant mist acts well to add atmosphere and make you wonder about the little bridge. The B&W works well, but add some contrast I think.

5,6 ok but the 2nd is the keeper

Beautiful set Lynne love number three and five.

Hi Lynne i'm going to come back and comment on your photographs.... Love them BTW.
Just going out, but I use I Nikon and the lenses I use is either the 24-70 f2.8 use this for most work it's a great lens. Also use the 16-35 f4 that's also a nice lens. My 24-70 lives on the camera. I have also heard that the 24-120 f4 is a good walk around lens.
Back tomorrow....
All the best
Steve

Hi Lynne I'm back!
I love this set! Got a thing about trees and these are captured beautifully! I love 3 and the same tree in 4, they are great shots, the green sheltered circle around the base of the tree really adds to the shot I really love them.
In 2 I like the way the 2 trees behind that are devoid of snow and frost make a great background for the smaller snow covered tree in the foreground.
Lovely reflections in no1 with great light hitting that bridge.
Lovely pair of trees in 5, just needs the stick removing.

Well done really nice set.... I hope you sort out your camera problems, I have a couple of spots on my sensor but i won't be any more adventurous than using a blower, they don't worry me too much because there always in the same place so easy to identify and get rid of, just annoying. Will get it cleaned shortly. Hope you get your focus sorted too....
Steve

Many thanks Steve .....that stick will be going before I get it printed....& you've picked out all the very reasons I took the shots...couldn't have said it better myself (y) & thanks for the lens info.....I've taken a look at costs , currently they're all a little out of my league so the saving starts here(y) Focus I think was pilot error (usually is !) & the dust spots have been banished.....

Some nice atmospheric images there. #5 is my favourite

Cheer Jonathon:)

I like 1. The reflection on its own here, given the rippling, isn't strong enough to carry the image on its own. I agree it needs some foreground interest. However, the angle of the jetty IMHO leads you out of the frame, not in. It jars slightly. It sometimes lines up straight, I've shot from here over 2yrs ago in the summer.

2 is ok, bit central, 3 is better, the river acts as a lead into the frame and the distant mist acts well to add atmosphere and make you wonder about the little bridge. The B&W works well, but add some contrast I think.

5,6 ok but the 2nd is the keeper

Thanks for the detailed input Steve .It's a shame the jetty wasn't more pointing toward the distant bridge but not a lot I could do about so went with what I'd got....everyone views images differently & for me the jetty pulls my eye to the houses on the banks then the tree's take my eye across & down to the bridge .Really wish I'd taken the time to set the tripod out & smooth the water a bit but it really was a grab shot as I wanted to get to Chatsworth :(
2 was intended to be central ( or as central as I could get it ) ,not sure why but I wanted it that way....breaking the rules is good for the soul sometimes :D
& I'm still getting to grips with mono conversions...everyday's a school day but I'll try more contrast as per your suggestion (y)

Beauitful. We haven't had any snow down South yet.

Thanks Chris....I'm eagerly awaiting the next downfall....hopefully we'll get some more this winter :)

A wonderful, crisp set there, Lynne, I'm really kicking for not getting out!

Of the set it's #4 for me. The composition, exposure are bang on, but I really like how the green grass below the tree contrast against the snow.

Lovely reflections in #1.

You really are convincing yourself to go FF and are dragging me along with you :).

As for lens, well, if I do go FF my first lens is likely to be the 24-70 :)

Cheers.

Back