A Garden Hoverfly

Super set. Lovely colours, clarity, detail and compositions.

Very interesting to see what the EM1 II with 60mm macro can do at such slow shutter speeds. Does that combination use dual IS? IS tends not to do so much when close in, but at 1/60 sec for #2 and 1/80 for #3 I imagine it must have helped here, assuming you were working hand-held.

I see you used f/5.6. Did you crop these much?

Last edited:
Agree with Nick, lovely colours and comp.
Love the BG in the 1st one, and that 2nd shot, is that a Bulls testicle ;) the Hover is hanging on too...
All lovely shots though, keep it up and I/we await your next instalment of macro stuff.

Very nice work I like them
How are you getting on with the 60mm Zuiko

Super set. Lovely colours, clarity, detail and compositions.

Very interesting to see what the EM1 II with 60mm macro can do at such slow shutter speeds. Does that combination use dual IS? IS tends not to do so much when close in, but at 1/60 sec for #2 and 1/80 for #3 I imagine it must have helped here, assuming you were working hand-held.

I see you used f/5.6. Did you crop these much?

Thanks Nick, your comments are much appreciated. I have to admit I'm not sure about the dual IS. These were hand-held and it was quite breezy, so there were a lot of images that were rejects. They are cropped and I've shown one of the uncropped ( but processed) versions below for comparison

Hoverfly by Pete C, on Flickr

Agree with Nick, lovely colours and comp.
Love the BG in the 1st one, and that 2nd shot, is that a Bulls testicle ;) the Hover is hanging on too...
All lovely shots though, keep it up and I/we await your next instalment of macro stuff.

Thanks Graham. I love your description of the poppy bud as a Bulls testicle. I shall have that image in my head now everytime I see a poppy!

Very nice work I like them
How are you getting on with the 60mm Zuiko

Thanks Alf.

I'm slowly getting used to it but need to use it much more. I've just swapped from full frame Nikon with a Tamron 90mm macro which I used a heck of a lot and was comfortable using. Am liking the quality of images from the Olympus and need to explore more what it can do. I'll try the in-camera focus stacking when I get a chance.

Thanks Nick, your comments are much appreciated. I have to admit I'm not sure about the dual IS. These were hand-held and it was quite breezy, so there were a lot of images that were rejects. They are cropped and I've shown one of the uncropped ( but processed) versions below for comparison.

Thanks, that is helpful and very informative. At those shutter speeds in breezy conditions I'm not surprised there were a lot of rejects. Quite apart from the breezy conditions, I am a bit surprised (in a very positive way) by the image quality for slow shutter speed hand-held shots. The EM1 II seems like a very competent camera. (I know, it's not just the camera, but I'm sure you know what I mean. :))

I'll try the in-camera focus stacking when I get a chance.

I'll be interested to hear how that goes. You might be interested in my experience with in-camera focus stacking with my Panasonic G80. As a result, if/when I do get around to doing more stacking I will use focus bracketing and stacking software on my PC. This gave me some results I quite liked with the Olympus 60mm macro on the G80 (examples here - the rest of that thread might be of interest too).

Back