A Garry Winogrand Challenge?

Edit My Images
Yes
More than anyone else, Garry Winogrand led me to take an interest in street photography. His pictures often have a certain something that draws the viewer in and causes them to linger.

He had a very matter-of-fact philosophical perspective on photography, what photographs are, and how they should look. Essentially, he held that there are no rules with regard to things like composition. This is perhaps most obvious in his work where the camera is deliberately tilted - he would consider what he wanted to include in the frame and would manipulate the camera to achieve that, regardless of the effect it had on the horizon and verticals. He said that most of his images don't quite make it in terms of being selected for publication - his modus operandi was basically to let the pictorial ideas flow freely while taking pictures, and to edit ruthlessly much later, long after any emotional association with an image had faded.

To me, his approach is very pure, direct, and uncluttered. Even now, decades later, it can be hard to disregard conventional ideas about photography and photographs. With this in mind, I'd like to propose a challenge that takes cues from Winogrand's approach. The criteria I have in mind are...

Street photography.
Any 35mm rangefinder or compact camera.
Fast B&W film such as Tri-X, HP5, etc.
Unconventional compositional elements, such as wonky horizons.

The idea is to try Winogrand's methodology by using fairly similar equipment and media, with the emphasis on stepping outside the comfort zone of conventional thinking about what photographs are supposed to look like.

No timescales in mind at present, other than fairly long to allow time to take photographs, and to then forget them for a while before selecting entries. I guess it could start at any time, and I'm thinking of late Autumn or early winter next year for the closing date. Could possibly have more than one entry per participant - although a challenge tends to have a fixed number, I'd like to encourage participation and posting of work.

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jao
So would a Trip 35 count?

Ooh. Might do this. I’ve never done street photography and always try and get horizon straight so not doing that might be a really fun idea.

I’ve got an XA which I assume should be ok and far too much XP2 to use up :)

I'm sure he used a 28mm lens mostly for street ?

I'm sure he used a 28mm lens mostly for street ?

Yup, an M4 and a Canon 28/2.8 (and later the Leica version). He used wider lenses like a 24 and 21 but eventually settled on the 28 since it's the widest you can go without the perspective being noticeably stretched.

Definitely count me in on this, Winogrand is a huge influence on my street photography.

Any thoughts on how the challenge should be structured? Should it even be a challenge, as such, or just a thread for those that fancy giving the Winogrand approach a try? As I said in my original post, I'd like to encourage participation and posting of work. I think I'm envisioning something more like a workshop or focus group, and not so much a challenge with entries and votes. Something with plenty of pictures, and maybe some comment and constructive feedback.

I should mention that I'm not into threadnaughts, so even if it's more of a 'post your work' thread, I'd still like to keep it to a finite time (like, starting around now and ending next November or something). I guess it could still be called a challenge, but would be a very informal one.

I’d favour a relaxed approach to this challenge too.

Well street shots have never been my thing.....but thought the Yashica T5 (maybe previous models before) would be ideal as you can use it for "waist" level viewing as well and Joe public wouldn't mind so much compared to pointing the camera at them.

Well street shots have never been my thing.....but thought the Yashica T5 (maybe previous models before) would be ideal as you can use it for "waist" level viewing as well and Joe public wouldn't mind so much compared to pointing the camera at them.

Time to get the TLR out as well then. (y)

I'm guessing thr TLR might not be appropriate for this, as Google got me these scary stats for Garry. Wow. (y) http://erickimphotography.com/blog/...grand-can-teach-you-about-street-photography/

(Left behind at his death)

• 2,500 undeveloped film = 90,000 photos
  • 6,500 developed (but not contact sheets) = 234,000 photos
  • 3,000 contact sheets = 108,000 photos
  • Total: 432,000 photos
(In Winogrand’s Archive)

• 20,000 contact sheets = 720,000 photos
  • 100,000 negatives = 3,600,000 photos
  • 30,500 color slides = 1,098,000 photos
  • Total: 5,418,000 photos
In total (on the low end) we can be certain that he shot at least 5,850,000 photos in his lifetime. He passed away and never saw nearly half a million of his shots (432,000 photos) and in his archive they have around 5,418,000 photos.

With the exception of oddities like the Yashica T5 mentioned above, this is for compact/rangefinder 35mm cameras rather than TLRs, assuming you mean of the medium format variety. (That would be a Vivian Maier challenge, I guess.)

Yes, he was incredibly prolific. Part of what makes this a challenge is trying to get shots that work with far less rolls of film.

I'm guessing thr TLR might not be appropriate for this, as Google got me these scary stats for Garry. Wow. (y) http://erickimphotography.com/blog/...grand-can-teach-you-about-street-photography/

(Left behind at his death)

• 2,500 undeveloped film = 90,000 photos
  • 6,500 developed (but not contact sheets) = 234,000 photos
  • 3,000 contact sheets = 108,000 photos
  • Total: 432,000 photos
(In Winogrand’s Archive)

• 20,000 contact sheets = 720,000 photos
  • 100,000 negatives = 3,600,000 photos
  • 30,500 color slides = 1,098,000 photos
  • Total: 5,418,000 photos
In total (on the low end) we can be certain that he shot at least 5,850,000 photos in his lifetime. He passed away and never saw nearly half a million of his shots (432,000 photos) and in his archive they have around 5,418,000 photos.

Huh! I wonder how many cameras he wore out.

With the exception of oddities like the Yashica T5 mentioned above, this is for compact/rangefinder 35mm cameras rather than TLRs, assuming you mean of the medium format variety. (That would be a Vivian Maier challenge, I guess.)

Yes, he was incredibly prolific. Part of what makes this a challenge is trying to get shots that work with far less rolls of film.

Hmmm, so this is really the "are you better than Garry Winogrand?" challenge!:D

Huh! I wonder how many cameras he wore out.

Unknown, but his last M4 was certainly well worn...

https://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm

Down to the brass in a few places. Fairly common on black paint finishes, but unusual on chrome. There's an article elsewhere that reckons he went through about 12,000 rolls of film with it, and it's reputedly still being used. There's also a picture of him with an M3, where he looks a bit younger than he did in interviews in the early 80s (fortyish, rather than early fifties). Don't know if he wore that out, or switched to the M4 for the wider field of view in the finder.

So, I thought I'd add a photo to the thread. :)

Not totally sure that this counts as Winogrand-like, but I'll let others be the judge - please feel free to give feedback and criticism.

It was taken with my Canon Sure Shot Telemax compact on Tri-X.

FILM - Two men with shopping trolleys
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
I rather like this. My first thought was "it's a street shot of people's backs", but there are some dualities when you look a bit more. There are the two guys with the trolleys and, to the left of them, another two in fancy jumpers, also with their backs to the camera. And there's a third duality with the two black-clad figures flanking these four and walking in the opposite direction. The tilt adds a strong dynamic by placing the three pairs along a diagonal. The only thing I would do is crop a bit from the right-hand side to remove the two dark figures in the middle distance, and maybe a little off the top to bring it back to a 3:2 aspect ratio. Scrolling about and moving the window partially out of the monitor's display area results in a tighter and stronger composition to my eye.

Thanks. You're right about the crop - I've re-uploaded it now and it's much tighter and dynamic, I feel.

The shot was anintentional one to photograph the two guys with trolleys - I foillowed them a short distance until I got a clear shot, but it was the symetry that drew my attention and I was fortunate enough to capture the moment where their steps and body positions are synchronised and mirror one another almost perfectly. The guys in Christmas jumpers and the approaching people in dark clothing were happy accidents in the timing of the shot. :)

And the 2 girls walking towards camera both wearing leather trousers. :)

......and the guy far left looks odd....trousers tucked into white socks o_O

cyclist or homeless, who knows, it doesn't do much for me tbh, it has no hook that forces you to notice things like dodgy knitwear in the first place.
I mean, you can examine it but what would motivate you to examine it further than a glance, apart from the fact people are posting what they noticed.
I bet Winogrand had a absolute barrow load, but probably wouldn't publish them, with his throw away method of capture there has to be something on the millions of frames he shot that wouldn't make the cut...:)

I think those are all valid criticisms John. Given the volume of work Winogrand produced, the odds are its probably better than some of his shots, but I make no claim to it being even slightly close to his good stuff. It was more a case of me thinking it would be a good fit for this thread and might kick-start others to post a few. :)

I can't claim to be an expert as I shoot very little 'street' shots but occasionally I get something I like.

This took a little PP to get the feel of the scene I saw, converted from colour, bit of contrast faffing and I lightened up the girl a little to bring her out of the background.

The-Girl-in-the-Crowd-b&w-blur by Andy, on Flickr

I think it was a Minolta Hi-Matic on Vista 200.

I've got a couple of rolls of Kosmofoto on the way, so this might be a good opportunity to test it out! My little XA4 would be perfect :)

Back