A good camera for video vs camcorder?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
No
Hi

First post here so I hope I’ve posted in the right place. I’m a complete novice when it comes to photography and a bit less of a novice when it comes to video

For the past few weeks I have been looking at a camera that could potentially be used for high quality photos for work (mainly product photos) and then some video stuff for personal (recording music videos etc). I have been looking mainly at the Canon M50 vs M6 mk ii and possibly the Canon 90D/6D mk ii - I prefer the size of the 90D to the M6 mk ii.

An additional possible use has come up which is live streaming and recording our church services when we are able to start meeting again and I’ve just read about the 30 minute limit on most mirrorless/DSLR cameras. After a bit of research, I have found that the Panasonic GH5 seems to be the only mirrorless in my budget that doesn’t have this 30 minute limit (although I am very much a Canon fan). Also looked at the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K but have read it’s no good for live stream.

So far, camcorder wise (and sticking with Canon), I have looked at the Canon XA40 camcorder which will allow the use of an XLR feed from the mixing desk at church into the camera, larger batteries and dual memory cards, so that would perhaps be more ideal for the church project, but it doesn’t have image stabilisation so may need to up my budget to get the XA50 (unless there are recommendations for another brand).

So, I thought I would ask for advice from you good & knowledgable people as I’m wondering if I would be better off buying a camcorder AND mirrorless combo.

So far my options are looking like:
1) Panasonic GH5 to use for both uses.
2) Canon XA40/50 for video and Canon dslr/mirrorless for stills.

Would sincerely appreciate thoughts/opinions.
Thanks in advance

Hey Gareth!

You probably have the same question as many photographers who start to venture into doing videos, I know I had that question.. and sometimes still do :)

From my own experience, I would go with the camcorder and mirrorless combo.
Of course there are extra costs to this, but you would get a dedicated camera for each use.
Which is really helpful, especially if you often think you'd run over the 30min limit on the video.

Even if you do not, I have found out that many of the cameras that I owned (used to be Canon, now Sony) did start to get warm when I had a long day of shooting that involved both stills and video. So I have for a while now had a dslr/mirrorless for my still work (and can handle small video jobs) - and then a videocamera for jobs requiring more complex video stuff.

If you are set on the Canon ecosystem - you could always look at some second hand EOS C100 or other cameras - if you have good set of lenses, etc already?

I personally have used (not EOS C, I know :) ) the Canon XF series cameras a bit.
And still have my XF205 that I use as a second camera (even if I am about to sell it away - as I have now moved to Sony all the way).
The XF205 - I do really love it as a camera and those on the 2nd hand market don't cost the earth.
So from my experience - you would be more than OK with that sort of camera... haven't read enough about the XA40 to know how that compares to the 205.

Guess it depends if you already have some gear that you are using .. lenses, etc.
Or if you are willing to invest in new mirrorless and videocamera..

If I'd still live in the UK - would have been more than happy for you to have a test go with the XF205 to see if that would have been any good for you.
But .. back in Finland at the moment, and with COVID-19... traveling isn't much of a thing at the moment.

Hopefully there is something useful there for you - and welcome to the forum.. hope you'll find it useful to be around here!!!

Don't buy a cheap camcorder you will regret it

As for camcorders do have a look at the panasonic range. I have a Panasonic HC-X900M I got in June 2012 for £842 , expensive as camcorders go but considering
its age and the number of countries visited well worth the money. Only once went once back for the sliding switch replacement from pictures to video to review, so can't complain.
very hard to get a used one now, newer models are worth a look , This model of mine has internal memory and SD card memory can be used together -over run.- video/still in any combo.

Also worth getting a Sennheiser MKE400 microphone for around £200 or that is what it cost at the same timeas the camcorder.

you need to consider a "dead cat" wind noise muffler, The best i could find was the Gutmann £28.50 as it has the longest hairs and worth getting

6Z2PxTI.jpg

Note the cheap extenders to keep the hair off the lens

Of course sound is just as important So here is what it is like on boared ship with tricky lighting and without deadcat

deadcat test
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o

As for it taking stills just a quick hand held snapshot. Beach in Brazil where I have been several times

dAbjx2C.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get a Fuji X-H1.

If you are live streaming you could use the Eos Webcam utility with any recent Canon DSLR.

Welcome to TP :)

I’ve found dedicated cine cameras to be much better for video than dslrs/mirrorless. I started expanding into video about six years ago, and have always stuck with Canon. After borrowing C100 quite a few times I ended getting a C200 and it is extremely good. One very useful feature is “face only” autofocus. This means if focus on the face is lost, eg goes out of frame) then the camera does nothing unless the face comes back. This is not available on canons dslrs.

For DSLRs, the 30 minute limit can be avoided using external recorders like Ninja V.

For live streaming you will likely need more than one camera and sound input. Atem mini is a great option for live switching.

hope this helps

Welcome to TP :)

I’ve found dedicated cine cameras to be much better for video than dslrs/mirrorless. I started expanding into video about six years ago, and have always stuck with Canon. After borrowing C100 quite a few times I ended getting a C200 and it is extremely good. One very useful feature is “face only” autofocus. This means if focus on the face is lost, eg goes out of frame) then the camera does nothing unless the face comes back. This is not available on canons dslrs.

For DSLRs, the 30 minute limit can be avoided using external recorders like Ninja V.

For live streaming you will likely need more than one camera and sound input. Atem mini is a great option for live switching.

hope this helps

But the Ninja V is very expensive. By the time the op buys a DSLR and the Ninja V rig up, he may as well buy a dedicated Video camera.

But the Ninja V is very expensive. By the time the op buys a DSLR and the Ninja V rig up, he may as well buy a dedicated Video camera.

Definitely worth thinking about a dedicate video camera, my best experience has been with the canon cine line, probably because I'm used to canon.

Ninja expensive? It's relative, for me payback on gear from filming work is much faster than photos. Most pieces of kit have paid for themselves in the first one or max two jobs.

Back