A good (cheap) camera/ tripod for a complete beginner?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a complete beginner to photography and I'm wondering what kind of camera is best for me to buy in terms of value being more important than quality...

I'm also looking at buying a tripod to go with it; what kind is best?
Thanks in advance :)

I'm a complete beginner to photography and I'm wondering what kind of camera is best for me to buy in terms of value being more important than quality...

I'm also looking at buying a tripod to go with it; what kind is best?
Thanks in advance :)

That's quite a broad question to be honest.
What do you wish to photograph, what's your budget?

If you could try and say what you'd like to photograph and what your budget is people might be able to give you better help.

Try to give a little more info...

"I like landscape photography and I have a budget of £500..." something like that might help :D

Ah! :D As above! :D

Or if you want to travel light around the globe or if you're taking pics of the kids in garden?

Point and shoot or full pro slr body with lenses a plenty

In summary, what I'm after is a decent point- and shoot, suitable for mainly building photography and perhaps people photography. I'm mostly interested in urban exploring, and that's what kind of camera I'm looking at. I've seen good quality photos taken on a cheap camera held together with sellotape, so I thought that I could have a budget of less than £200. Also, are most tripods suitable for most designs of camera?

Thanks again :)

In summary, what I'm after is a decent point- and shoot, suitable for mainly building photography and perhaps people photography. I'm mostly interested in urban exploring, and that's what kind of camera I'm looking at. I've seen good quality photos taken on a cheap camera held together with sellotape, so I thought that I could have a budget of less than £200. Also, are most tripods suitable for most designs of camera?

Thanks again :)
If you're doing urbex photography I'd get a compact with as many manual controls available as possible as you'll have some challenging lighting conditions i'd imagine

only one I can recommend is the RX100 as it's a great camera, but there will be plenty of others with similar spec/features that others can recommend as well

If its urbex you want to do id recommend going for a DSLR. The D40x would be great to start out with. Get that, a kit lens,a sturdy tripod and a shutter release cable and you're sorted.

The reason I say get a DSLR over a compact is that bracketing is extremely useful for urbex and I'm not sure how many compacts will have that option. And also at some point you'll probably want a wide angle lens (so good for urbex interiors! ) and having a DSLR will allow you this option.

The D40 is getting rather elderly and isn't without it's limitations from what I can remember of it (didn't have one myself, a couple of friends did though).

I'll suggest something different, a Fuji X-E1 and kit lens or Fuji X-M1 and kit lens. They've both got manual controls when you want it (with a WYSIWYG display) and will do point and shoot as well. One has an electronic viewfinder (the -E1) and one doesn't (the -M1).

You could pick-up a refurbed X-M1 and lens direct from Fuji for less than £350 (http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-kit-xf18-55-lens-refurbished.html - use code PAYPAL12 for a 10% discount off the listed price). Small, lightweight and discreet, with great image quality and very good value.

As for a tripod, a cheap £10 job from Aldi/Lidl will do the job if you want disposable. Paying more (£50-£100) will get you something sturdier and better designed.

Edit: wrong link above for the X-M1..

X-M1 - http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-m1-kit-xc16-50mm-lens-refurbished.html

(btw, think about whether point-and-shoot will get you what you want to achieve, it's is fine for snapshots to record a location and slap on facebook for your l33t mates, but not the best for urbex fine art if that's what you want to achieve. Buying a DSLR to use as a point-and-shoot camera means you're not getting the best from the camera, and you're not using the best tool for point and shoot - don't buy a DSLR because "
it's a proper camera i'nit?" that's a mugs game, if drains are your thing a cheap waterproof compact will probably last longer..)

Last edited:
If its urbex you want to do id recommend going for a DSLR. The D40x would be great to start out with. Get that, a kit lens,a sturdy tripod and a shutter release cable and you're sorted.

The reason I say get a DSLR over a compact is that bracketing is extremely useful for urbex and I'm not sure how many compacts will have that option. And also at some point you'll probably want a wide angle lens (so good for urbex interiors! ) and having a DSLR will allow you this option.

Thanks for your advice :) ; would this be a decent DSLR to go for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-alph...104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aab4ae7c8

I guess I'm trying to balance out quality and price, but I guess I get what I pay for...

why not look at the fuji range perfect for urban / city shooting , candids etc. for a little over you £200 you could get a fuji x20 SH or a fuji XM-1 with excellent 18-50 lens and bag for 260 ( or throw in a bid )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujifilm-...609?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee23341c9

The fuji x20 is a stunning piece of kit with stunnin 28-112 4 x optical zoom and handles and performs beauitfully.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...ct-system-cameras/used-fuji-x-series-cameras/

Wouldn't buy a X20 from MPB as they are cheaper and come with a twelve month warranty from the Fuji Refurb Shop mentioned by Alastair above using the Paypal code. None in stock at moment, but they usually update on a Thursday and you can sign up for email notifications when the come in.

I would consider the X30 now as the price is so close to the X20 and the improvements are worth it, especially the EVF which is the same as the XT1, fantastic EVF, the best I have used. I didn't like my X20 due to seeing the lens barrel, not sure if this is fixed with the X30 and EVF over the X20 OVF?

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/refurbished-digital-cameras/pro-enthusiast-fixed-lens

I guess I'm trying to balance out quality and price, but I guess I get what I pay for...
I think you're maybe making the mistake of only looking at price..

As soon as you start to look at interchangeable lens cameras you need to consider the system - body and lenses. The Sony you've linked to still needs a lens adding to it, it won't work out of the box without one.

Have a look at this, about £235 with the 10% discount code for a body and lens, it's not waterproof but it will stand up to the occasional light shower if you do you best to keep it dry, it will work in full automatic mode but will also let you grow into the camera and take control of every setting..
http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-m1-kit-xc16-50mm-lens-refurbished.html

You can get some bargains with MFT kit these days too - I've seen GX1 bodies listed at £100 or less. Slap on a prime lens - 14mm/2.5 for ~£80, 17mm/2.8 for ~£60 or a 20mm/1.7 for ~£130 and you've got a nice, small and light setup.

I would disagree on that one. Urbex can often mean low light and long exposures. A tripod is essential IMO.
thats why i said 99 -100, depends on if op means urbex as in underground disused locations or urban as in strolling around the city taking candids and street shots. either way for a small compact a gorrila pod would be fine.

No such thing as a good cheap tripod! Don't buy one at all or wait- save - and buy a decent one. Cheap triode are mostly worse than useless.

No such thing as a good cheap tripod! Don't buy one at all or wait- save - and buy a decent one. Cheap triode are mostly worse than useless.
It depends what the OP means by urbex, and whether you know what that might include. A cheap tripod that's effectively disposable is the only one you might risk in some environments.

I think I'll probably do a bit of experimentation with/ without a tripod and find out what works best :)
How much is a 'good' tripod?

I recommend Redsnapper, it'll cost around £50-60 with a head but of reasonable quality and their customer service is top notch.

I recommend Redsnapper, it'll cost around £50-60 with a head but of reasonable quality and their customer service is top notch.
wish i could agree with that but had a total nightmare with rednsapper. tripod bolt that holds the head on sheared off and only though luck that i had camera strap around wrist that i saved my camera from crashing onot the pebbles of brighton beach. they changed the design to incorporate a bigger screw thread afterwoulds but was only after the problem was reported ( poor quality testing and inadequate materials used.
Also the 3 way pan and tilt head would never tighten properly and sit horizontal. would drop about 2 degrees past 180% degrees on the adjustment making it almost inpossible to get the camera level without physically holding it or adjusting a leg to compensate.
as for the legs, the clips had cheap rubbish bits of plastic in the connecting sections that broke and fell apart resulting in the one leg not being able to tighten up and continually falling out.
i spent months arguing with customer service over this , sent the tripod back 3 times for repair at my own expense and each time it came back with the problems not fixed.
they did eventually change one of the legs but the head still doesnt sit straight on it and the whole thing has been binned as worthless costly trash.
the newer models seem to have changed with different clips so may be an improvement but for me the whole experience was pretty lousy.
for sub £100 id probably grab new a Benro or hunt around for a SH manfrotto 190xpro

Back