a handsome dragon (Pic added)

Name
Tara
Edit My Images
No
I think this might be my best dragonfly shot so far

2010 dragonfly b by turbotoes, on Flickr

Not that it has a huge amount of competition ;)

Exif:
Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 200

Here's are rear view, if it helps with ID

2010 dragonfly c by turbotoes, on Flickr

Exif:
Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 200

Tara

Last edited:
Beautifull to me :)

but then I love dragons, failed to get one this year :( and weirdly I am in your region (Dausse) so that makes me quite envious :) whereabouts was the capture?

@ Kerniki, Good lord, we're near Monsempron libos, about 20 minutes away from Dausse !! I saw this fellow in a clearing in the forest behind our house, there's a small vineyard and a patch of scrub which is great for bug hunting.

@ Sara, No ID so far, but I hope to have a bit of time to track it down tomorrow, I might stick it up on a flickr dragon group, as it certainly deserves to have a proper name :D

Tara

How do you manage to get such a great shot? Did you ask the Dragonfly to pose for you!!!

Following on from the comments already, its beautiful. Getting one of these in frame is hard enough but you have this one crisp and sharp.

Nice capture, very sharp indeed. I like it!

@ Kerniki, Good lord, we're near Monsempron libos, about 20 minutes away from Dausse !! I saw this fellow in a clearing in the forest behind our house, there's a small vineyard and a patch of scrub which is great for bug hunting.

small world eh, we go walking most days and I've hardly seen any :shrug: obviously they are there so will look harder :thinking: which 400 were you using?

No need to worry, I'm not an expat looking for friends so wont be stalking you :D

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, this chappie was very helpful as was quite content to let me watch him/her hunting from this perch for quite a while.

@ Kerniki, I have the Canon 100-400 L, which I'm finding a great combo with the 7D. My current macro lens is a siggy 2.8 50mm EX, but I'm considering chopping it in for a canon 100 2.8 macro, the siggy is great little lens but by god you have to get close :shake:

@Sara, I'm thinking it's got to be a chaser, but the stripe on it's side doesn't fit the common ones, unless juveniles are different :shrug:

Tara

What guide are you using Tara? I try really hard to ID these critters and find it really difficult, no where near as easy as butterflies!!

Do you have a head on shot? The spacing between the eyes and where / if they join seems to start you off on the road to at least some form of ID!!

Last edited:
It might not be use to anyone, but i was walking around wollaton hall last weekend, well around their lake/pond area. I see hundreds of little blue dragon flys all over the place.
Been to several other water areas, where the public dont go much ive seen lots of them.

Could be a hint or tip for some one wanting to shoot these?

#1 is a corker Tara, perfect background and super perch and pose. (y)

I've got no C&C to give - just wanted to say I think it's an absolute cracker of a shot. You should be very pleased with yourself! :clap:

(y) Thanks all, I can't believe how many don't realise how good the 100-400L is for this stuff when the conditions are right, :D

@Sara, I normally use the british dragonfly society website and google images search to ID the dragons, However when it gets down to how many hairs do they have on their left eyebrow, I tend to give best and label them "Dragonfly" :naughty: I will have a look for a head shot though, just in case.

Tara

Tara - I think this is an old female Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum. Quite common in your area. The key features are the black zigzag stripes down the abdomen and the absence of a black triangle on the hind wings. Younger females have a much more yellow body, which gets greyer as she ages.

Back