A Jumper

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I found this lovely Jumping spider at work so I thought it would make a nice subject to photograph.
Just for size, its on my finger tip.
I`m still waiting for a ID conformation.
Taken South of France.

DSC_5531
by Graham, on Flickr

Another shot added

Menemerus semilimbatus. by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and to see this and more, click the photo to see it on my flickr page.

Last edited:
That's a great shot!
Thanks Gee, When its on the finger at least you can see a size comparison and I don`t really have large hands/fingers.

Thats a mega shot, Id love to see a pull back or even just an expalnation of how its done....Please

Thats a mega shot, Id love to see a pull back or even just an expalnation of how its done....Please
There is no real pull back shots, just a little crop and other PP.
I find some of my subjects at work in buildings, I carry a little plastic box for when/if I find a subject. This one was Really skittish at 1st but after a moment on my hand it ran up my arm, across my back where I managed to get it back, my o/h refused to help [emoji15] [emoji38] after that it was happy to sit on my finger while I fired off a few shots.
Then it's onto the glass sheet (sprayed black on one side) for the reflection shots you see here.
Thanks for the kind comment and for asking for some extra info on how I do things.

That’s brilliant work Graham I don’t know how you do it ?
Thanks Kevin and yes you do [emoji38] [emoji38]

Love it.
Tiny little thing isn't it
Great shooting
Thanks Derek, not so tiny really as you can see from the photo. I would guess this was 5-7mm making it one of the larger ones.

I love those little fellas. I have managed to capture and shoot one, not to your standard, just pleased I got it. Haven’t seen one since, like you it jumped onto me. I haven’t a clue where to look for them. Really like the last one! Good tip about the glass too. Thanks for Sharing.

I love those little fellas. I have managed to capture and shoot one, not to your standard, just pleased I got it. Haven’t seen one since, like you it jumped onto me. I haven’t a clue where to look for them. Really like the last one! Good tip about the glass too. Thanks for Sharing.
Thanks Leroy, it's takes lots of shots to get just a few, these are them, well there are a few more. I'm happy you like "my standard".
If you think these are hard to find, try looking for the ones that mimic ants, really not easy at all.
Best place is look along the top of fence posts in the early ish morning, they like to sit and catch the sun but not all, some are rock dwellers and some live in houses, like your house.
Enjoy your spider hunting.

Two stunners there Graham, like the finger tip shot, it gives a real sense of size.

Not helpful if you are trying to photograph them but you can get them (at least the UK Zebra, Salticus scenicus) to jump from one finger to a finger of your other hand if you are patient.

Two stunners there Graham, like the finger tip shot, it gives a real sense of size.
Thanks jake.
Size matters [emoji6]

Excellent detail.

I can't see in any of the above posts the specific ID of it, apart from it being a jumper and what you have written..Menemerus semilim batsus...apologies if I missed it.

Seems it's specific name is a Male Bronze Lake Jumper spider. https://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/2607804335

However, it states here that this particular member of the species, which is found worldwide in warm/hot climates, is found only in the US and Canada . Obviously in the south of France too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_militaris

Excellent detail.

I can't see in any of the above posts the specific ID of it, apart from it being a jumper and what you have written..Menemerus semilim batsus...apologies if I missed it.

Seems it's specific name is a Male Bronze Lake Jumper spider. https://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/2607804335

However, it states here that this particular member of the species, which is found worldwide in warm/hot climates, is found only in the US and Canada . Obviously in the south of France too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_militaris

Thanks John. This is from wiki.
Menemerus semilimbatus is a Mediterranean species widely distributed in Europe, southern Asia and in Africa. In the Americas, it has been reported for Argentina, Chile, Ecuador and USA.
Maybe in the USA they have named it but I didn't read it in my wiki.

Thanks John. This is from wiki.
Menemerus semilimbatus is a Mediterranean species widely distributed in Europe, southern Asia and in Africa. In the Americas, it has been reported for Argentina, Chile, Ecuador and USA.
Maybe in the USA they have named it but I didn't read it in my wiki.

Thanks,Graham. Not been on since I posted that. That's cleared that up,then. (y)

Graham these are superb - if I get anywhere near these in the future I'll be delighted!

Graham these are superb - if I get anywhere near these in the future I'll be delighted!
Thanks, I've not seen your name here before now, do you do macro? If your new to macro it can take some time to get to this type of shot but most of mine are not that great.

Thanks, I've not seen your name here before now, do you do macro? If your new to macro it can take some time to get to this type of shot but most of mine are not that great.
Hi Graham

Just been trying to get into it the last few months. Have a few shots in this section. (You commented on a couple [emoji6] ) but very much starting out so always nice to see shots like yours which give me something to aim for. I've found it strange as you will take something, think ok that's nice and then compare it others or here and say ok definitely not there yet!

// I really should change my user name on here which was a typo in the first place!

Al

Hi Graham

Have a few shots in this section. (You commented on a couple [emoji6] )

Al

Haha, my bad, its my age, forgetting things, not like me lol
Practice makes perfect, keep at it and you will improve.

Reactions: akr
Back