A Lack of Investment

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
A few months ago I decided to embark on a project around the Valleys in which I live. I initially had an idea for a project that would encompass valley life documenting employment, unemployment, cuts, lack of investment and leisure. Shortly after starting it and writing a brief I began to lose my way as it had turned more into a story and was becoming unmanageable. Following this I left it to gather dust on my hard drive.

Having been inspired by a number of threads on here in recent weeks I've put some thoughts together and realised what I'm really interested in documenting; the cuts to services, the lack of investment and the plight of unemployment.

I've never done anything like this before so I'm effectively winging it with regards to convention. I assume that if one shot is in black and white then they should all be that way and that the images should be of the same aspect ratio. My plan is to collect all of my images by the end of September this year; hopefully that will give me enough time to collect and cull as I need to. Anyway, here it goes...

Apple Tree flats have been closed by RCT Council and the residents moved out. RCT Council have been recently scathed over the closure of local amenities, schools, libraries, withdrawal of services and the loss of local jobs.

With public opinion of the council running low, the signs on the flats are a poignant reminder of the 'them' and 'us' feeling experienced and felt by local residents and those up and down the country.

Don't Know Our Story
by James, on Flickr

Porth Firestation originally opened its doors in the 1960s where it served Porth and the surrounding communities for 55 years. In the summer of 2014 it was decided that Porth Fire station would close with the loss of a number of jobs – July the 21st 2014 would be its final day. Locked and boarded, the fire station stands empty as a constant reminder of front line services being at risk within Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Porth Firestation
by James, on Flickr

Top Ten Bingo was originally a cinema that was then turned into a bingo hall. Up until the early part of the first decade of the millennium the bingo hall was frequented by the elderly and was bustling most nights of the week. The bingo hall now stands empty and lack of investment has seen the building become an eyesore through it falling into a state of disrepair.

Bingo Hall Side On
by James, on Flickr

I'll keep this thread updated as I work through the project. Any hints, tips or guides would be hugely appreciated.

James

Using just black and white and keeping the same format will give the series a visual connectivity. But if there's a shot that needs colour by all means try it to see if it works. It can always be omitted in the final edit. I'm liking the brief descriptions and looking forward to seeing more.

I agree with Dave about trying colour shots too.
I also think you could change the aspect ratio as a way to achieve a visual punctuation within the narrative, or set of images... they don't have to be all landscape or all portrait format, or even all the same size.
I like what you've posted so far.

Thanks both. I hadn't realised that it was 'acceptable' to include both colour and black and white images. I've got a few more images on my hard drive from when I started the project originally that could do with re-processing.

James

Will it be mainly architecture/buildings you are including in the project James or will there be a people element too?

Thanks, Walter!

Iain, I intend on including people but need to work on approaching others in the street. People with cameras are normally treated with suspicion around here (although that could be said about anywhere).

I've thought of printing some business cards to give people some comfort that I'm serious about the project.

I suspect while I'm starting off it'll be mainly buildings but I feel the project will be losing out if there's no personal side to it.

I can understand the people involved within the communities being very wary and suspicious of someone wishing to take their photograph and perhaps worried how they will be portrayed.
I would imagine that it will have to be approached sensitively and slowly.
I'm sure if you are seen around often enough with your camera that you'll become known and people may just be a little curious about your project?

Good luck with it James.

Iain, I intend on including people but need to work on approaching others in the street. People with cameras are normally treated with suspicion around here (although that could be said about anywhere).

I've thought of printing some business cards to give people some comfort that I'm serious about the project.

I suspect while I'm starting off it'll be mainly buildings but I feel the project will be losing out if there's no personal side to it.

You can talk to people without your camera as well of course. People have gone to the trouble of putting up a huge sign saying people don't know their story. You're offering to tell their story, so I'm sure they'll be willing to talk with you, especially if you're from the area and have some understanding and sympathy for the situation. I'd be trying to find out who used to live in the closed flats, where they live now, and then be hanging out with them and talking with them before taking photos of them. You'll get much more meaningful stuff then, than by stopping people in the street for a quick portrait.

FWIW also, I think I'd prefer the whole thing in colour. Black and white seems too obvious 'depressing photo essay mode'. It's a real story about real people, who live their lives in colour. In my opinion, black and white can add a level of detachment to things like this, and make it more for the photographer, than for the people.

You can talk to people without your camera as well of course. People have gone to the trouble of putting up a huge sign saying people don't know their story. You're offering to tell their story, so I'm sure they'll be willing to talk with you, especially if you're from the area and have some understanding and sympathy for the situation. I'd be trying to find out who used to live in the closed flats, where they live now, and then be hanging out with them and talking with them before taking photos of them. You'll get much more meaningful stuff then, than by stopping people in the street for a quick portrait.

FWIW also, I think I'd prefer the whole thing in colour. Black and white seems too obvious 'depressing photo essay mode'. It's a real story about real people, who live their lives in colour. In my opinion, black and white can add a level of detachment to things like this, and make it more for the photographer, than for the people.

Both valid points. I've found myself a contact who used to live opposite the flats but not in them; I'm hoping they will be able to point me in the direction of somebody who used to live there.

With regards to colour, it is a bit of selfish choice of mine but I believe (at the moment anyway) that it suits the project a bit better, however, this may change over time as I mature as a photographer and the project develops. I'm currently reading Questions without Answers: The World in Pictures from the Photographers of VII and have found that I'm more drawn to the black and white photographs than the colour pieces.

James

Another photo that I've re worked. I've placed this against the fire station and believe that it fits although it's in colour.

Numerous amenities have been closed, forgotten about and left to rot; with further cutbacks in the community it is inevitable that more will be lost and reclaimed by nature.

James

A few months ago I decided to embark on a project around the Valleys in which I live. I initially had an idea for a project that would encompass valley life documenting employment, unemployment, cuts, lack of investment and leisure. Shortly after starting it and writing a brief I began to lose my way as it had turned more into a story and was becoming unmanageable. Following this I left it to gather dust on my hard drive.

Having been inspired by a number of threads on here in recent weeks I've put some thoughts together and realised what I'm really interested in documenting; the cuts to services, the lack of investment and the plight of unemployment.

I've never done anything like this before so I'm effectively winging it with regards to convention. I assume that if one shot is in black and white then they should all be that way and that the images should be of the same aspect ratio. My plan is to collect all of my images by the end of September this year; hopefully that will give me enough time to collect and cull as I need to. Anyway, here it goes...

Apple Tree flats have been closed by RCT Council and the residents moved out. RCT Council have been recently scathed over the closure of local amenities, schools, libraries, withdrawal of services and the loss of local jobs.

With public opinion of the council running low, the signs on the flats are a poignant reminder of the 'them' and 'us' feeling experienced and felt by local residents and those up and down the country.

Don't Know Our Story
by James, on Flickr

Porth Firestation originally opened its doors in the 1960s where it served Porth and the surrounding communities for 55 years. In the summer of 2014 it was decided that Porth Fire station would close with the loss of a number of jobs – July the 21st 2014 would be its final day. Locked and boarded, the fire station stands empty as a constant reminder of front line services being at risk within Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Porth Firestation
by James, on Flickr

Top Ten Bingo was originally a cinema that was then turned into a bingo hall. Up until the early part of the first decade of the millennium the bingo hall was frequented by the elderly and was bustling most nights of the week. The bingo hall now stands empty and lack of investment has seen the building become an eyesore through it falling into a state of disrepair.

Bingo Hall Side On
by James, on Flickr

I'll keep this thread updated as I work through the project. Any hints, tips or guides would be hugely appreciated.

James

Strong stuff, and a great opening shot.

Stay focused, and I agree.. narrow in on your subject and keep it simple.. so cuts and lack of prosperity only.... don't diversify.. The subject is everything.

As for colour/B&W.... if you're shooting digitally, you can test both, but I'm of the mind that mixing it up causes problems, as a few colour images in a black and white project will focus the view's attention on those images, and give the impression that those photos are somehow different, more important, and there to signpost something. So don't make the decision on aesthetic reasons... "this one looks nicer in colour" because that would be a mistake. The viewer will not get that... the viewer will think you are highlighting that image as more important than the others. If it IS.. fine, but don't make this editorial decision based on your preferences as a photographer: The viewer may not be a photographer... never forget that. Don't be making work for other photographers to look at.

Consistency is what I would recommend.

You can't document a community without people. Well.. you can... because you are... but is it appropriate? If part of your brief was to document the decline via buildings only, fine, but I would still question whether that is giving the full story. The top image is one that works without people, because the actions and thoughts of the people are implicit within it, but obviously all your images will not have that narrative content, so you need to think about people at some point. If you want the viewer's empathy towards this community, then you need people - we feel empathy towards each other more than anything else. Get to know people.... gain their trust. It takes time, but they'll eventually work with you... or enough will to meet your needs (and theirs to some extent).

I agree with Dave about trying colour shots too.
I also think you could change the aspect ratio as a way to achieve a visual punctuation within the narrative, or set of images... they don't have to be all landscape or all portrait format, or even all the same size.
I like what you've posted so far.

While this is true.... be careful. Think about what you want these images to DO. You want them in a book, or in a gallery... then such decisions could cause a curatorial or editorial problem further down the line.

Don't make decisions based on individual photographs. You're shooting a series of images... it's a project... and ultimately, it will need "packaging"... A book... an e-book... a gallery show... whatever it is... think about how jumping from format to format may cause you, and the viewer, problem later on. What can work is deciding on two, maybe three formats, that you can design a book or show around, and then sticking to that... deciding which image fits which format... but is this necessary? Are we just "fiddling" here? When shooting a series of work with the intention of some form of publication, the biggest mistake photographers make is to treat each image individually, at the time of post production. You end up with this eclectic mix of colours, formats, styles... and none of it hangs well together, regardless of how each image looks by itself. I've seen this so many times you wouldn't believe, so you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

You edit holistically... not individually when you produce work like this. Keep your mind on the final goal and how you want the viewer to see the final product. Ask yourself whether jumping from format to format will actually do anything to help the viewer understand the only the thing important with this work - the SUBJECT.

You're shooting documentary... you're not here to showboat... leave that to the other forums... you're here to tell a story, so each individual image should be thought of as letters and words in the text of this story. Just as you wouldn't choose different fonts for different letters in a sentence... don't do it for your book/show/publication. If you DO want to do it... make sure the colour image is perhaps the capital letter at the start... or that exclamation mark... or full stop. But even then... be careful.

I'm not aiming this at Lee BTW.... I'm just assuming everyone reading this thread will be reading this too... so it's just my opinion and advice.

[edit] This is not an arbitrary rule... like the rule of thirds etc... it's just common sense if you think about it. Do you want the viewer to be separating all the images in to individual, unconnected shot and treating each page of the book anew, or do you want to tell a story in a smooth, well edited, narrative flow that facilitates reading, or gallery viewing. Just think how terrible the exhibition will look if they're all different colours, sizes, shapes.

Last edited:
While this is true.... be careful. Think about what you want these images to DO. You want them in a book, or in a gallery... then such decisions could cause a curatorial or editorial problem further down the line.

Don't make decisions based on individual photographs. You're shooting a series of images... it's a project... and ultimately, it will need "packaging"... A book... an e-book... a gallery show... whatever it is... think about how jumping from format to format may cause you, and the viewer, problem later on. What can work is deciding on two, maybe three formats, that you can design a book or show around, and then sticking to that... deciding which image fits which format... but is this necessary? Are we just "fiddling" here? When shooting a series of work with the intention of some form of publication, the biggest mistake photographers make is to treat each image individually, at the time of post production. You end up with this eclectic mix of colours, formats, styles... and none of it hangs well together, regardless of how each image looks by itself. I've seen this so many times you wouldn't believe, so you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

You edit holistically... not individually when you produce work like this. Keep your mind on the final goal and how you want the viewer to see the final product. Ask yourself whether jumping from format to format will actually do anything to help the viewer understand the only the thing important with this work - the SUBJECT.

You're shooting documentary... you're not here to showboat... leave that to the other forums... you're here to tell a story, so each individual image should be thought of as letters and words in the text of this story. Just as you wouldn't choose different fonts for different letters in a sentence... don't do it for your book/show/publication. If you DO want to do it... make sure the colour image is perhaps the capital letter at the start... or that exclamation mark... or full stop. But even then... be careful.

I'm not aiming this at Lee BTW.... I'm just assuming everyone reading this thread will be reading this too... so it's just my opinion and advice.

Thanks for the added explanation David. It's a subject in itself over on the student forums, with some students tutors saying it's fine and some saying it isn't(but not really saying why). So it's good to have a more rounded explanation as to when or why you should or shouldn't.

Thanks for the added explanation David. It's a subject in itself over on the student forums, with some students tutors saying it's fine and some saying it isn't(but not really saying why). So it's good to have a more rounded explanation as to when or why you should or shouldn't.

Be wary of advice saying yes or no... but not offering an explanation as to why. Always ask why. It's the most important question ever in photography.

Lots of good advice.

Thanks David for such an informative reply. I've got in contact with two people who used to live near the flats and they have said that they would be more than willing to help me. My plan is to write up some questions to get to know them and their background, following this I hope to get in touch with some people who have been made redundant by the council and get their take on things, too.

It is a subject that is very close to me at the moment as my fiancée was made redundant by the council back last year. In an ideal world I'd like to get some input from school leavers and understand their outlook on life given the lack of prosperity around here.

With regards to formatting, I'm mostly thinking about a book. I'd like to set up an exhibition but I have absolutely no idea how you approach these sort of things; do you set them up yourself or would you expect a third party to approach you?

James

With regards to formatting, I'm mostly thinking about a book.

I find that downloading Blurb's bookmaking software helps me organise my projects when the are envisaged as making a book. Even if you eventually find a real world publisher having a digital version to play with is beneficial, and getting one (cheapest option) copy printed through Blurb will also provide you with a hard copy which helps spot places for improvement, and gives you something tangible to show people how things are progressing.

Is it considered bad form to include quotes from newspaper articles in such projects? My thought process is that it may give the viewer some insight to the run up to the closures and cut backs. It would go without saying that I'd credit the author and source for the quotes.

James

A bit of an update...

Two major high street banks have pulled out of the two town centres within the valley that I'm concentrating on.

The two people who I was in contact with thought I was researching the history of the valleys rather than documenting what is going on now and as such weren't really able to help - think history, history (they have been thanked for giving up their time to speak to me) but they have said that if they can help ij anyway at all they'd be more than willing to do so; it's great that I have at least two people on side.

I'm hoping to get in contact with people who used to work in the banks or who used them fairly often. At the moment I don't think I'm going the right way about it as I'm using Facebook as a medium to reach out but I suspect the majority of users were of an older generation.

Anyway, I'll post more of an update when I'm home.

James

The project still winds on but alas it is still very much building focussed. I really need to get involved with the community in some shape or form. Here is the latest instalment:

Lloyds Bank and The Black Rock

The photograph depicts the Hannah Street Branch of Lloyds Bank and the Black Rock Hotel. The Hannah Street branch of Lloyds Bank closed it's doors in March 2016 and now stands empty. The valleys have been hit by a number of branch closures over the past few months. Those towards the top of the valley now have a nine mile journey to the nearest Lloyds Bank branch; local businesses are already being hit. The sign in the window informs customers that the branch has now closed along with the location and opening times of the nearest branch.

The Black Rock Hotel served the town of Porth for around a century. The pub closed circa 2010 and now stands empty, bereft of life and awaiting investment. The glorious building stands testament to the days when employment was readily available. Patiently waiting for somebody to rent it, the paint of the building peels away exposing rotten wood beneath it.

James

I did a few projects like this many years ago, so perhaps my experience will help:

First of all, if there's detail to be shown, get in close and show it. In your last post you talked about the peeling paint. Show that and then draw back to show the whole building and then further back to show the street and thus the context. Following on from that, try thinking about your project as a documentary film. In a documentary, you have an overall theme and within that, several smaller themes that contribute to the whole. Take your shots with that very much in mind. Also, try to balance words and pictures so that they complement, rather than conflict with each other. Finally, use the recipe as a guide and remember, when you see an opportunity, break the rules!

I did a few projects like this many years ago, so perhaps my experience will help:

First of all, if there's detail to be shown, get in close and show it. In your last post you talked about the peeling paint. Show that and then draw back to show the whole building and then further back to show the street and thus the context. Following on from that, try thinking about your project as a documentary film. In a documentary, you have an overall theme and within that, several smaller themes that contribute to the whole. Take your shots with that very much in mind. Also, try to balance words and pictures so that they complement, rather than conflict with each other. Finally, use the recipe as a guide and remember, when you see an opportunity, break the rules!

Morning,
Do you have an example where my writing conflicts with the photos or is that general advice?

In regards to the close up, it had crossed my mind but I went for the wider angle because I wanted to show the emptiness of two buildings within a stones throw of each other.

James

Morning,
Do you have an example where my writing conflicts with the photos or is that general advice?

In regards to the close up, it had crossed my mind but I went for the wider angle because I wanted to show the emptiness of two buildings within a stones throw of each other.

James

That was general advice, based on my own mistakes! :(

The pictures in your first post have great impact but, for me, the Hannah Street shot doesn't keep up the standard because it lacks a point of interest. On the other hand, remember t's your project and you should do as you wish.

First of all, if there's detail to be shown, get in close and show it.

That reminded me of a few pictures I took one day in 2012 when I was struck by how many premises were boarded up. It didn't get developed into a project as such, although maybe it should have done. I had less than an hour before my parking ticket expired... http://www.dlst.co.uk/hard/index.html

There's a place for detail and for the wider view. Depending how a project is presented not every picture has to have impact, there can be a place for photos which provide a link or set a scene. Until the end is close it's difficult to know which pictures will work together. Sometimes a picture has to be omitted which is strong on its own, or a weaker one included, in order to make the whole hang together. There are no set rules. really.

Evening All,

It has been quite some time since I have contributed to this thread due to the pressures of work and getting married. My plan is to crack on with this project in earnest now that I have some free time (IE wedding planning, stag do's etc are over). The project is still very much building based however, one of my local pubs that I've been a frequent drinker at for some time will be closing it's doors this weekend. I'm hoping the landlord will allow me to take some photographs and share his story although I suspect he maybe feeling a bit raw - we shall see.

It seems that anytime I've had to venture out with the camera has resulted in it raining, the rain sort of suits the mood I'm after but I'm not sure how it really works with the photographs. Second to this I'm not quite sure if the indoor photograph from the Chubb Factory fits with the set but that can be ironed out at a later date.

Some photographs...

EMI Treorchy
by James

The EMI Factory situated in Treorchy - Rhondda Fawr - opened in the 1940's producing equipment for radars, its customers included the MoD.

Later in its life it began producing cassette tapes because it could not compete with the cost of other plants producing radar equipment.

During the nineties the plant began producing Christmas decorations, since then the production has been outsourced to China.

From once glorious beginnings the site has been left derelict and is now being swallowed up by weeds and trees while vandals help speed up the process.

The closure of the plant saw a huge number of jobs being lost.

Chubb Ferndale
by James

The Chubb Factory situated in Ferndale - Rhondda Fach - was opened in 1954 employing around 150 workers and specialising in the production of fire fighting equipment. The plant closed in 2005 with the loss of its work force when production was outsourced to China.

The closure of the plant has seen it's buildings become derelict and vandals have taken over; not an uncommon sight in the Rhondda today.

Your comments and critque are welcomed as per usual,
James

Evening All,

Just a quick update. I'm beginning to lose the will to live with the project, finding people who want to talk seems to be extremely difficult (well around here) and as such one of the fundamental pieces of the project is missing. Anyway, at the tail end of last week I visited one of my local pubs as it was due to close. The landlord was retiring himself and the pub but I do wonder if the lack of footfall was to blame as the pub was closed quite a number of days a week - the landlord expressed a wish that he didn't want to be photographed and as it was only myself and him in there, the pub was effectively empty.

The Old Pub - Ynyshir

The Old Pub in Ynyshir (The Ynyshir Hotel) - Rhondda Fach - was a fantastic, well run pub full of character. On Sunday the 4th of September 2016 the landlord retired himself and the pub; a sad day indeed.

James

It might just take time for people to get used to you and what you're doing for them to start to open up. Keep at it.:)

Back