A little advice needed

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken at a bit of a posh wedding reception we went to last week.
A friend of a friend (also guests at the evening), asked me to take a couple of pics of them outside the room, so I bunged the nifty on and the 430 with stofen and took a few.
Light was quite low, so was only gett 1/50th second with ISO 320, but the ceiling above me was quite low so couldn't really bounce the flash off it, so point it 45 deg to the left (ish, as I was in portrait mode), and had the stofen on.

080525_1132a.jpg

This is what came out of Lightroom, after tweaking with the RAW as much as I comfortably could to my satisfaction. This is before any Photoshop work.

After a bit of Photoshop work, I have ended up with the following :

080525_1132b.jpg

I know it's not completely perfect, and yes, I did panic a bit and got flustered and didn't slow down and *think* about things (like the shadow etc) when shooting.
They basically want a couple of 12x8 or so prints, to remember the night etc and a nice photo of them together (there is another one Im processing of the two of them).

Anyway, thoughts on the photo, exposure, colour tone, white balance, etc?
(And do you think the resulting shadow and the editing out of it, is OK?)
I know its not going to be super professional quality, but I dont think its too bad.
I'm not charging them of course, they're just going to give me the cost of the prints (Well, that's all I'm going to ask for of course).

It's a great pic and I'm no expert. Is is possible to clone out the balcony glass frame under her right hand as this just slightly ruins the cleanliness of the shot ?

Otherwise, if someone offered me a pic of that quality (before or after) for the cost of the print, I would be very happy indeed.

not bad at all
they've cleaned up quite nicely
I agree about the highlights under her hand
can't tell on my monitor but what's the noise like at full size?
if that's ok then we have a result! :clap:

A lovely picture Marcel. I think you're worrying too much!

I'm not sure there's much you could do that you haven't already done to improve the shot imo. I agree with the point about trying to get rid of the strong highlight around her hand, but otherwise you've done a top job I'd say :clap:

Actually just a thought - how about cropping to get rid of the white chunk of wall on the left inch of the frame :shrug: It brings nothing to the shot and the tighter crop might help :)

I think that's a great shot. At first I was playing (unsuccesfully) spot the difference between the 2 but I now see the subtle edits you've done and I reckon it works fine as is (epsecially the shadow).

Stop nit picking and take their cash! :D (- you are selling the prints are you?)

Last edited:
I really like the edited version :D

Did you crop that atall?

Looks good to me Marcel. :)

looks good to me, but i think be improved if you removed the light from the top right, kaaps dragging my eye away from your friend. never noticed the one below her hand till i read the posts though

I would be happy to recieve that pic though as is(y)

You've done a good job on reducing the shadow Bodders, but I can understand why it bugs you - it would bug me too. It should be easy to get rid of the shadow and the white thingy by her right hand.. Happy to sort it out for you if you give me a nudge. ;)

Back