A little bit more...reach...

Name
Ewan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a crop Canon and a EF-S 17-55 2.8 as my main lens. I love this and it gets through a lot of work in all sorts of situations...family portraits, street, architecture, landscapes etc etc. I'm delighted with the results and IQ can't be faulted...But sometimes(quite often) I long for that wee bit extra length(just don't - it's juvenile!) Do I get a longer "standard" zoom or go telephoto? My pal handed me a 70-200 attached to a 7D at an event recently and I loved it, but would this be useful beyond sporting events?

So in light of this what would people recommend? I have been mulling over a few possibilities, but before I pull the trigger/toss a coin I'd like some other opinions. Just in case there are options I've overlooked or been unaware of...thanks in advance for any advice

Ps have 50mm 1.8 STM and 11-18 Tamron in the cupboard/bag for other scenarios...if that makes any difference.

The Canon 70-200 f4 is a cracking lens and a bargain second hand. It's good for lots of things- though being inconspicuous is not one of them. You seem to love the 17-55; keep it!

85mm 1.8 as a cheap,portrait lens. Then as above 70-200 f4 is a great multi purpose zoom.

Or the 55-250mm. Fantastic lens and only got rid of mine as I went full frame.

It depends under what circumstances you want more reach. If you want more reach instantly for those unexpected brief opportunities then you want a wide range zoom such as 18-250mm, 16-300mm, etc.. Modern designs of these are a lot better than some of the earlier ones. If you want better image quality in good light when you have time to change lenses then something like a 70-300mm f4 partner to your usual lens will be better. For dimmer light you'll want more aperture rather than reach, such as a 70-200mm f2.8.

"More reach" can be addictive. If you find yourself continually hitting the long zoom stop and still wanting more reach then you're doomed. You're going to have to buy something with 500mm or more, possibly a with an extender, and you'll probably have to start weight training :)

"More reach" can be addictive. If you find yourself continually hitting the long zoom stop and still wanting more reach then you're doomed. You're going to have to buy something with 500mm or more, possibly a with an extender, and you'll probably have to start weight training :)

Easiest way is to go Fuji and their 100-400 with their 1.4 and 2 x telecons. :p

The 18-135 sTM canon is a good lens; very sharp and excellent focusisonng speed. Whether you'd value to reach enough, I don't know. It becomes around 200mm equivalent

Thanks for the replies - plumped for 70-200 f4 IS in the end...looking forward to giving it a go when I collect it tomorrow...

Back