Beginner A little help for a first timer :)

So
P - program mode. Camera calculates shutter speed and aperture, but you have some control. Automatically sets exposure.

S - Shutter priority. Manual control of the shutter speed, and camera will set the aperture for correct exposure.

A - Aperture priority. You have control over the aperture, the camera will then set shutter speed for the right exposure.

M - manual mode. You control all the setting of shutter speed and aperture, and have to adjust yourself to get the right exposure.

The ISO can be set automatically or manually for all of these modes..

There you go, don't waste money on a course, you'll see how it effects your pictures when you get it

Last edited:
So
P - program mode. Camera calculates shutter speed and aperture, but you have some control. Automatically sets exposure.

S - Shutter priority. Manual control of the shutter speed, and camera will set the aperture for correct exposure.

A - Aperture priority. You have control over the aperture, the camera will then set shutter speed for the right exposure.

M - manual mode. You control all the setting of shutter speed and aperture, and have to adjust yourself to get the right exposure.

The ISO can be set automatically or manually for all of these modes..

one proviso - the camera will select for what it 'thinks' is the right exposure - it isn't always correct (because it thinks an ideal exposure is 18% grey) so where a scene is very light or very dark it can get it wrong - you either need to use M , or set exposure compensation (sometimes called EV) to move it up or down

Don't even think about buying more lenses until you find out how/if the lens you're getting limits you. And certainly don't buy one because the internet tells you you must have it.

Sure the 35/1.8 punches above it's price in terms of optical quality BUT the focal length might not suit you. I have one and use it less than the 18-55 (i.e. hardly ever) because I don't find it a useful focal length for what I shoot with my D5200. There's more to choosing lenses than them being sharp and giving shallow depth of field - although you might not think that if you took this forum as gospel! :D

If
Don't even think about buying more lenses until you find out how/if the lens you're getting limits you. And certainly don't buy one because the internet tells you you must have it.

Sure the 35/1.8 punches above it's price in terms of optical quality BUT the focal length might not suit you. I have one and use it less than the 18-55 (i.e. hardly ever) because I don't find it a useful focal length for what I shoot with my D5200. There's more to choosing lenses than them being sharp and giving shallow depth of field - although you might not think that if you took this forum as gospel! :D
It's a good cheap prime for her to start with and would be ideal for portraits of her dog with better optics than the 18-55, it's a good suggestion rather than a forum gospel.Better to start with cheap good quality options until she knows where she wants to go. What you use or don't use is irrelevant.

Last edited:
if op is being guided or she is thinking of a 35mm prime the best thing to do is just go out with 18-55 set at 35mm only for a few hours to see how she gets on with it, also can be done with a 50mm prime, I think the 18-55 is underated for what it is ie: kit lens,
That would probably be best to begin with until she finds her feet and can then work out for herself what she may or not need

Last edited:
What you use or don't use is irrelevant.

Nor does it matter what you think will be "ideal" for her. :p

The best thing for any beginner to do is stick the camera in P mode and go take photos. Until they make mistakes or fail to get an intended result they don't know what they need to alter in terms of technique or gear.

That would probably be best to begin with until she finds her feet and can then work out for herself what she may or not need
that is the point of what I was saying, up to her but I gave example of how she can make her mind up if choosing to go in the 35mm direction without spending any more money, or 50mm come to that,:)

I will take all advice on board, anything is helpful.

I can't buy any new lenses just now as I've not got the money for a few months. I start Uni in October too, so have to tighten the purse strings a little for now, but I will have a good look at the 35 f1.8 in a couple of months.

Until then, I'll do as suggested and set at 35 (and 50 too) and see how well it suits etc. I don't want to run before I can walk, and in a months time I'll still likely have no clue what I'm doing lol, so will take it basic step by basic step. I appreciate all comments though :)

It's
Nor does it matter what you think will be "ideal" for her. :p

The best thing for any beginner to do is stick the camera in P mode and go take photos. Until they make mistakes or fail to get an intended result they don't know what they need to alter in terms of technique or gear.
No it doesn't, was merely a suggestion from experience of that lens and what I know she likes taking, ultimately it's for her to decide.Telling what I use or find useful would be pointless ;-)

Last edited:
Hi again Jessica,

You are clearly a quick and attentive learner. I used to teach/lecture on photography at varying levels and I wish some of my students were as smart as you are. ;)

You will find that forums like this can spend your money for you much quicker than you can click the mouse button. So watch your budget and park those comments until you have some spare cash.

As you are going to Uni, even if you are not on a photographic course, if they have one, go and pay a visit to the imaging department or whichever faculty runs that side of things. They might at first be reluctant, but if you butter them up, they might let you play with some of their kit which will be free and very enlightening. Certainly there will be a wealth of knowledge there once you talk to the right people.

There will be SU clubs for such things as photography, were you will get the opportunity to get access to kit and situations that would otherwise cost a small fortune. As I presume your Great Dane will not be going with you, the range of subjects may also expand until the holidays, so there is no point in trying to pigeon hole your photography just yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Shreds!

Everyone tells me I get obsessed - I prefer dedicated ;) I've been talking everyone's ear off, and I've now been asked to not talk about cameras etc lol!

I'll be starting in October studying Psychology, great idea to find out about the photography department and clubs! I'll definitely be investigating that side of things :)

I have no idea what to photograph really, which is why I was thinking Delilah would be a good starting point. When we go away, I hope to attempt some landscape and scenery shots, we will be going to the beach and pier a lot, so that's something else to explore!

I've had my canon t3 since January. It's an early entry level DSLR, I've had loads of learning to do.
I personally haven't used the full auto modes, just the apperature, shutter priority and more recently full auto. Only because I am a practical, hands on person and like to know how things work by practising and messing about settings to see how things turnout (it's just the way I learn best) Having said that, the manual is most important for understanding how your camera works. I would advise you read the manual many times, it's made for a reason. I refer to mine quite often.
There are many videos on YouTube to help you understand how thedifferent settings work. Tony Northrup videos explain (in a not patronising way) how to adjust settings and how they will effect your final image.

first one the eyes arent sharp - the focus looks like its on his nose - second one (man that's an ugly dog), better but its a shame about the background

Yes i realise they aren't great lol, just trying to get used to using the camera. This was just taken in the back garden, so back ground isn't great.

I'm not sure how to change the focus point to get the clearer eyes like you said? I thought that after looking back at the pics.

Lol the ugly one is my mums frenchie Frank.

It's
Yes i realise they aren't great lol, just trying to get used to using the camera. This was just taken in the back garden, so back ground isn't great.

I'm not sure how to change the focus point to get the clearer eyes like you said? I thought that after looking back at the pics.

Lol the ugly one is my mums frenchie Frank.
Have a look at some videos on youtube of the d3300 should help, better than reading a manual but keep it handy.Once it becomes your best friend you'll get know it better, just a mechanical one

Last edited:
I watched the Tony Northrup video for this camera today and it was a great help. Will watch his other videos and look up more too. Thank you. Thanks Andy will take a look at that :)

I'm sure it's a good book but imo hands on or someone showing you either video or in person will be easier to understand. I'm don't honestly think these things are so complicated that you need a book, I think books can make it sound too complicated than it really is. With words you can't see what it does even with pictures in the same way as using your camera and seeing for yourself

Last edited:
Back