Beginner A little help please

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I made a post on reddit, basically asking if taking up photography meant that I had to learn photo shop ect, as Im not a massive fan of learning editing software.

The short answer was no, and using the jpeg format would be great, and that fuji and olympus cameras are the perfect fit for this.

My question is.. For around the £300 mark, (don't mind second hand) could you recommend anything suitable?

Ill be shooting outside / day trips / my son / my dog.

No real interest in portraits.

Thanks

Hi there

I would say that the answer is both correct and incorrect.

Yes, it is correct that you don't need to learn either Photoshop or Lightroom. Heck let's even chuck in Capture One etc as you can shoot in jpeg.

However, what may happen at some point is that you start getting into photography and find that shooting with jpegs has limitations and that you want to shoot images in RAW format so that you can get the best out of them. And to get to the best you'll need to learn a piece of software.

Plenty of people shoot only JPEG, theres nothing to stop you!

One day you might decide to try something different - but then you might not, frankly it doesnt matter.

If money is tight the Olympus route means you’ll spend less on lenses.

If you're looking for a compact have a look at the Panasonic TZ90. Small with massive telephoto, plenty megapixels. It can shoot jpeg &/or raw. It will also allow you to edit raw in camera.
As Julian says though you miss out on a lot of the fun of digital with no software.
Easy to use, youtube us your friend.
Brian

I don't intend on going crazy, only really have a little time. But be nice to get some good shots I can showcase to friends n family

I think you should be willing to look beyond Fuji and Olympus. Anything you look at will probably have the ability to tweak the jpeg output in camera to suit the look you want and there'll probably be lots of preprogrammed filters and scene modes etc. So if you spot a non Fuji/Olympus bargain it may be worthwhile taking a closer look.

If a compact camera (smaller than interchangeable lens models) would suit, the Fuji X 20 would fit the bill. Great JPEGs straight out of the camera and has plenty of scope for the user to take as much control as they want. Downside is a limited focal length range.

I made a post on reddit, basically asking if taking up photography meant that I had to learn photo shop ect, as Im not a massive fan of learning editing software.

The short answer was no, and using the jpeg format would be great, and that fuji and olympus cameras are the perfect fit for this.

My question is.. For around the £300 mark, (don't mind second hand) could you recommend anything suitable?

Ill be shooting outside / day trips / my son / my dog.

No real interest in portraits.

Thanks

How about something like the Sony RX100 as it's nice and compact for your requirements whilst still being very capable? John Lewis are doing them at £279 with a two year warranty (here) and you can check out sample photos here (just make sure you check the description under the image so that it is the original and not the Mark II onward)

Back