A little help with 20D please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening peeps

Just picked up a 20D and am struggling with a setting.

Its far far more complexed than my 300D .

When set in M, AV, TV and using AF i have to press one
of the thumb buttons + or - on the body for it to focus.

I cant find the setting on the camera to use the shutter
button to focus - can some kind soul poin me in the right direction

Cheers

Andy

Is there anything in the custom functions menu switched on? Try Custom Function 4

Allan

yeah theres a few things in there i did try and reset to standard
but not sure if it did. Im feeling pretty ill and honestly the booklet
is doing my head in going round in circles grrr

Cheers

Andy

There is a custom function you can set to move the focus half press to another button and it sounds like yours has been set that way. Not got the 20D to hand but there should be a 'clear settings' item on the menu to reset it back to normal.

You could just look it up in the manual and change the custom function for that feature to how you want it.

I never got on with the way you camera is set up but some people say it is better that way.

I knew I was too slow... could feel the other replies as I typed :LOL:

Hi Andy, right, go into Custom Functions again, go to Custom Function 4 and let me know how you get on, switching CF4 on allows you to focus from the rear buttons with your thumb if you know what I mean?

Allan

I think a lot of people recommend using this seperate button for the auto focus as it helps holding focus and moving the camera, so if all else fails it might be worth giving it a shot as it is. Sorry it doesnt answer you question. Hopefull a 20D user will be along shortly.

Hope you feel better soon :D

AS Robert says, there is a clear custom functions setting, go into menu and from memory it is just above format?

thanks guys - this forums is ace how quick was that sorted :)

Option 4 in custom functions.

Going to turn turn them all off individually :)

Thanks again guys!

Andy

Yup it's custom function 4. It was set to either 1 or 3.
Set it to 0 for good old fashioned mode.

Yes, I know other people have replied, but Ive got another post :plus1:
:D

Haha :D

There must be at least double the settings / options of my 300D

Andy

Marcel uses this function from memory and he's a bit on the :wacky: side, so i suggest that you start a fresh the the 20 and reset all custom functions.

It'd be awful to miss the shot of a life time because a custom function was set wrong.

Back