A little help with cloud storage please

Edit My Images
No
Morning all.

A couple of questions on cloud storage.

I'm very new to this stuff, so be gentle with me.

Currently I juggle a number of external drives keeping my stuff backed up, although I'm sure I could do a better job of it.
I also use a drop box free account, but only for sharing images with people. It's not a storage hub for me.

What I have:

A nucleus of family images and videos that I wish to keep. This is ever expanding.

A number of other images that I'm not overly worried about, but if I had additional external storage I'd keep them protected too.

Music and videos that I keep in one place only and find myself managing them to ensure I keep the amount reasonable. Again with external storage I'd probably have a much bigger library.

Now looking at other topics something like Hubic looks like a good bet. Not too expensive for a year and loads of space.

Question time.....

1. Can I get myself set up so that certain folders are automatically saved to cloud storage as well as locally? If so do I need additional software to do this?

2. How quick / easy is it to draw stuff back to use it? For instance if it was quick / instantaneous I might put all my movies up there out of the way. I have a good fast internet connection.

3. Does the library system mirror the one on my computer, or do I set it how I want too?

Sorry of these are basic questions, but I'm new to this.

Last edited:
Hi,

check these guys: https://hubic.com/en/offers/

10TB storage for 50 euros per year which i think is pretty nice price

you will have a "hubic" folder appearing in your windows explorer where you can save stuff. It will sync with all your devices (when logged in in hubic)

It take a very long time to back up a large amount of files no matter which cloud storage you use.

they are 3rd biggest company in the world having 15 datacentres (parent company is https://www.ovh.co.uk/aboutus/). Hubic is one of their services i guess using Datacentres in France: Roubaix, Gravelines and Strasbourg

Hubic is awesome been using it for 2 years myself now.

Don't be put off.
I must admit I just can't believe how much cloud and hubic especially has just changed how I do things with data.

You need decent broadband to push all the data up.

One of the best things is the 2 way sych via the web portal.

Also, Google Drive is an option. You get 15GB free, however I use it as an emergency backup.

unlimited space if the photos are under a set size/dimension and same with the videos. Granted it won't be ideal for massive raw files, but records of jpegs is great.

Very surprised that if they are as big a company as has been mentioned they have allowed their forum, which appears to be the only way of communicating with them to be spammed so badly in the way it has been for the last day. If nothing else they should have taken it off line while they sort it surely.

Their forum is in a right state today with Spam and I still haven't heard back from them ref my post code not being accepted.

I will continue with the free account for a couple of days while I sort my files out and if things aren't sorted by then, look at other options.

Hi I've been using carbonite for a few years now I've got more than 500bg of data with them they are excellent and the customer service is very good
The upload speed is slow tho and there may be better alternatives
I also use zoolz free (100gb) for my jpegs and the upload speed is very fast
Not had to use their customer service tho

Last edited:
Hi,

check these guys: https://hubic.com/en/offers/

10TB storage for 50 euros per year which i think is pretty nice price

you will have a "hubic" folder appearing in your windows explorer where you can save stuff. It will sync with all your devices (when logged in in hubic)

These guys are great, I have tried loads of online storage options, most are a bit wobbly, but these are fab, 10tb for £30 odd quid.......... Seriously who can compete with that, and the apps work as well, for the money you would be insain not to backup to this solution.

I have a 2bay 8tb synology nas which I set up at raid0 to maximise storage space so no back up... But this is where hubic comes in as there is a native app where it backs up automatically without the need to have the computer on, mine is currently backing up 1.5tb of data, and I've set the bandwidth to 200kbs so it doesn't kill the Internet while backing up, it may take weeks but cares as long as their safe :)

its a no brainer to buy 10TB of disks would cost what 6 years worth of storage costs?
and you never have any maint costs....doh

I'm currently looking at my back up setup

I've been looking at Cloud Hubic looks good but I also want to be able to back up at home I currently have 2 external hard drives which I us on both my PC and MacBook Pro

I've looked at NAS before but to be honest I am completely lost with it will NAS work with both a windows based machine and a IOS machine and how does it work

Surprised no one has mentioned Amazon prime. Unlimited photo storage including raw and dng files on top of teh other prime video,music and dleivery benefts for £79 per annum. So far (3 months) very hapy with darg and drop upload easy download.

Surprised no one has mentioned Amazon prime. Unlimited photo storage including raw and dng files on top of teh other prime video,music and dleivery benefts for £79 per annum. So far (3 months) very hapy with darg and drop upload easy download.

ummm £80/year

Back