A little too much Brandywine

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So we're in Whistler in BC Canada seeing our son for a few days - he works here ATM (mountain bike guide in summer, ski tech in winter) and today he took me on the 'locals' off piste route to Brandywine falls. Unfortunately it was raining moderately, and the clouds were various shades of grey.

The tourist viewpoint is safely fenced, high above the falls and a 5min walk from the carpark - see the first record shot image of the view from there. But there's a trail through the woods that then involves clambering down over the edge of the high section, across a tall, steep section of fallen rocks and then through the woods to another steep area of rockfall parallel to the river. The wooded section had lots of fallen trees and the light filtering through the canopy was quite lovely - see the second, third and fourth shots - I felt like it was a place I'd love to visit again and again.

When we go to the river I wanted to get out in the stream for that classic up-river, low down kind of shot, and since there were plenty of large rocks in the water it was obvious to step across onto a large flattish rock away from shore. Moments later I was on my back in the water, camera bag beneath me - blummin' 'eck, that was slippery! Since it was a 30+ minute climb back to the car and the camera was still working with the lens attached seeming to have kept the water out of that side of things, I carried on taking pictures through a rather damp viewfinder. It did curtail things a bit (I had no stomach to fiddle around doing long exposures) but at least I managed to get something down there.

There are all processed on the macbook, so I'm not completely sure how they'll look on something with a decent screen. I'm sat here in the hotel room surrounded with drying camera kit, clothes and shoes.

The record shot.
Brandywine-5098.jpg

In the woods.
Brandywine-5109.jpg
Brandywine-5112.jpg
Brandywine-5115.jpg

Brandywine falls, post dunking.
Brandywine-5159.jpg

C&C of all except the first image welcome.

beautiful part of the world and a enjoyable set reflecting the beauty that is there

Hope you and your gear are OK. Can take a few days to work through.
Lovely pictures, everything right where others go wrong yet SO hard to explain what! Dont over do the super wide though please, they always look like super wides.

Nice set and hope you and your kit recover fully. Your last shot gives a great impression of how slippery those rocks were

Thanks Simon. All good now, and even my shoes are dry!

beautiful part of the world and a enjoyable set reflecting the beauty that is there

Thanks Sam. The countryside up here is fabulous, and I'd be happy to come here for a week of photography on my own, just spending time walking through woods and climbing up to lakes and rivers.

Hope you and your gear are OK. Can take a few days to work through.
Lovely pictures, everything right where others go wrong yet SO hard to explain what! Dont over do the super wide though please, they always look like super wides.

Thank you Paul, and sage advice about the super-wides. I love working at 12mm, but when you have a hammer everything can look like a nail, and it plan to use it selectively. 3 of the 5 shots here were taken using a 50mm f1.8 standard lens, and the 12-24 won't be replacing the 28-105 that's my walk-about lens any time soon.

Back