A load of film developing gear. What do I do with it?

Edit My Images
Yes
A guy I slighty know had died. His wife/widow has asked me to get rid of his film developing gear.
No idea when it was last used, or if it is any good.
Can you guys help me?
Very roughly there are a load of plastic trays, a lot of empty bottles for fix, dev etc.
There is what look like an electrical hot plate.
A Nikon EL50mm f4CP-2 lens type thing.
A Minolta E Rokkor 50mm f4.5 enlarger lens
What looks like a cutting board.
A Bobineuse Computrol cassette loading thingy,
A bonum dia cutter.
A Paterson certified Thermometer.
A Johnson plastic printing frame
Tongs, one pair with rubber blades, for drying negatives???
An electronic timer and a "stabilised voltage supply" forget these
2 developing tanks - a Paterson Universal 2 and a Paterson Super System4
Something that lookls like a magnifying glass on an angled plate
ans something that looks like a big magnifying glass on a base - possibly for viewing negs.
Lots of other little bits and pieces that I can't begin to describe.

So what do I do with this lot? She doesn't want any money for it.
Where can it go to?
Who might want it, or is it all rubbish destined for the bin?

If any of you lot want any you are welcome to it, so long as you pay postage, or collect from NW England.

As you may have gatehered this is way outside my zone of knowledge, so is it worth trying to find a new home or should i just chuck it all in the bin?

UPDATE Most of this stuff is now spoken for with the remnants in the bin.

Last edited:
Put it up for sale in the Ads section here, some of the lads could make use of it I'm sure.

There's also loads of paper,
Agfa Brovira all unopened
61/2 x 81/2
8 x 18 - 3 packs
12 -15 - 2 packs, one unopened the second opened but inner packet still sealed
16 - 20 ..............................ditto.............................................................................
Some Ilford 12 x 15 and 8 x 10

I would eBay it. Film kit attracts surprisingly high prices.

Put it up for sale in the Ads section here, some of the lads could make use of it I'm sure.

From my reading of the original post, I get the impression that the OP doesn't want to sell the kit for money, but the wording is ambiguous, so I could be wrong.

So what do I do with this lot? She doesn't want any money for it.

Also, in my experience, while film photography kit (e.g., cameras, lenses) can attract decent prices, the darkroom kit often does not. In the past few months, I have basically acquired a complete darkroom without paying a penny.

There will be people who will want this equipment though.

Last edited:
From my reading of the original post, I get the impression that the OP doesn't want to sell the kit for money, but the wording is ambiguous, so I could be wrong
Spot on. Absolutely no money of any amount is sought for this gear.It might be worth something, may be not.
The lady wanted it out of her house, and now I want it out of mine. To us it has no value. If someone can use it then they are welcome to it.
E bay is just too much hassle.

Spot on. Absolutely no money of any amount is sought for this gear.It might be worth something, may be not.
The lady wanted it out of her house, and now I want it out of mine. To us it has no value. If someone can use it then they are welcome to it.
E bay is just too much hassle.

Try Free stuff column?
If I lived anywhere near to you I would take it like a shot.

Its hard to know what's worth having and what isn't from the descriptions, can't you take 2 or 3 pictures of it all.
For instance, the electrical hot plate sounds like a print dryer and glazer but there are a million and one different designs and sizes, some worth nothing some still very desirable.
Brovira is nice paper, it may be dated the 80's and be graded rather than multi contrast but unopened boxes would go in no time depending on the finish.
The tongs with rubber blades is a squeegy....lol, could be for film, could be for prints, depends how big they are.
The magnifying glass on an angled plate sounds like a grain focus finder, the other one may be a loupe.
What does seem to be missing is an enlarger, you got the timer/power supply for it, the lenses for it, most things in fact to wet print, but no enlarger.

If the hotplate thing (tray warmer?) isn't already spoken for, I'd like it. Happy to cover P&P.

Hi @mickledore - if you're happy to post the paper, I'd happily have it off you and cover the cost. Even if it's old, it's possibly still good, and I've started getting back into a community darkroom near me. We could certainly use the paper!

I've had a guy asking for the paper. I'mjust waiting to hear back if he wants some trays as well. If he doesn't then you can have first refusal.
Most of the other stuff has now found a new home - and the rest is in the bin!.

Sorry @mothdust you've missed out I'm afraid.

Last edited:
All has now gone (or is waiting for My hermes to collect).
Thanks everyone for your help.

Back