A 'Marmite' Shot of Amy

Name
Simon (Prefer 'Si')
Edit My Images
No
As per the title... You'll either love it or hate it! ;)

In a fit of boredom and armed with a picture I took of Amy the other night that looked a bit 'bland', I decided to have a messabout in CS4 to create an alternate 'look' for her.

This was the end result:

If anyone's interested in the process, I'll try and detail it later.
Si

interested as in "how" but for me, not my cup of tea!

I actually quite like that although the blown area in the bottom left corner spoils it slightly, I would have liked it to be similar to the right side where you can see more detail. Interesting texture work as well and I'm not usually a fan of textures on portraits.

Way over processed, including over sharpening which is particularly obvious on her hair. And the blown out area on the left of the image is distracting.

Way over processed, including over sharpening which is particularly obvious on her hair. And the blown out area on the left of the image is distracting.

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone. :)

Hi Zoe,

That image never went near any sharpening and it's supposed to be 'over-processed' (that was the point). ;)

I certainly wouldn't use it in any professional sense but as the result of a little photoshop learning curve, I think it came out ok. I know more than I did yesterday which has got to be a good thing don't you think? :)

As I said in the title, it's a marmite shot... Now who's for some breakfast? :D:p

Best wishes,
Si

I like it Si, I think the LHS is a tad too bright but I know what were trying to achieve with this (I've seen this month's PP magazine :p). Saying that the catchlights are gorgeous the processing works for me too!

...Saying that the catchlights are gorgeous the processing works for me too!

Thanks Steff,

I'm surprised Zoe didn't pull me up for having double catchlights in one of Amy's eyes... That's an absolute cardinal SWPP faux pas! :D

You know me though... I don't 'do' traditional rules very well ;)

See ya later,
Si

I'm not SWPP. I'm BIPP and MPA. :D There are those who say about the double catchlights - I have a personal preference not to have them, but then that's because if I'm using lights it's to recreate the effect of the sun and natural light - but that's more a style issue than a like or dislike issue IMHO.

I know you were going for over processed, my comment though was that it was WAY over processed - I accept you haven't over sharpened, but that's the effect. Now these kind of effects can sell, but as you said, it's marmite (which I hate with a passion :LOL: ) and for me it's still way over processed.

However I also agree with you that by doing these kind of things you learn more about photoshop .... it's just for me, a lot of my learning got binned as never to see the light of day ;)

I'm not SWPP. I'm BIPP and MPA. :D There are those who say about the double catchlights - I have a personal preference not to have them, but then that's because if I'm using lights it's to recreate the effect of the sun and natural light - but that's more a style issue than a like or dislike issue IMHO.

I know you were going for over processed, my comment though was that it was WAY over processed - I accept you haven't over sharpened, but that's the effect. Now these kind of effects can sell, but as you said, it's marmite (which I hate with a passion :LOL: ) and for me it's still way over processed.

However I also agree with you that by doing these kind of things you learn more about photoshop .... it's just for me, a lot of my learning got binned as never to see the light of day ;)

Hi Zoe,

Not SWPP? There's hope yet! :D I'm beginning to have my doubts about that organisation too! :(

Thanks for commenting again... a good difference of opinion is always healthy.
How can you NOT like Marmite? It's the food of the gods! (y)

Best wishes,
Si

love the processing ..the eyes are fabulous...though i wouldn't have used the double highlight myself
yes left side blown
would like to know how its done

i like marmite too

I dont like marmite but I do like the processing, I would like to hear how its done if you can enlighten me.

I like it myself...you should try it in b/w I did and looks quite amazing good shot (y)

Back