A mixed bag of insects and bugs

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from the last few days.

A St Marks fly female this was not easy as it was getting dark and it was windy

St-Marks-Fly-female by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A male zebra jumping spider not easy due to being in bright sunlight

Male-Salticus-scenicus by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A hover fly again getting dark and it was windy

Hover-fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A very shiny beetle

Hister-Beetle-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Again in bright sunlight and difficult I think it is a red mason bee but I am happy to be corrected

Bee by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Nice set of images Alf, with some great detail. I'm guessing that shiny beetle was a bit difficult to control the lighting.(y)

George.

Nice set of images Alf, with some great detail. I'm guessing that shiny beetle was a bit difficult to control the lighting.(y)

George.

Thanks George
The beetle was not easy but none of them were really

Nice set Alf. I like the flies best, particularly the hover fly - good clarity and detail. I'm not terribly keen on backgrounds with large dark areas, but I think that one works fine.

Thanks Nick I am not keen on dark backgrounds but it was hard enough to the hover fly in the frame long enough to shoot due to the wind let alone holding up a background so thats what I have.

For me the best is the St Marks fly - nice detail on the black fly.

Thanks Chris the St Marks fly needed some work to get the details showing but I am happy with that.

Thanks Nick I am not keen on dark backgrounds but it was hard enough to the hover fly in the frame long enough to shoot due to the wind let alone holding up a background so thats what I have.

For the avoidance of doubt Alf, that wasn't a criticism, but a compliment.:) I totally understand about getting the subject in the frame. We haven't had a calm day here for some time now. And whether or not there is a breeze (I'd call some of what we've had over the past week or three wind rather than breeze I think) I find I can't avoid black in the background sometimes, even with natural light occasionally.

"holding up a background" ... now that's something I've never tried.

Back