A newbie's portraits

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
Good day all,
A newbie to the site. I have included a couple of portraits that I did for my City and Guilds.
My portrait theme was lighting. I used candles, table lamps, torches and natural light.
The photo of Julie was natural light. The only thing done to the photo was to crop it to put on here.
Julie_Natural_Light.jpg

The photo of Michele was candlelight. Again the only thing done was to crop.
Michele_Candlelight.jpg

Both photos taken using a Canon EOS 1000f with a 35-80 USM lens and 64asa film.
Your comments appreciated.
I hope that I have done this right as I am a nerd when it comes to computers.
Thanks for looking.

In No 1, I think a little fill flash would have lifted the shadows slightly. The white top is more a grey than a white showing it's a little under exposed - a little exposure compensation would have helped. Also it doesn't look all that sharp although the original may be better?

No 2 doesn't look sharp either. I like the pose but the shodows around the nose are offputting. Moving the candle so the shadows were better placed would have helped.

Nice efforts though.

EOS JD,
Couldn't use any flash on the first as I was sowing different types of lighting for each of the eight photos that I submitted to C & G. Second photo, I agree that moving the candle would have given a better pic but I personally liked this version.
Thanks for your comments.

EOS JD,
Couldn't use any flash on the first as I was sowing different types of lighting for each of the eight photos that I submitted to C & G. Second photo, I agree that moving the candle would have given a better pic but I personally liked this version.
Thanks for your comments.

I apreciate the issues with No1 but it was still a bit under exposed. A little +EC might have helped.

Back