A Nikon for my daughter

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

A while back I got my daughter a Canon 450D so she could try it out - if was a semi success, but she was a bit too young, now at the lofty heights of eight she's showing more interest, the problem is I've moved to Nikon! (sorry!)
As I'm pretty new to Nikon could you suggest a model that would be a good starting point, something in the crops I think as she's looking to get closer.

Cheers

Good point - I guess as I could probably get £80-100 for the 450D + 18-55 I'd guess somewhere round £200 - she could use the Sigma 70-300 as its cheapish.

That could be a good one, thanks David.

Cheers guys - I'll have a squiz around - the 24m could come in handy if she's trying to crop heavily too - flickr calls for a good browse, after my bed :D

Well if alls gone well I've just snagged a D5300 for her (luck sod - I wish I'd had a parents like me!), but then it suddenly dawned on me about autofocus motors - is there a simple rule (that doesn't require holding the lens) to make sure I don't get lenses she can't use?

Perfect - I like it when its easy(ish) and AFS is :)

Thanks guys, I imagine they're relatively cheap too.

But she can use ANY Nikon F series lens....Manual focusing is all part of the learning curve and essential for macro. :)

They are, lack of in body motor is a moot point nowadays really as Nikon have released loads of good cheap AFS lenses.

It used to be that the choices for a fast prime was the cheap AFD 50mm or the expensive AFS 1.4 variant and that upset people a bit but with the excellent AFS 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 primes it's not a problem any more.

Sure you may miss out on some exotics but frankly I doubt that matters for 99% of people.

I bought a 400d for my 8 year old and the only problem is the weight of it with a reasonable length lens on it. Personally I'd get the lightest lens I could, she is only young after all. Perhaps a 50mm 1.8 if Nikon do a cheap one like canon do.

Wont the D5300 be to big/heavy with a zoom for a 8 yr old?

No, the Sigma 70-300 is really light, but no VR so I'll have to see how that works out for her.

The D5300 just landed and its not half bad - we popped the 85mm on and she's taken a couple of nice shots (for a front room snap).

Next I think will be a 18-55 as David suggests (BTW do you prefer David or Dave?) - something for the short end.

...and ordered, using the £22.50 worth of vouchers - I went with the newer VR II as it was cheap enough.

D3200/3300, teeny DSLRs so great for kids.

Budget?

Saw a D3200 in CEX in Chesterfield for £180 with the 18-55 vr2 kit lens. Didn't think that was bad but i could be way out. Lol.
This is my home town, but I've no idea what CEX is? :LOL:

Thats what I had in mind before I got the D5300 - lovely and light.

Dave or David is very civilised of you. It's a lot more civil than what I'm used to. :D

I think you've made a nice choice for her. She'll love the articulated screen!

CEX is the exchange shop in the town centre.

Dave or David is very civilised of you. It's a lot more civil than what I'm used to. :D

I think you've made a nice choice for her. She'll love the articulated screen!

CEX is the exchange shop in the town centre.
Ahh, you mean entertainment exchange? I've never thought of looking in there for camera gear tbh. Up until recently we had a LCE so always used that, or Harrisons for used.

You can get a good bargain at CEX, but unless the staff know what they're doing, I've found generally that some clueless sod has bought it from someone who knew they'd not be able to sell it elsewhere due to issues with focusing or some other intermittent issue. The amount of times I've seen bodycap-less DSLRs in the CEX window of Harrogate is utterly disgraceful. I'd never touch anything from there, as they clearly wouldn't have a clue about the potential issues they're introducing by leaving the sensors open to the elements. Not to mention the state of some of the products they have there.

You can get a good bargain at CEX, but unless the staff know what they're doing, I've found generally that some clueless sod has bought it from someone who knew they'd not be able to sell it elsewhere due to issues with focusing or some other intermittent issue. The amount of times I've seen bodycap-less DSLRs in the CEX window of Harrogate is utterly disgraceful. I'd never touch anything from there, as they clearly wouldn't have a clue about the potential issues they're introducing by leaving the sensors open to the elements. Not to mention the state of some of the products they have there.
That would be my concern tbh, and why I'll not even bother looking. I'd rather pay a bit more and know what I'm getting, plus have a good use warranty.

Budget?

Saw a D3200 in CEX in Chesterfield for £180 with the 18-55 vr2 kit lens. Didn't think that was bad but i could be way out. Lol.

Just got a new d3200 for £206 on ebay with 18-55mm lens.

nice

Back