A Noob's Views - Controversial??

Edit My Images
No
Ok here we go and I suspect that some of you may want to hunt me down and do nasty things after this but this post isn`t intended to offend or cause an argument merely a debate.

Right I`m VERY new to photography and I freely admit I know nothing, but I`m learning. The thing I`ve noticed is obviously we have all these fab technological computer programs to play about with pics (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or MS Paint if you`re me :p ) Now I fail to see how a photo can be praised if it has been modified in a program such as this? Respect IMO is using your camera to the best of your ability and choosing the setting, getting the timing right, lighting etc etc and combining all this to get the "perfect" shot. If however a poor shot is made to look better using one of these technologically advanced computer programs then surely the skill involved is not as a photographer but more as an expert of these programs?

For example I am slowly beginning to realise the skill, care and pure expertise involved in taking really good photographs and I do not believe that it is a skill easily gained, indeed years of practice may still not produce a "skilled" phtographer. Conversely these modifying programs would only take around a month to master? Perhaps slightly longer. The point being there are manuals and tutorials and given the required amount of time and dedication one could become a master of these and thereby produce "good" photographs from poor shots - basically involving no skill as a photographer but more as an expert of Photoshop. Conversely the same amount of time and effort will not necessarily produce a top quality photographer.

Like I say this is only my UNEDUCATED opinion and this may change as I learn more. Feel free to educate me :p

And if you`re still awake after all that....respect! 8)

Edit: Just to say that I have a HUGE amount of respect for the people that have mastered these programs as I know they are hugely difficult to learn. It just seems to me they are two different areas of expertise and should be treated as such :?:

there is an old saying Mark, you cant polish a turd!

You could call photoshopped pictures 'images' rather than photographs, though some photoshop techniques are based on darkroom techniques, i dont know to what extent though as i have never done any darkroom stuff.

A little shopping now and then can really resue an image, simply lightening an image could be called photoshopping it, where do we draw the line??

I have seen a good few shots that have been taken with absolutely no skill at all(mainly on my camera, lol)that have been shopped, but ultimately, they are still rubbish!

No-one will hunt you down mate, this question is probally being asked by many of film photographers as well as new starters.

My personal belief is that I try to get everything right at the time of taking the shot, my intention is to do NO editing at all when I get the shot back to the computer, other than maybe turning a colour image into black and white.

I never used film all that much, but I hear that many of the effects used on the computer now-a-days were also used in the developing stage of film processing. For example, Filters, colour correction, or exposure corrections.

I dont believe that anyone with in interest in photography thinks about post editing at the time of taking a shot, I certainly dont, if an image needs editing, I will do it, and learn from the corrections needed for next time.

The saying "You cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear" comes to mind.

You are absolutely correct and totally wrong at the same time..its fun isn’t it?

Lets see if we cant help you see the wood for the trees..photography is a art, its also a hobby and a lot of fun too, at least its meant to be but at times its more frustrating and very difficult. Working at your photography skill and camera craft will give you the best “out of camera” results and a great starting point. Generally most people are happy with the best results obtained at this point but for the professionals, they take it to the next stage. This has always been the case and even with conventional photography they would dodge and burn the prints in the darkroom during the processing stage. In modern photography (digital) the likes of Photoshop becomes the digital user’s darkroom and now offer many features and effects.

This opens a whole new world to the layman and is regarded as another tool to enhance the end result. Sure you can use them to mask mistakes and make a reasonable picture from a poor attempt, but the best results and show stopping pictures where always that, they are great photos to start with that are mostly improved and enhanced by select, skilled Photoshop work.

Everything is subjective though, from who likes what to how the post production is applied and weather it improves, distracts or mealy just offers a different take on the same image. Hence is it cheating or just making use of all tools that are available?

Thanks for the replies guys, like I say my opinion is based from a relatively un-educated standpoint so not very well informed as it`s good to hear views form more experienced people.

Liberalis said:
I would aslo like to add:

From a viewers point, does it matter what editing has been done, is it not the final image that matters.

I see your point there m8 as well, I think that "personally" I`m a purist (anally retentive?) in the respect that I prefer natural shots with they`re flaws. Take for example a supermodel being photographed. To me it is far more rewarding to see the flaws and imperfections rather than a photo-shopped image that is nowhere near reality. (Hence why I`m a buyer of Readers Wives rather then Playboy :LOL: )

Good to hear all sides tho and I appreciate the input!! [smilie=s: [smilie=s:

Liberalis said:
I would aslo like to add:

From a viewers point, does it matter what editing has been done, is it not the final image that matters.

very true!

would the blue rose have the same impact if i hadnt shopped it?

blueblack.jpg

To keep this interesting topic going...

How do you feel about unobtrusive Photoshop work? If there is some work applied during post processing but that work isn’t the obvious and unless you have been directed or informed of it, would you be bothered by that or would you see it at respectable use of tools and equipment available?

i think if used correctly PS can produce stunning results, my rose is a good example of what you can do easily, its still the same image, but with one colour channel altered to show a different colour.

Steve said:
To keep this interesting topic going...

How do you feel about unobtrusive Photoshop work? If there is some work applied during post processing but that work isn’t the obvious and unless you have been directed or informed of it, would you be bothered by that or would you see it at respectable use of tools and equipment available?

Good question. I still think that ANY photo-editing is cheating if the image is being presented as a photo. HOWEVER, I know very little about photo processing, darkroom techniques etc etc so if I did not know it was there then I probably would have mixed responses. Firstly respect that the person has skillfully manipulated the image so subtly and p***ed off that I didnt spot it lol.

Re. the blue rose, I admire the time, effort and skill that has gone into that image and it is a very striking image. However on a personal basis I prefer unadulterated shots with no editing. Again with very little knowledge of darkroom techiniques and how they transfer to the digital arena it is extremely difficult to know where to draw the line.

I suppose part of my attitude towards this is that I have no access (at the moment) to photo editing suites and must rely purely on my "skills" as a photographer. I expect when I have access to these programs my opinion will change somewhat.

This is very interesting, If you don't mind indulging me...I am curious, not wanting to test you but apart from the borders how do you view these images in terms of “purity”

IMG_4036_001.jpg

dm1v1small.jpg

concordeb_w.jpg

CRW_3848.jpg

Hmmm ok.

Image 1 - clearly not a photograph, not my cup of tea but very well done
Image 2 - I "think" this is an actual photograph and bloody well taken too!
Image 3 - Same as above and I think it looks tremendous in black and white
Image 4 - Looks photoshopped to me and a bit fake.

I`m probably wrong with most of these and this is probably due to a lack of experience and expertise. I can only give my honest opinion.

Again the purpose of this post was not to have a go at photoshopping, quite the opposite. I`ve requested numerous photos of my own to be photoshopped and have been very pleased with the results. I think in essence what I am saying is that once an image has been photoshopped, beyond what could have been achieved with film in a darkroom, it's at this stage it becomes a "cheat" if you`re trying to pass it off as an actual photo. If it's being presented as an image then fine, all credit to ya and more!!

I think your right that there are two different terms to be used. An Image and a Photograph.

However, A camera is only one part of the photographers tool kit. Where do you draw the line at being pure? If you start adding filters are you being pure? If you ytart playing with different lenses is that not changing the image that your eyes are seeing.

A camera on its own can only do a finite number of things. A darkroom is an extention of that to allow the photographer to be more creative, correct minor errors and so on. Photoshop and digital photography are just an extention of that concept. It is called progress.

It is not cheating. A program like Photoshop is an incredibly complex piece of software and requires far more skill to use properly than the camera a photo was taken with.

It is an interesting point though. I can't help feeling that the real purists dont like digital because they don't understand it and don't realise how much more creative it can let you be.

Ps, all of Steves shots are photographs imho. :D

Thank you for your honest opinion..

I understand you are not having a go at anyone or anything but you did raise a very good topic which I wanted to expand on and see where it went. I have been a little sly here with the four shots I have chosen and I honestly doubt that anyone would have been able to get all four correct. In fact the second shot has fooled many so called experts ;)

The first one is totally original and apart from the border has had nothing done to it. It’s as it came from the camera but took a lot of trial and error to perfect.

The second one is altered, the original of this shot had the right hand plane blurred slightly so I copied the left, flipped it in Photoshop, altered the shadows under the wings to match the angle from the light and then replaced the original. This I do regard as cheating but it demonstrates a great point in this thread.

The third shot is not original either, discounting the colour to B&W conversion which I personally believe to be acceptable, I have removed a set of boarding ladders that were leading up to the right hand side of Concorde as you look at it, I replaced the sky that they were masking manually using others shot at the same time as a guide. I also removed some runway markings and a plane from the background. This focuses the attention onto the plane and allowed me a “perfect” finished image that in any other circumstances simply would not be possible. The Photoshop work applied here I would regard as advanced but totally unobtrusive and backs up the good starting point theory I presented at the start of this thread. Without the work I applied here (which took over 6 hours) this image would not be in the same league.

The last shot is again totally original and the effects seen there are from the use of filters at the shooting stage. A combination of circular polarizer, Neutral density graduated filter and a tobacco filter to add to the sunset where all used.

Where`s the "round of applause" smiley when u need it. Image 1 - WOW!! Didn't think you could get effects like that with a camera! I knew there was something odd about image 2 but couldn't quite place my finger on it. Image 3 had me totally fooled and looks very natural, very well done. Image 4 IMO looks like a painting or something done on a graphics tablet so again I didn't even realise these sort of things were achievable.

I`ve had my opinion swayed slightly through this topic and I would say that any effects done at the point of shot filters etc (not even sure what these do but I`ll learn) are all acceptable to a "purist" I just can`t get my head around an "image" that has been altered in photoshop "post-shot" as it were being presented as a photograph. A photograph IMO is something unaltered after the shot is taken, anything altered is an image.

Again this comes down to a number of factors, my lack of knowledge of photo editing processes albeit darkroom or digital and a lack of experience. This topic has been very informative and I hope to learn more as I`m sure other members will have their say in it.

As for the 4 images that were presented----------SUCKERED!! Big time! :LOL:

Not suckered at all Mark, I just chose those shots due to their unusual nature in as much as the ones that look unedited where actually post processed heavily and the others that look manufactured where created naturally.

markyg said:
I suppose part of my attitude towards this is that I have no access (at the moment) to photo editing suites and must rely purely on my "skills" as a photographer. I expect when I have access to these programs my opinion will change somewhat.

If you are on a fast internet connection you can give the trial versions a go if you wish. Most of them are fully functional and free to use for 30days. I have listed the three main ones here but there are others available also.

Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements

Jasc Paint Shop Pro

Also check out the covers of the monthly Photography mags as they sometimes give away the slightly older versions of Paint Shop Pro and demo/trial versions of Photoshop.

Hope that helps a little and thanks for indulging me :)

Late entry to this discussion :) , and I don't know if I can add much (but that won't stop me trying!).

Steve has said it all really - post-processing is the digital equivalent of old 'wet' darkroom techniques which were (and are) considered to be photographically legitimate to achieve effects and enhancements that cannot be captured at Stage 1. If you look at the Tutorials forum, you'll see how PS and PSP can be used to blend images in order to obtain the correct exposure for both the sky and the foreground. In Ye Olde Days the same thing could be done by physical masks in the darkroom.

The availability of post-processing does not relieve the photographer of the obligation to get the best results possible from the camera, but it also opens up new possibilities. As Steve's photos show, it is often difficult to distinguish between images where clever filtering has been used at the time of shooting, and those which have been altered in post-processing. IMO these techniques are justified if the finished result is aesthetically appealing.

I'll throw another pic into the ring....

geese3.jpg

In the original, the head of the right hand goose was hidden behind the wing of the left one, so I moved RH goose and stitched on the head/neck of the first one. That's a complete cheat, of course, but can you tell and does it matter? It would have been better to have shot the photo without the overlap, but unfortunately my skills at goose choreography are abysmal! :D

there is an old saying

" The camera never lies "

well thats about the biggest load of c**p goin, since photography was invented, every, and i mean every processed image has been adjusted to meet certain criteria, either by hand or in the lab, even down to the strength of chemical mixtures to the temeperature of them, the paper used the duration for exposure for prints, and even the quality of the equipment used.

i feel that its the final result that should be judged for what it is trying to say, possibly with the knowlege of what has been altered for the effect , tho this shouldnt detract from your impresion of the image,

at the end of the day, nothing can reproduce an image as you see it with your eye, your brain is the most pwerfull post processing tool you have, the other things just help you get closer to what you think you want

MyPix

I seriously doubt that there is any professional photographer or famous photographer who does not or has not worked on a print to get it right. In fact there really is no such thing as a pure image in respect of not being worked on to some degree.

I've used the example of Ansell Adams before in this context, a man whos' photography inspired me to take up the hobby many years ago. He wrote a series of books on how to produce the best image, starting with taking the shot, then developing the negative then making the final print. At the start he decides what he wants the final print to look like and then adapts each part of the process to bring about that end. The choice of lens and film, the different choice of chemicals in the development process, dodging and burning, adjusting the angle of the enlarger lens to affect DoF when exposing the print then the choice of chemicals to develop the print, then fixing possible problems with dust marks. Then doing it all again to create a different effect. All of that was time consuming and in effect no different to you or I using a graphics program to 'develop' a digital print.

Remember too that while you may think you are taking a photograph that needs no work, there's a fair bit of processing done by the camera before it saves the final image. If you take a shot on film and send it away for development the person doing the developing makes decisions about how the final print will look.

a fascinating thread! MarkyG i suggest you get yourself some cds and some water and get shooting, trying all differnt things, you can get stricking results!
6_G.jpg

7_G.jpg

Steve, had me on most of them too, except concorde cos i saw that one before!!

markyg said:
Now I fail to see how a photo can be praised if it has been modified in a program such as this? Respect IMO is using your camera to the best of your ability and choosing the setting, getting the timing right, lighting etc etc and combining all this to get the "perfect" shot. If however a poor shot is made to look better using one of these technologically advanced computer programs then surely the skill involved is not as a photographer but more as an expert of these programs?

Hmm.. and what if the thing you're trying to shoot doesn't exist, or you have in your mind something that's technically impossible? Maybe just too problematical to setup?

What if I wanted to shoot an army of cloned, female warriors running across a beach? What then? I could A) dismiss the idea as impossible, and just decide that to use digital manipulation is cheating, give up, and let an idea pass, or B) Use Photoshop.

You're saying option B is cheating.

Well, first of all... it's only the program doing the work if you just click on a filter, sure, but what if you are genuinely skilled in photo-manipulation? Is that not just the same as manipulating the image in a darkroom? After all, would you call Ansel Adams a cheat, or unskilled? What, with the use of the zone system, N+/- development, printing techniques, paper and exposure manipulation.... NON of his prints are "real" or "honest". Look at his picture Moonrise Hernandez".. you think that's real??? Since when has the sky been black when the sun is shining? No.. it's not real... NON of his prints are real.. they're ALL manipulated.

Ok.. so back to the original scenario:

charmbattle.jpg

That's cheating is it? If so, why? You tell me what Photoshop did to aid me photographically there. The only thing it did, was provide the impossible - 40 or so identical twins. I still had to shoot each individual image before I put them together. And... you talk of using photoshop as if it isn't a skill in itself!!! Can you TELL it's been made in photoshop? I'll post a hi-res version if you want, and i defy anyone to tell. Other than the fact that the women are identical, every shadow, every clump of sand kicked up by feet.. every angle.. perfect. All airbrushing is done by hand.. no filters used... How is that less skilled than if I did emulsion lifts or some other old school technique?

Photography is about the image you get at the end of it, not what you do to achieve it.

markyg said:
For example I am slowly beginning to realise the skill, care and pure expertise involved in taking really good photographs and I do not believe that it is a skill easily gained, indeed years of practice may still not produce a "skilled" phtographer.

I'm sorry, but learning to use a camera is easy.. photography ain't rocket science :LOL: You could train a Chimp to take a sharp, well exposed photo. It's not about cameras, and technical things... these are an aside... it's about images.. it's about what you take a picture OF... not how you take it.

markyg said:
Conversely these modifying programs would only take around a month to master?

I'm sorry mate, but you're just wrong, and showing your naivity now. I've been using Photoshop since version 4, and I'm still learning every day. If you think you've "mastered" photoshop in a month, be prepared to get a right royal raping when you go out there and try to get a job that entails using it in any professional capacity. It takes years, or even decades to master Photoshop. If anyone tells you they're an expert, they're also a liar.

Also... at this point... I'd like to point out that I use Photoshop only when I can't do it any other way. If it's easier to do in camera, then it will be done in camera, and I can acheive effecst every bit as good, and fantastical as using PS.

death.jpg

See that? All in camera... not even teh darkroom.. IN CAMERA. Don't believe me? Well.. tough.. you're welcome to see the negs... my contact details are on my website. It's a time exposure... the model sat still for 10 minutes!!! Lighting was just candles, and me walking around with a mag-lite. The red on the crucifix and and the "blood" is my light painting with a laser. The "ghost" in the background is also me. Why didn't I do that is PS?? Cos it would have been more difficult, that's why. Is what I've done here more skillful cos I did it old-school??? I think not.

markyg said:
The point being there are manuals and tutorials and given the required amount of time and dedication one could become a master of these and thereby produce "good" photographs from poor shots - basically involving no skill as a photographer but more as an expert of Photoshop. Conversely the same amount of time and effort will not necessarily produce a top quality photographer.

Rubbish... you can not make a good photograph from a bad one.. sorry. You can't fool me.. I can tell a desperate attempt to correct mistakes from 50 feet away, and anyone who knows what they're doing can as well.

markyg said:
Like I say this is only my UNEDUCATED opinion and this may change as I learn more. Feel free to educate me :p

Then why post inflammatory comments when you admit to not knowing what you're talking about? Photoshop is a tool.. just like a lens, or a meter, or... a camera. I could show you work that is heavily manipulated, and you'd never even know it. THAT'S when photoshop is well used. Not to rescue a shot, but to create the impossible.. because it CAN'T be done in camera. So.. what's wrong with that? After all, isn't creating imagery about giving vent to your imagination? What you suggest is that we curb that imagination, for fear of not earning the respect of photographer who feel it's somehow less skillful? Well.. usually, the type of photographer than thinks that, is usually rubbish anyway, and just photographs steam trains in his local camera club, so A) who cares, and B) you're a dinosaur if you feel that because out there in teh real world matey, no one uses film anymore, and everything you see has been through photoshop. You try and actually work in teh industry with your attitude, and you will simply be laughed at. You're out of date. Photoshop, whilst it CAN be used by skill free hacks to try and improve things, is now a firmly established tool of the trade and skill in it's use is ESSENTIAL if you ever want to work in this field. Those that have resisted, or refuse it, are now paying the price, panicking, or retiring... good riddance to them, as they're holding back progress.

If Ansel Adams was still alive, he'd be loving it, because in one of the last things he every wrote, he was very excited about the prospect of digital imaging... I wonder if you would have called him a cheat?

If you're interested, I wrote a dissertation on this subject - the subject of people thinking digital imaging is somehow a "Lesser" art.

If you're interested, or anyone else... there's a link to it below. It's a 2.5Mb word file tho, so not 56k friendly. However... read it MarkyG, and you'll realise, "There's no such thing as digital imaging"

It can be found here http://www.davidgregory.plus.com/dissertation.doc

markyg said:
And if you`re still awake after all that....respect! 8)

Still awake.

markyg said:
Edit: Just to say that I have a HUGE amount of respect for the people that have mastered these programs as I know they are hugely difficult to learn. It just seems to me they are two different areas of expertise and should be treated as such :?:

Wrong... they're not.. why make that distinction? It's all photography. take a look at my website at http://www.david-gregory.co.uk Everything you see on there, apart from the woman with the iron, the guy snorting the Pot noodle, and the woman in white in teh padded cell, plus the one I've already shown you.. the death one.. apart from those 4 images, everything is MASSIVELY manipulated... in fact.. the ones that are location shots.. aren't. The vulcan bomber one? The woman holding the crystal ball? How about the woman on the bench? Nope... not location shots. The models were in a studio against a white backdrop.. the locations were shot seperately. Cheating? No.. I still have to take all the same thiungs into account. I still have to match lighting, exposure, and understand the physics behind it. You think it's easy to shoot someone indoors then paste them into a shot outdoors? Try it... LOL. No.. it takes not only skill in Photoshop, but skill as a photographer, because in order to "cheat" at photography, you have to be a master of photography, just as someone who cheats at cards, is usually a master card player.

SOrry, but no time to spell check that, and besides.... as your opening line suggests, I, or my work, is not worthy of respect :LOL:

How about putting your money where your mouth is? May we see your work?

I'm not angry at your comments, nor bothered by them, and welcome to the forum. It would just be interesting to see what you deem to be skilled work compared to what you consider unskilled... what you consider to be real photography vs. cheating.

Please read my paper... it's a bit weighty, but meticulously researched, unbiased, and honest. I used to feel the same as you until I researched the subject. It's now rare that I don't manipulate my images in some way... there's a reason for that: I've learned that when used properly, photoshop is just the 21st century darkroom, nothing more. Photographers have been "cheating" for over 150 years... but for some reason, you feel that cheating in a dark room with chemicals is more honest. I wonder why.

Seriously m8 get a grip. All throughout this thread I have never made any inflammatory comments merely stating my opinion as I see it. Rightly or wrongly those are my opinions. If this is the kind of gestapo response that every newbie gets to this forum then it`s not going to last long. I came here to try and learn about photography in all it`s mediums. Never once have I said I know what I am talking about.

"How about putting your money where your mouth is? May we see your work? "

Work? What work I don`t have any work. I`ve taken a few photos, none of which I deem to be particulary good or impressive as I am only just starting out.

I think your response is petty, full of it and bloody ignorant IMO. Going through the thread to pick up every single little thing I have said and then to go on and critisise me for it. Did you actually take anything from my posts? I AM NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY. I KNOW VERY LITTLE EVEN NOTHING ABOUT IT. It`s called LEARNING!!

"Don't believe me? Well.. tough.. "

Good argument there :roll:

"Then why post inflammatory comments when you admit to not knowing what you're talking about"

Nothing I have said was meant to be inflammatory and no-one else who has responded to this thread has thought so. If I have upset anyone by my comments I apologise, that was not my intent.

"I used to feel the same as you until I researched the subject"

So what you`re saying is that when you were in my position you felt the same way, but now with all your experience this gives you the right to dismiss my comments? Have you read my sig? I suggest you do before making anymore insulting comments.

Just as an aside I have learned from your post and I intend to read the dissertation as it`s obvious that you have a great deal of expertise in this area. I would suggest trying to remember back to when you were in my position before making a reply that was both insulting and arrogant IMO.

Liberalis said:
so, is this the forums first scrap ?

duel.gif

hmmm could be....now the question is...shall i get the big red letters out, or ban them both, or delete the thread, or edit it heavily......or just say..

chill out guys, Pook was obviously piqued by something there, Markyg is going to read the dissertation and gain some knowledge from it. we are all here to learn and share, marky is more of a n00b then most of us, so lets not be too harsh on what is a valid question, Pook has raised some valid points in his reply also, though Harsh, he has put across another point of view!

anyway...

carry on, but no throwing things please [smilie=b:

Liberalis said:
Well said mate.

well i have had a lot of practice!! [smilie=t:

Ah the age old discussion. The problem is that people don't realise what year it is. Its 2005, the Digital Age. People are still treating digital cameras like film cameras. Taking the shot, and then "developing" it by copying it to their PC. People are forgetting that a Photoshop like application is running on your camera to process the results. If I used my Canon A70 on sepia mode and did no other editing to it would that still be cheating? It has been digitally edited but on the camera. It just goes to show how the lines have blurred. Another example. Infrared photography. I put the IR filter on my 10D and take the shot. I get a red tinted picture. It then has to be "developed" in Photoshop by adjusting levels and swapping channels. The composition of the photo hasn't changed at all, only the colour of the entire image has. If you can adjust the aperature, ISO, shutter speed, white balance or metering to create the effect you want, then why not other things in Photoshop? Using RAW files you have no choice but to digitally edit them, so anyone with a decent SLR is "cheating".

I would also like to point out that learning Photoshop does not take a few months :) I've been using it for 6 years and still have lots to learn, just as I do with photography.

I think mark has raises some important issues and his self confessed limited photographic experience highlights what a great many people STILL think about digital photography, just have a read through Ametuer photographer or one of the mags aimed at seasoned snappers. infact...... I was put off joining a foto club because of the old school attitude to the digital age.

I think by now Mark has also seen the more powerful side of image manipulation and i'm sure his opinion of "shopping" has been changed, with use i'm sure he'll begin to wonder how he ever managed without it.

I'm all for heated threads and healthy discussion on most topics, but they won't be allowed to decline into insults and public bickering, so lets all keep it real and maybe we'll all learn something new. :)

Liberalis said:
so, is this the forums first scrap ?

duel.gif

Banning? Deleting? Wow.... I thought we were having a debate. None of us are going to move forward if we just become a bunch of yes men who just say nice thing sto each other all the time. My response was meant to provoke a debate..... not a fight. I'm sure the original poster's attitude is due to not fully realising what digital imaging is really about, and probably been brainwashed by Amateur Photographer, and other such third rate journalistic abortions that pretend to be photography magazines. The prevailing attitude to digital imaging in such publications is greatly damaging, and when you think about it, stupid: Digital camera sales FAR outstrip film cameras now. Until recently, this was only in the consumer market, but now it's in the professional market as well. NO one shoots film anymore, with the exception of architechture, who still use large format for the movements they offer, but even these are now starting to use digital backs on their Sinars and Linhoffs.

To suggest that Photoshop is somehow a negative thing, used to rescue bad shots, and championed by those of limited skills is as ridiculous as saying that using a computer to design a car is cheating, cos in the old days we had REAL designers, who used a pencil and a set of French curves!! It's called progress... the computer is a tool, nothing more. Whilst there will be a minority who use it to try and disguise a poor shot, the reality is, it ddoesn't work, and the only people they'll fool are people equally as inept.

Quite simply.. Digital imaging is here... and here to stay. It's popularity will continue to increase, and film will become a thing of the past. It is already becoming a thing of the past. Chemical darkroom work is almost non existent, and to highlight this, the only London lab that refused to go digital has now gone bust... Joe's Basement... there own fault for being an ostrich with it's head in teh sand.

People said these things about the demise of steam trains: It's the end of an era, and things will never be the same. Well, yes, it was an end of an era... so what?? You want to stay still forever, and never make progress?

To put it in it's simplest terms - if you deny the power of digital imaging, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. No one is going to think you're work is more pure, or skillful... in fact, the opposite. You'll just never be able to keep up. There will be things that you will simply not be able to acheive chemically. It's not that to do these things digitally is cheating, it;'s just that things previously thought of as impossible, or too problematical, are now accessible. This was true for when previous advances were introduced. WHen 35mm was introduced, the Old School possie were whining about it being a "toy" format, that will only be used by amateurs, and has no real use for professionals. I wonder if they had a nice side salad with their words?

Same thing... same argument. The future is here... embrace it, or become extinct.. your choice :LOL:

digitalfailure said:
I'm all for heated threads and healthy discussion on most topics, but they won't be allowed to decline into insults and public bickering, so lets all keep it real and maybe we'll all learn something new. :)

No one has insulted anyone, and no one is bickering. It's just about time we put this old debate to bed I think... it was valid 5 years ago.. just.. but it's just stupid for someone to still be decrying digital as some sort of lesser relation to "real" photography. Shall we enter into a debate as to whether the world is flat? It would be just as redundant. :LOL:

"chill out guys, Pook was obviously piqued by something there"

To be honest, yes... you're right. I was probably what you would call an "early adopter" into digital... and as a result, I've had to fight like a demon to gain acceptance in a world that until recently was very anti-digital. Only in the past handful of years has it become almost mainstream. It still irks me that newcomers to the hobby/profession are still being brainwashed by idiots like the talentless, small-minded fools who work for publications like AP. Mark's belief didn't just spring out of thin air.. it was put there by someone or something. Left to his own devices with no external input, he'd have probably just got on with it and assumed that digital imaging was the most natural thing on earth. All supposition on my part, granted, but I'd put money on it.

Why are people still so doggedly determined to hang on to the past, and do nothing but slag off anything digital as crap? Sometimes, I just want to shake these people, and shout at them... much teh same way I wish to do the same to people who buy Vauxhall Corsas... "Why?? Do you not see?".... well.. probably not.

Pook said:
Banning? Deleting? Wow.... I thought we were having a debate. None of us are going to move forward if we just become a bunch of yes men who just say nice thing sto each other all the time. My response was meant to provoke a debate..... not a fight.

We were having a debate and hopefully it will continue, however it is obvious that your direct posting style is completely different to Markyg’s. The only issue as I see it is that your response above is directed at Marks lack of experience rather than his point of view. That does not make his opinion any less valid or important, nor does it make it right.

Both of you are entitled to put across your views as others already have. Debating the issue civilly will not only be interesting but also mean a lot of useful information will get shared by everyone. Nobody here wants anyone to be a yes man and we like to encourage sharing of ideas, opinions and experiences.

Please remember that we are a new forum, we are finding our feet and our style, we will not single out or isolate any members. Every single member here has the same rights to their opinion regardless of their experience; we value beginners in the same light as experts and equally offer both a home.

One last thing to remember, it’s far easier to get people to understand and be open to your point of view if you don’t get their back up in the first place. ;)

Enjoy the forums and continue to share ideas and opinions..

Wow can of worms! Tbh I have never read a photography magazine, nor any articles on photography. My only experience with cameras prior to this was my mum's old crappy 35mm with a flash that worked about half the time. My interest really started on another website which has it`s own Photoshop section, I believe there are a few members of both forums on here as well. Seeing the images that were posted and viewing the results created by image manipulation really started to get me interested in photography. Alas MS paint was not sufficient to allow me ta partake in the competitions :D

I have to admit my opinion towards image manipuation tools has been changed quite dramatically purely from reading the repsonses in this thread - which at the end of the day was my original point. I`m here to learn and progress my knowledge using the forum. I suspect that I will be posting other questions that would probably seem quite simple to those with any experience in photography so I apolgise in advance if my views seem nieve, although case in point - they ARE!

Anyway onward and upward!

would that have been my Photoshop competition i ran marky? if it was, then im pleased that you were inspired, that was the idea!!!!

EosD said:
would that have been my Photoshop competition i ran marky? if it was, then im pleased that you were inspired, that was the idea!!!!

Twas indeed m8y!! Made a few attempts in Paint but not even worth looking at!!! :LOL:

markyg said:
Twas indeed m8y!! Made a few attempts in Paint but not even worth looking at!!! :LOL:

Did you see my post with the links for the free trials of PS, Elements and Paint Shop Pro or are you not on broadband?

I think all the experienced users of this forum will be able to help you along m8!

If you want to know how to do something, just ask! im sure that we all have different methods to reach teh final goal, we would all learn something if we all share our methods.

Steve said:
markyg said:

Did you see my post with the links for the free trials of PS, Elements and Paint Shop Pro or are you not on broadband?

I did indeed m8!! Not on broadband but I`m in the process of sorting something out so I can give it a shot!!

NB I revise my earlier opinion of taking a month to master!! 8)

markyg said:
Steve said:
markyg said:

I did indeed m8!! Not on broadband but I`m in the process of sorting something out so I can give it a shot!!

i think maybe Arkady was pming you on MEG? Has he done that?

markyg said:

Don’t forget that trials are very regularly included on Photography Magazine cover discs. If that’s not an option and you are still not sorted by the end of next weekend, drop me a PM with your details and I will download a couple of the trials and burn them to a CD for you.

There is no point dropping me a line before next Friday though as I am away from home for the whole of next week.

Hope that helps

Back