A numpty question for you macro types

Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot a Fuji X-T1.
I've got a bad back and bad knees which makes crawling tricky and don't like waiting ages for something to happen!
We get here a lot of moths resting every morning. All sorts and sizes. We also get lots of insecty type thingies in the garden which is full of flowers and attracts them.
I thought I'd like to have a go at getting some shots of them now that I'm at home most days.
I don't have a macro lens so here's my options as I see them....
*I could get a Raynox 250 and stick it on my 56mm Fuji lens. If I don't persevere I could always sell it. But would I get really good close up shots with it?
*I could buy a legacy lens with a manual aperture ring - M42 - and use an adaptor but some lenses don't always marry up well and I don't know enough about them to just jump in. Then also what fl would I get? That would be a cheapish option, but probably not much different £wise to the Raynox.
*I could wait for the Fuji 120mm macro due out "soon", but this will be top price initially.
*I could buy somehting like the Venus/Laowa 60mm which will give 2.1 magnification, albeit I'd need a cheap adaptor. I'd get the Canon version because I still have some Canon extension rings from when I was on Canon some time back.

Does having a longer fl allow me to stand off further so not frightening things away, but still give the same results, or do I loose something? Creeping up to a fly time after time only to see it fly away when I try and focus will drive me bonkers! If so a 120mm would be better than a 50mm, Yes/No?

Advice please. I'd like to get some good decent close up shots of interesting little things, but don't really know where to start, even before we start on about lighting.

Hi,
1st of all, this camera does have a macro mode, have you tried that with your standard lens ?
The Raynox is good and inexpensive compared to some lens in cost terms but you will be close to the subjects, some 1-4cms.
With the upcoming Fuji 120 out soon this sounds like a great option and maybe with the camera in macro mode you might get quiet close.
I don't use the Venus 60mm but I understand it's not as easy as other lens so maybe I'd rule that option out.
I think for a start, try the macro mode with your 56mm and post some photos here.
Hope this helps in your decision.

Thanks. Yes there is an automatic macro mode on the Fuji but I've never tried it in anger. Reports are not too good but I will try it and see I'll take some ordinary shots - coins and the like and see how that works.

Do I always have to get close up or would a longer lens let me stand off somewhat ?

Thanks. Yes there is an automatic macro mode on the Fuji but I've never tried it in anger. Reports are not too good but I will try it and see I'll take some ordinary shots - coins and the like and see how that works.

Do I always have to get close up or would a longer lens let me stand off somewhat ?
Have a test, see what works best, sorry but I have no idea about those cameras.

Well that didn't work.
This is with the 56mm and the closest I could get focus was over 20" away. Forget the camera shake!

FXT10874
by mickledore on Talk Photography

This was with the 14mm at 6" or so, but still nowhere near close enough.

FXT10872
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Mate, you could always pick up the Fuji 60mm macro and pop some extension tubes in front of it to get better magnification. You could even reverse it. Buy one used and you'll sell it for what you paid for it if you don't continue with macro.
I did have one of those, but sold it. I really didn't like it and couldn't get on with it. It's not a true macro either is it? Just a very close up lens, or so I'm told.

I did have one of those, but sold it. I really didn't like it and couldn't get on with it. It's not a true macro either is it? Just a very close up lens, or so I'm told.

Yeah, it's not 1:1 as you'd expect of a "true" macro lens but all the auto functions will work with the X-T1. Are you comfortable with no AF and manual everything?

Yes. No problem there. Did you see my paint shots? They were manual everything.

Not sure I did, actually? OK, in that case, grab a Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Auto-Macro (Komine). You can find them on the 'Bay for £60-£100 and they're tack sharp. True macro 1:1, pop extension tubes in front for 2:1 and reverse it at will. Super little lens and no money at all. They have a cult following amongst macro photographers. It's apparently Thomas Shahan's favourite lens (click on the link and check out his photos - most of those were taken with the Vivitar). Since getting mine I've used it more than the Laowa. Here's mine:

http://thirtyfivemill.com/vivitar-55mm-f2-8-auto-macro-komine/

Last edited:

Yes, that's it. I have the Nikon mount, too. Offer him £80 and see how he responds. You'll get it cheaper than £115 but even at that price it's a very good lens. Sharpness is well on par with a Nikon 105mm Micro AF-D.

Last edited:
I've put in an offer of £100. He can only say no. £15 isn't a lot in the greater scheme of things.
You'll have to point me at an adaptor soon.

Mate, you could always pick up the Fuji 60mm macro and pop some extension tubes in front of it to get better magnification. You could even reverse it. Buy one used and you'll sell it for what you paid for it if you don't continue with macro.
I would suggest also extension tubes

Well I might just not get on with it. But I know you'll be only too happy to help!!!

You coming on that London meet in May? I'll buy you a pint as a thank you?

My first love was Rangers. Suppose it always will be when it's Old Firm time.
Realistically both have now fallen quite a long way down and the chances of them joining, let alone surviving in, the Premier League must be very slim.

My first love was Rangers. Suppose it always will be when it's Old Firm time.
Realistically both have now fallen quite a long way down and the chances of them joining, let alone surviving in, the Premier League must be very slim.

Dunno. They've got the support, therefore the finances. I'd like to see it happen.

Can't see the Football League agreeing to it. They would have to loose two places of promotions. And Rangers/Celtic don't have strong enough teams to guarantee survival.
But as ever....money talks. So who knows?

Looking forward to seeing your results Mickledore, having a similar go myself with a Tamron 90mm and a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Iris.

WingTsun - thanks for the Thomas Shahan link, his work is fantastic!

Back