A Photograph From Deepest Perthshire Taken Last Weekend

Edit My Images
Yes
I usually attach high emotional values to photographs which required a lot of effort and toil - like my Loch Dochard photograph when I hiked 5 miles in knee deep snow to get there.

This one however was taken 10 yards away from the car in wonderfully calm conditions. I set up the camera and tripod about 6 feet from the shore in relatively shallow water. It was approaching sunset and all the breaks in the cloud where much further up Loch Rannoch and I had no time to get up there. So I settled for this beautifully sculpted dead tree half submerged in the water. I started making some long exposures looking over to Meall Druidhe but the light was drab and the photos where rather boring.

I watched with envy as the low cloud much further up the loch was being illuminated by the low sun. The water level was perilously close to the top of my wellies and so could not make the angle to shoot this tree looking up the loch. My flight of fancy at that moment was to have a break in the cloud which would allow the golden sunlight to light up the cloud swirling around Meall Druidhe.

A few minutes later my fanciful thought was starting to be realised. I watched as the suns rays spread along the loch side and up to my location. I had a feeling that light would reach all the way over to me and across the mountain. I stood transfixed as if the light was being controlled by me. As soon as the light reached the desired location I quickly fired off a few shots as the light could quite easily disappear in an instant. I need not have worried. The light actually stayed there for a few minutes allowing me to fine tune my exposure and composition to make this shot.

The only gripe I have with the photo, and admittedly it’s a small one, is that I had to grad to the bottom of the illuminated cloud meaning that the detail in the trunk of the tree gets lost and looks a little dark.

Forgetting that, I have already fallen in love with this picture and is the only photograph I have made so far which I have a strong attachment to despite being relatively easy to make!

15 sec @ f/22

"Highland Harmony"

5181620743_0977e6599a_o.jpg

(hosted on flickr)

for more narrative and 6 more photos from my Perthshire trip see here -
http://www.thenorthlight.co.uk/blog/f590877681464955b71b0e5af04ea689

Thanks for looking

dave

Last edited:
Fantastic wish it was in my portfolio.

Great set of other images in your link of the trip. Recommend to others here to take a look

Last edited:
Personally I don't see the harmony there at all. If anything the spiky dead tree has an aggressive feeling to it. The way it crosses the horizon and the illuminated cloud adds to the almost violent feeling this picture evokes in me.

That's not to say that its a bad picture. It just feels confused to me and it is not clear what feeling you are trying to express.

Sorry....

Back