A play with a 100mm Macro

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a play with a relatives Canon 100mm USM Macro lens and would like your opinions on my photos and what I can do to improve and get better photos.

Many Thanks

IMG_7787-1.jpg

IMG_7789-2.jpg

IMG_7858-3.jpg

IMG_7867-4.jpg

IMG_7881-6.jpg

IMG_7892-8.jpg

All C&C's welcome!

Matt

A few more

IMG_7874-5.jpg

IMG_7909-9.jpg

IMG_7916-10.jpg

Last edited:
Any one got any comments or criticism?

Thank you very much!

Thanks very much any other comments or criticism?

As you are looking for criticism Matt, to be quite honest I think they are all fairly soft. The Canon 100 is a cracking macro lens that is capable of far better images IMHO.
It would be easier to find out what is going on if you supplied the EXIF data - what was the shutter speeds, f stop and ISO's ?

Thank you Roy C, I can't improve if people don't tell me things. When I export from LR2 it seems to remove all exif not sure why. Will try and get info ASAP.

All shot handheld whilst very windy. Any tips on getting sharper crisper shots? All used AF.

Thank you for you comments all!

Thank you Roy C, I can't improve if people don't tell me things. When I export from LR2 it seems to remove all exif not sure why. Will try and get info ASAP.

All shot handheld whilst very windy. Any tips on getting sharper crisper shots? All used AF.

Thank you for you comments all!

I am sure there will be others who will give you some useful tips Matt but wind is the big enemy with outdoor macro stuff so that did not help.
Assuming you have an adequate shutter speed what is your f stop - I use f11 as a general starting point although it varies as to want you want to acheive of course. Macro lenses give you a very narrow DOF as can be seen in shot number 7 where the front of the fushia is fairly in focus but the rest is out of focus.
I prefer AI servo mode when using AF hand held. I would also shoot in high burst mode - the more shots you take the more chance you have of nailing one.
Just my 2p's worth Matt but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
That was very helpful!

Most shot at something like in between f/2.8 and f/3.5 and around 1/250th and 1/320th shutter speed.

I'll up the ISO a bit more, was mainly on ISO400 but will go up to around ISO800 to try and get an aperture of around f/8 and f/11 to get a better DOF.

I think it's nearly a very good set. Agree you need f8 minimum, preferably more. Having said that, Nos. 5, 6 and 8 work for me as they are. 9 would also be good if it wasn't a bee's backside.

A flash, while not always needed, does make life easier.

Thanks Simon, I do have a flash just not sure how to set it up for macro as in where to position and what sort of power is normally necessary without making it look like a flash is being used.

Thanks Simon, I do have a flash just not sure how to set it up for macro as in where to position and what sort of power is normally necessary without making it look like a flash is being used.

It took a lot of practice and playing before I got it anywhere near right.
I use a Lumiquest diffuser, on camera, manual and a little under 1/8 power.

Seems to work most of the time.

Hi Simon do you have a link to what diffuser it is you use from looking they do quite a variety.

Many thanks

The macro bug is very easily picked up and very addictive, which im sure you'll find.
As been stated before an F stop of atleast F11 should really be used for most things, A Few tips i was given and have served me fantasticly so far are:
1) When shooting bugs always make the main focus point the eyes, seems like common sense but if the eyes arnt centural in the frame its very easy to focus on the center point and not the eyes.
2) Use your manual setting with an ISO 100, F11 and shutter 250th of a second, and use and adjust the power of the flash to alter the exposure of the pics. Also if your shooting bugs the flash really helps to freeze any motion when you take the pic to get clean sharp pics. (This one HERE)
3) Make sure you defuse the flash, doesnt have to be expensive. i personaly use a £2.50 one from ebay. But some of the best macro photos ive seen have been defused using tracing paper and cut up milk cartons. (Doesnt mater if the camera is covered in milk bottle clippings and looks crap when taking the photo, its the photo that counts) (I use this one HERE)

Last edited:
Advice given to me by gatekeeper

Originally Posted by jomantha
Any more general advice would be greatly appreciated
Most of my photos are macros/close-ups. For insects, spiders etc I mainly use a Raynox 150, which is less powerful than the Raynox 250. I do occasionally use the Raynox 250 for very small things. For flowers etc I mainly use a Canon 500D close-up lens. This is less powerful than the Raynox 150.

I use a (small sensor, low IQ) Canon SX10is bridge camera rather than a dSLR, but I suspect there are common issues with using a macro/close-up lens on a dSLR.

I believe there is no one "right way" of doing macro/close-ups - what works for one person may not work for someone else. For example, most people don't use autofocus for macros. I pretty much always use autofocus.

I had to experiment with different approaches to find what works for me, and I'm still experimenting.

With all photos there is a "triangle" of factors that needs to be balanced - aperture, shutter speed and ISO - and the balancing can be particularly tricky for macros.

To get deep DOF you need a small aperture (large f number). But if you decrease the aperture too much the image will lose sharpness because of diffraction. This loss of sharpness may or may not be important (long story). FWIW I almost always use the smallest available aperture on my camera, and at that aperture diffraction is definitely decreasing sharpness significantly. However, I find the DOF trade-off is worth it, for my purposes. Your mileage may vary of course. (It does depend somewhat on what post processing you do, and how large you want to view/print an image.)

Decreasing the aperture also cuts down the amount of light getting to the sensor and can make it difficult to get a fast enough shutter speed to get sharp results. Increasing the ISO may help, but you will lose sharpness/detail as you increase ISO. This will be less of a problem for you than for me - with my small (noisy) sensor I keep to ISO 100 wherever possible, and rarely go above ISO 200. Again, this depends somewhat on your post processing.

This may leave two options - use long shutter speeds or use flash.

I much prefer to use available light. This means I often have to use slow shutter speeds. (e.g. 1/8 sec or slower). This summer I have found that getting up at 4am and taking photos in the early morning helps with this, as the air tends to be more still in the early morning. I have taken to paying close attention to the Met Office's forecasts, which includes wind speed predictions, so as to choose which days to venture out early.

Slow shutter speeds need the camera to be still, so I use a tripod - a complicated, heavy thing with an adjustable arm. I use it two ways - either "hands-off", when the air is really still, with the camera's self-timer, or "hands-on", when the air is not completely still, when I take bursts of shots in the hope of getting one which is tolerably sharp.

I rarely use flash as the main light source, but I do use fill-flash on bright days. Insects etc often have some highly reflective surfaces, so if you use flash you may find it helpful to buy or make something to diffuse or reflect flash light, especially if you use flash as the main light source. This is less of a problem with flowers etc.

One key issue (IMO) with add-on lenses, especially the more powerful ones like the Raynox 250, is the distance to the subject. You can only get a really sharp image when the distance (within quite a narrow band for the 250) is right. You may find this is around 4 inches (between the subject and the front of the Raynox lens) for the Raynox 250. It is further (and there is more latitude) for the less powerful add-on lenses that I usually use. However, if you have your camera focused at infinity and move the camera back and forth to find good focus then you may automatically get the right distance. It is a bit more complicated to get optimally sharp results if using autofocus (I can go into this a bit if you like).

I like to be in complete control of where the plane of best focus falls. I try to pick something to focus on that is somewhere "in the middle" of the (front to back) range of where I want the best focus to fall. With an insect for example this may well be its "neck". I try to arrange it so that all of the subject nearest to the camera is in focus, so it is the legs etc on the far side which are not in focus. To make best use of the available DOF I often try to orient the camera so it is somewhat side-on to the subject rather than head-on. This is a matter of taste though. I like to get as much of the subject in focus as I can. Many people doing macros prefer to get in much closer and reveal great detail for a part of the subject, such as a fly's eye or a spider's eyes and mouthparts.

FWIW I like the last image best. It is a matter of taste, but again FWIW I could be inclined to lift the shadows to reveal more of the nice detail currently lost in the dark areas on the wings.

Like I suspect many (most?) people who do a lot of macro/close-up work, I have a very high failure rate. More so perhaps in my case because of my preference for working with available light. I usually capture 500-1,500 images in a day's session(s), and it takes ages to sort through them to find the few that more or less worked out. And even those don't come out of the camera in a usable form - PP is essential. This is especially true for me because I use a camera with a small, low IQ sensor, but even for dSLRs I suspect a bit of PP may often make quite a difference.

Hope some of this is of some use.

Have to agree that there is no "right way". It depends what you want to achieve and, given that macro is all about balance and compromise, what you're prepared to tolerate in one area to get what you want in another.

One of my main priorities is a light, clean background. For this I'm prepared to sacrifice some DOF and, because I need a relatively slow shutter speed, accept I have to work hard on technique to reduce blurring. I only hand hold by the way.

After many, many hours experimenting I've settled on the following:

Sigma 150 lens with 30mm of Kenko tubes.
Everything on manual, including flash and focus.
2 more or less permanent settings are shutter speed at 1/125 and flash at just under 1/8 power.

I adjust ISO and aperture to suit. I'm aiming for my meter to tell me the overall scene is about 1 stop under exposed.

I never go below f8 and never above f22.

ISO is between 200 and 800. 1600 at a push.

Every shot is different, with aperture being the main adjustement.

I emphasise that this method is what I've worked out for me to give me the kind of shots I want.
You may want a different kind of shot altogether. I suspect it doesn't matter what you read or what people say, you've got to put the practice time in and work it out for yourself.

Some really nice images there a big well done from me (y)

My settings tend to mirror what others have already said.

I tend to stick to f11 and try not to go higher as I've always got a full set of tubes on the 105mm and I worry about diffraction causing softness.

ISO I tend to bounce from 100 to 200 the a200 I use doesn't like much higher ISO.

Shutter speed again I'll bounce from 160 to 250.

I control my flash using fec rather than the manual way and infact I'm experimenting with that a fair bit atm.

Typically anywhere between 0 to -1.3

The only thing I will say and that's a couple of words of caution one being don't going messing with all the settings at once leads to huge frustration :bang:
And secondly the Macro bug will sneak up on you very fast if your not careful and before you know it. :D

I suspect it doesn't matter what you read or what people say, you've got to put the practice time in and work it out for yourself.

That's a really good point TBH and something I should of said.

I've been doing macro for a few years now and only this year I've ploughed a lot of time into it and I don't think there's a day of photographing that I do were I don't learn something new.

My current method is almost fully automatic, very simple and ridiculously easy to get sharp shots but you do need the right gear for it, e.g. a 7D and image stabilized lens. I use the following and then just point and shoot:-

Always hand held and never Flash (not disputing that flash can have its benefits but for stuff up to 1:1 I prefer natural light. besides I find a flash set-up too cumbersome for me).

AI servo mode to take advantage of the 7D special servo macro mode (it doubles the normal sampling rate when a Canon macro lens is used at near macro distances)

Spot AF for focussing (very precise)

High burst mode (the more you take the better the chance of nailing one)

Aperture priority mode (to set whatever aperture you want, usually between f8 and f16 for me)

Partial metering but with exposure comp as required

Auto ISO (on the 7D this always returns a shutter speed of 1/125 or 1/160 sec with the 100mm macro lens)

With IS switched on it gives about a 2 stop advantage at near macro distances so the 1/125 sec is equal to 1/500 sec without I.S.

I can honestly say that in the four or five weeks that I have had the I.S. lens and using the above settings I have got more sharp keepers then I ever did in over 4 years with the non I.S. lens.

Like as already been said, everyone will have there own methods but if you are a lazy macro shooter like me then this method is ridiculously simple and easy to get sharp shots.

It should be noted that I rarely use tubes as I am not really into stuff greater than 1:1. Also I should add that I always use back button focussing which helps a lot if using AI servo - you have a pseudo one shot without changing a thing.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for the tips and advice and I cant wait to get practising!

RoyC - Can I ask what IS macro lens you have?

Thank you all very much for the tips and advice and I cant wait to get practising!

RoyC - Can I ask what IS macro lens you have?
The Canon 100mm L IS Matt, basically the same as the non IS version that you tried but with a 4 stop I.S. sytem (although only around 2 stops for near macro stuff). I also reckon that IQ is a bit better than the non IS version.

As you are looking for criticism Matt, to be quite honest I think they are all fairly soft. The Canon 100 is a cracking macro lens that is capable of far better images IMHO.
It would be easier to find out what is going on if you supplied the EXIF data - what was the shutter speeds, f stop and ISO's ?

:agree: exif would be a great help to give a more precise critique

Les ;)

Nice pics for a play... betting you'll be wanting one now.. or a permanent borrow... :naughty:

My settings I prefer to get the iso as low as possible (less noise).
Use on board or flash gun. If you get a bracket you can get more side lighting.

Others will probably recommend the csi style flash or a ring flash. Depending on your pocket depth. Think the bracket is the cheapest option.

I know I'm a nikon bloke, so wont be as useful, but if you follow the links on the sig (the 105mm macro link especially) you can see what I've managed to get.

If the macro bug bites, at least you are on canon for the mpe65 (I think it is). Awesome lens...

Nice shots, keep shooting and posting (although usualy 3 pics you can get some constructive critisism more easily).

Of the pics above I really like the bee and the fur visible.

Are the images you've posted been squashed? There are some regular patterns which look like some kind of compression artifact in the first few. That might be why they look a bit soft. The last few seem to be a lot sharper and cleaner than the first few.

I quite like shooting on windy days with shallow DOF as you can some quite abstract and interesting colours and shapes. Not everything moves as much so you find some bits remain really sharp and others go softer.

I'm lazy. I just stick the camera on Aperture priority. Crack macro lens open to f2.8 and shoot away with natural light. If I try a bee or similar then I'll try f8 to give me a hope of having the bee in focus. Usually I get their bum as they always turn round when I take a picture!

If you don't have IS then using a tripod or monopod can help steady things a bit.

All look like great photos... 5 especially to me is a winner and stands out as well with the colours!

Advice given to me by gatekeeper

Lots of good and varied info and advice in this thread. FWIW I now have a G3 and my toolkit of techniques has changed a bit since I wrote that. I started writing it up here but it became too long and too much like highjacking the thread. I'll create a separate thread perhaps. I'm currently thinking of "From bridge to G3 for close-ups/macros" as the title.

In the meantime Matt I would suggest/endorse/add to some things that others here have already said:

Experiment - try various things (including things you haven't tried but think won't work/ won't be to your liking - you may be surprised; I certainly have been). Discover what works for you in terms of types of subject, capture techniques, the look of your images, post processing techniques and products, and (where practical) equipment. The more open-minded you are about what you try the more likely you are to get some pleasant surprises along the way.

Practice - a lot, if possible. Don't worry about having a very high proportion of failures. Pretty much everyone seems to have high failure rates for close-ups and macros, including people who have lots of experience and are really good at it, especially perhaps (for those who prefer to work with available light) in the UK where we have plenty of breeze and dull days. Experimenting will give you even more failures than usual. That is not a problem. One experiment that works can open your mind to new possibilities, improve your techniques, let you achieve things that currently you can't - permanently. The number of failures you get along the way is not important, just as long as you don't let them get you down.

See what others are doing, and how - and where practical try their techniques for yourself, and/or see if you can adjust them to better suit your preferences/equipment/interests etc.

That's what I think anyway.

Back