A Portfolio and different Sports

Edit My Images
No
A question for the pro's who work for an agency or have ever needed a portfolio for a job, how many different Sports did you have covered and what are they or did it just include football images for example?

It's just at the moment I only photograph Rugby (Union), I imagine I would need to expand to Football and other Sports if I were to have a chance of a job in the future?

Last edited:
A question for the pro's who work for an agency or have ever needed a portfolio for a job, how many different Sports did you have covered and what are they or did it just include football images for example?

It's just at the moment I only photograph Rugby (Union), I imagine I would need to expand to Football and other Sports if I were to have a chance of a job in the future?

My portfolio has mainly football and rugby, with peak action, celebrations and some more feauture-y sort of stuff.

EDIT: Just looked and I do have a couple of cricket and golf shots in there...

You've got PM.

Last edited:
When i started, my portfolio had a mix of mostly non-mainstream sports such as mountain biking because thats what i did a lot of. I think I had only a couple of motorsport photos when I joined my agency. But then again, I joined as a darkroom scumbag like most of my colleagues - which I still think is the most likely way through the door. Although its editing now rather than processing E6 and printing.
I think if your portfolio has a variety of pictures that show different camera techniques and that you can think creatively it shouldn't matter too much about what sport it is. I think its nice to include portraits and reportage as well. Hope this helps.

Never had a portfolio and to be honest I can find fault wiht every picture I have ever taken so I wouldn't be able to pick any to go in :(

I think some variety can help, but a good picture editor or people at an agency who look at a potential employees portfolio can see if you are producing quality images, and usually if you can do that for one sport, the technical know how can be transferred to others fairly easily.

I think some variety can help, but a good picture editor or people at an agency who look at a potential employees portfolio can see if you are producing quality images, and usually if you can do that for one sport, the technical know how can be transferred to others fairly easily.

Agreed the technical knowhow will transfer, but at the super-high level BlackDevil and myself are at, a potential employer will want to see evidence of your composition, understanding of the sport and "the bigger picture".

Something which I do a lot of now but isn't in my portfolio is portrait and PR style work. There's a lot of that in my remit now.

i was wondering this recently as well, as i currently shoot for the local uni american football team, but was wondering if it would be better to have a variety of sport or just different teams?

so having a bit of a range to show you can understand the sport and how to shoot it better?

Back