A portrait....

T

The Edge

sox1.jpg

Exif still embedded - i can't get at it becasue i'm on my laptop!

It was taken on my 10D with 50mm f1.8 and flash.

I bounced the flash off the ceiling in a pretty dark room. I wasn't trying for anything special, just a nice picture of the cat.

I love this photo, i think it's one of the best portraits i've done!

Any tips on improvement more than welcome :)

Any tips on improvement more than welcome

Well the amount you could imrove the techy side of that shot depends alot on whether you had any time to set things up.

If it was just a grab shot type of affair where you had a choice of bouncing the flash or pointing it at the cat, then you certainly made the right choice.

If you have a chance to get yourself ready at all then reflecting some of that downward travelling light back at the subject will help to brighten up the face, particularly the eyes. You don't need real reflector, anything white will do the job just fine. A towel resting on a bit of card or even just a coulple of cushions would do the job.

dazzajl said:
If you have a chance to get yourself ready at all then reflecting some of that downward travelling light back at the subject will help to brighten up the face, particularly the eyes. You don't need real reflector, anything white will do the job just fine. A towel resting on a bit of card or even just a coulple of cushions would do the job.

Would using the catchlight card on the flashgun ahve helped? I thought about doing that after i took the shot, set up again, and puss cat decided to leg it.

The Edge said:
Would using the catchlight card on the flashgun ahve helped? I thought about doing that after i took the shot, set up again, and puss cat decided to leg it.

no. She's got her eyes closed!

it is very good, nice and simple, which i like

I like the shot as is, it has a simple but professional feel to the image. I would do something with the top left hand corner though, clone in some of the colour cast and blurred detail from other parts of the picture to remove the all white triangle that is slightly distracting.

Otherwise very good. :)

Thanks for the comments i'll have a play in phiotoshop tonight :)

EXIF:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 10D
Image Date: 2005:11:18 18:38:31
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 50.0mm
CCD Width: 5.90mm
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

I think you need more DoF on a shot like this, helps bring more of the cats face into focus. The eyes are fine but because its difficult to make them out I find myself concentrating on the OOF mouth.

Minor point. :)

Yes I think the small change has made a big difference. :thumb:

Back