A question for the petrol heads

Edit My Images
Yes
In addition to the daily driver my GF and I both have toy cars as playthings. I also have a couple of motorbikes usually a project car or two about the place.
Storing all this lot poses a bit of a problem at a 3 bed semi in a quiet cul-de-sac so I've recently been thinking about vehicle storage facilities. But I'm a bit protective towards our toys and am not yet convinced.

Can I ask you to take part in a straw poll for me please?

Anyone got an additional car as a toy?

Would you consider vehicle storage?
If so..
What would you say is a fair price?
What would you expect for the money?

If not..
Why not?

Any horror stories or warnings?

And a bonus question, just out of interest...
Do any of you do your own maintenance and repairs?

I don't know anything about vehicle storage but be careful on the Insurance side. My parents were downsizing homes and put a load of stuff into a "reputable" storage company while the sorted it all out. The storage company had a burst pipe / major leak & a load of their stuff was water damaged BUT the"reputable" storage company only covered for Fire / Loss .

I do the servicing / repairs on my Motorbike / Cars

I work in the classic car industry so familiar with all your problems - have a project car myself and a few toys.

If you put your car into storage, check with your policy and the storage companies policies to find out if your actually covered. Many people think they are and find out they're not.

I do most of the servicing on my cars unless special main dealer equipment is needed. On the older cars I'm totally hands on.

as said above^^ i'd check both yours and the storage companies policies to make sure your covered and as for maintanance i do all my own and my partners. 90% of the time i work on my driveway but my friend runs his own garage and i sometimes need to nip round and use his facilities :LOL:

I have a Civic Type R as a weekend toy / trackday car :D

It lives under a car cover during the week on my driveway so no I wouldn't consider storage

I have a GT-Four for my toy, I walk to work so it only does a few k a year :)
Have always done my own repairs/maintenance, there is probably only one garage around here that I would trust with her if something major went wrong.

between us we have six bikes . most of which live in the garage.the others live undercover , chained up to a ground anchor or three, on the back garden.
the cars(3) live on the front (covered in limestone chippings ) garden/parking area.
used to keep my rangerover in something a bit like these. http://www.canopiessouthwest.co.uk/car_ports_perambulator.html.
wouldnt trust storage companies as far as i could throw em. em.
i do 99% of repairs /servicing on all our vehicles.cant afford not to realy.
fuel injection/emmisions being about the only thing i cant do.i must admit i,m getting less enthusiastic with the cars as i get older tho.

Everyday cars
AMG C43 (Merc C-class with a 4.3 litre V8)
Saab 9-3 turbo

Project car
Lancia Montecarlo (mid engined, but also being rebuilt for circuit use)

Family fleet toys
Reynard 883, TVR Griffith (1965), Lotus Exige

Back