Review A quick review of my Mini Trekker AW

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
The Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

I bought the Lowepro Mini Trekker about 3 years ago and I have to say it’s been fantastic, just like every other Lowepro case of bag I’ve bought.

The exterior of the bag is very hardwearing and even at the time of these pictures it’s been covered in mud and dragged across the floor a few times during outings with the camera and is still free from major scuffs or tears.

miniexterior.jpg

The straps are comfortable and well padded and chest and waist straps help keep it in place securely, ideal for the times when you need to move quickly to catch the action.
The back of the bag is sculptured and again well padded, the careful shaping of the padding allows airflow between you and the bag to help keep you cool when moving to or between locations.

miniback.jpg

Double zippers allow easy access to your gear in both the main storage area and the front pocket, the zip themselves are heavy duty items and so far have resisted the temptation to burst open during my frequent attempts to over pack the bag, as the bag passes as aircraft carry on hand luggage these times have been frequent
Their ability to keep the elements out is aided by a protective flap which runs the entire length of both of the zips.

minizippers.jpg

The exterior is also equipped with a fold out pocket for stowing the legs of a tripod in, the tripod it’s self is then held firmly in place by an elasticated cord which can be looped through a securing loop on the bag. The sides of the bag have similar loops which allow you to either tie on items or fit Lowepro’s own additional pockets.

minitripod.jpg

The AW designation stands for All Weather, so this would have you believe the bag is ready for just about anything the British weather can throw at it. But the zippers and outer fabric alone aren’t all the bag can offer!
Hidden inside a pocket on the base of the bag is a light grey coloured cover which pulls out and stretches over the entire bag. It’s made of a waterproofed ripstop material and it stays firmly in place thanks to it’s elasticated edging.

Moving onto the interior of the bag.
The inside is very well padded and there are various dividing walls held in place with Velcro on to the two main central dividers. The smaller dividers can be placed at any point you wish between the central strips and the outer walls, this gives amazing flexibility within the bag. Changes in kit are easily accommodated because of this.
The outer walls of the compartment is covered with the fluffy side of the Velcro, so no worries about scratches on your bits and bobs. The small dividers are firm but still offer soft protection.

miniinterior.jpg

miniinterior1.jpg

The closing panel of the main compartment also has some clear vinyl pockets on for storage of manuals and memory cards etc. A bit of thought has gone into the interiors contents with regard to the pocket zippers, lowepro have fitted a small tab at the closed end of the zip to stop the zippers from marking your kit (y)
The bag is deep enough to take a 20d with the battery grip fitted in place and it has enough interior space to hold my meagre set up with ease. It currently holds my 70-200 f2.8 with the hood reversed, the ef-s 60 macro and the 20d with a 17-40 f4 hood reversed and a 430ex flash gun and a whole host of bits and pieces that I find myself lugging round all the time just in case
The outside pocket is quite deceiving, it is almost the full length of the bag and the zip offers a wide opening. There is a key holder and some other small pockets for holding your wallet and even a few biros too.

minifrontpocket.jpg

So, there we go…………….
A quick review of the Lowepro mini Trekker AW, a bag that has meet and exceeded my expectations (y)
I hope it’s been of some use to anyone who’s considering getting one.

The images show a 75-300 IS lens, that’s been replaced with a 70-200f2.8 but I took the pictures a few months ago and sort of forgot about getting this written down :D

The vital stats of it are as follows

Capacity: SLR with attached 80–200mm f/2.8 lens (most makes), additional body, 4–6 more lenses
Size (Interior): 11W x 5D x 14.5H in. 28 x 12.5 x 37 cm
Size (Exterior): 12W x 12.5D x 16H in. 30.5 x 32 x 40.5 cm
Outer fabric: water-resistant 600D TXP™ and 600D TXP ripstop

Aha! So thats what that hook is for, on the inside of the outer pocket...keys!

This bag is excellent. I must admit. I got mine last year and I haven't regretted it one bit. It's so deceptively spacious, yet it looks quite small.

There was a video on here from a chap who fitted pretty much half of the Canon factory in his too :p

(y)

Excellent review ... it has to be said DF ... ;)

Unexpectedly tidy ... your bag is ... :D

And ... :LOL: @ Marcel ... keys indeed ... HeHe ... :eek:

:p

... You forgot to say the most important thing ... tis Black! :D

I wish you'd posted this before my trip to Lidl yesterday, DF
Still think its on my list of must have's ... amongst other things!

:LOL: Good review, gonna have to get of my backside and do some reviews, been some good ones recently (need t restore the balance:D)

(y)

I wish you'd posted this before my trip to Lidl yesterday, DF!

nah, I know you like the finer things in life.......so I waited till you bought the other bag so I could show you what you missed :D

only kidding.....please don't beat me too hard

Aye Ven....I get there in the end :naughty:

A good review, and I echo all the good things DF has said about the bag! That waterproof cover is something else - never let so much as a drop through on mine, and in fact the biggest challenge is how the heck do you dry off the cover itself afterwards!

I tend to remove the cover and give it a good shake. That usually gets it almost dry before scrunching it back up and stowing it back in it's little pocket.
Then when I get home I remove it again and allow it to dry naturally.

Here's one for you all with this bag.

When you've folded up the waterproof cover and put it away...
Can you ever get the bag to stand up straight again? Mine leans forward, which is a pain in the jacksie. Which means I turn it around to lean it against the wall....which means the straps are exposed, and Im always tripping over them...:LOL:

I have had this bag for about two years and been in about 5 countries with it - fab!

Used rainproof cover a number of times and no probs. Drop down for tripod is smart although cords get slack. Add a small luggae type clasp.

Get in the habit of lining up zippers in a place you will check before lifting. I once lifted it without checking and camera and lens spilt out. Camera was fine but lens was binned. Can't blame the bag for that really but something to be aware off.

Agree with Marcel. It rarely stands on it's base.

Great buy though!

HUN.....I've always had the habit of closing zips and straps after each time i open them, that way i'm ready to move as quickly as possible and it also keeps the dust fairies out too :)

I don't have a problem getting the bag to stand up.......maybe i fold the cover tighter when i put it away ?

Great bag. If I get a chance I'll post all the kit IO can fit into this bag!!! An amazing amount of lenses (all my kit below), + accessories like a small 6x4 printer, epson P2000, cables, chargers etc etc. Heavy when full but does a great job.

Here's one for you all with this bag.

When you've folded up the waterproof cover and put it away...
Can you ever get the bag to stand up straight again? Mine leans forward, which is a pain in the jacksie. Which means I turn it around to lean it against the wall....which means the straps are exposed, and Im always tripping over them...:LOL:

YES! I'm not the only one then:clap:

Great review DF!

Will never buy anything else again,(NON Lowepro that is)

Back