A real horror on the road

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I was there this time last year, spent two days working in a yard underneath one if these bridges. I was rather in awe of the road structures they built to be honest.
In that area heavy rain fail is an almost daily occurrence, apparently there are reports that there was a lightning strike on thus occasion.

At least 25 dead after motorway bridge collapsed in Italy

https://apnews.com/011a01863fcd4ba1...as-highway-bridge-collapses-in-Italy;-11-dead

I thought this was only really probable in earthquake scenarios or action movies. It really makes you think about these ageing concrete structures all around.

A tragedy in all sorts of ways not least of which is the loss of life and potentially life changing injuries of the survivors.

On the news a short while ago they were interviewing a structural engineer and he remarked that to the best of his knowledge this bridge and only one other were built using the (outdated?) stressed concrete method. The only other one was in South America and that collapsed some years ago but not for the same reasons suggested so far for the failure of this one in Genoa. Apparently such a construction method requires more intensive & costly maintenance!

A tragedy in all sorts of ways not least of which is the loss of life and potentially life changing injuries of the survivors.

On the news a short while ago they were interviewing a structural engineer and he remarked that to the best of his knowledge this bridge and only one other were built using the (outdated?) stressed concrete method. The only other one was in South America and that collapsed some years ago but not for the same reasons suggested so far for the failure of this one in Genoa. Apparently such a construction method requires more intensive & costly maintenance!

I truly hope there are no more left around waiting for their turn

There was an interesting discussion with an Italian guy, on the radio,
1) It seems that ( according to him anyway) the Mafia were very much involved in building "these" bridges, "at the time"
and short cut the quantity of cement to sand ratio to get a higher profit.

2) Matteo Salvini is blaming the EU for the disaster due to "External constraints"
Juncker hit back with Italy is set to receive 2.5 billion Euros between 2014 and 2020.

Its a real disaster and I wonder if the truth will ever come out ...

There was an interesting discussion with an Italian guy, on the radio,
1) It seems that ( according to him anyway) the Mafia were very much involved in building "these" bridges, "at the time"
and short cut the quantity of cement to sand ratio to get a higher profit.

2) Matteo Salvini is blaming the EU for the disaster due to "External constraints"
Juncker hit back with Italy is set to receive 2.5 billion Euros between 2014 and 2020.

In a country which had Berlusconi for its leader? I am not going to hold my breath.

It will take some time to sort out exactly what happens. The company maintaining the bridge have apparently stated that the foundation of the pier that collapsed was being shored up under a monitoring regime at the time of collapse.

That suggests a known problem.

I think it is already out. Look at these photos! The state of maintenance was evidently shocking even to the laymen and it was left all on its own.
I think just like Grenfel tower case some heads responsible for the upkeep will have to roll.

The most important question now is to identify other potentially risky infrastructure and deal with it in a responsible manner. And it shouldn't be limited just to Italy I think, but probably their record is the worst in EU.

Some sky news article showed the amount per country across the EU of investment in roads and infrastructure maintenance and the Italians basically shelved it about 6 years ago
but all that aside this bridge was garbage the day it was built, engineers were saying 10 years ago it was in danger of imminent collapse

Back