A recent wedding

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
OK, 81 views and no comments, so I'll bite :)

Ref the full works, let me state here and now that this coverage is a perfect example of why, in 1999, I really didn't want to start shooting weddings. I thought then that if you shot weddings, this was how you had to shoot them, and I knew that I had neither the skills not the inclination to do that. Fortunately I discovered that not every bride wants this kind of wedding photography, but that's another story.

Plenty of brides do want just this kind of coverage, though, and I take my hat off to anybody who can do it as well as this. I've gone right through the full wedding twice now, and the best I can do by way of critique is ...

Second one in - the bleb on her thigh needs zapping

Through the window eye makeup doesn't work for me - just too much reflection. There was a cracking shot to be had there but to get it, the window needed to be opened and you needed to be closer.

Blokes in the garden - who was a lucky boy with that lantern then ;)

Procession - surely he didn't keep looking straight ahead until she was level with him?

Drinks shots - I'd zap that lamp post in the first one. And if you compare the first three with the fourth one (i.e. the one of the bride facing left), you'll see why I always tried to avoid shooting these from behind the bride

Two headshots of the bride before the meal - dunno if it's mainly the processing or what, but to me they do seem a bit limp compared with the other portraits

Speeches - I'd have to zap the groom's radio aerial in the second one, but they're well caught - even though you were bound to get those backs of heads and shoulders shooting from facing the top table.

And that's all.

This is an extremely saleable product, and it's very well done indeed. Nice one mister:clap:

PS So who was shooting the guys prep?

I really like most of them, but I strongly dislike the way you've flipped your style on its head when it comes to the last three field shots.... As far as telling a story goes; a sky doesn't go from bright white to pure drama in a matter of seconds.

I really like most of them, but I strongly dislike the way you've flipped your style on its head when it comes to the last three field shots.... As far as telling a story goes; a sky doesn't go from bright white to pure drama in a matter of seconds.
Wondering if these were shot later? - looks to be OCF to me ...

Ryan I think this is a great set, really tells the story.

Apologies for my newbness but what is OCF?

Edit: it's off camera flash, am I right?

It is Off Camera Flash, looks to be later in the day too, and a very nice job done too....

OK, 81 views and no comments, so I'll bite :)

Ref the full works, let me state here and now that this coverage is a perfect example of why, in 1999, I really didn't want to start shooting weddings. I thought then that if you shot weddings, this was how you had to shoot them, and I knew that I had neither the skills not the inclination to do that. Fortunately I discovered that not every bride wants this kind of wedding photography, but that's another story.

Plenty of brides do want just this kind of coverage, though, and I take my hat off to anybody who can do it as well as this. I've gone right through the full wedding twice now, and the best I can do by way of critique is ...

Second one in - the bleb on her thigh needs zapping

Through the window eye makeup doesn't work for me - just too much reflection. There was a cracking shot to be had there but to get it, the window needed to be opened and you needed to be closer.

Blokes in the garden - who was a lucky boy with that lantern then ;)

Procession - surely he didn't keep looking straight ahead until she was level with him?

Drinks shots - I'd zap that lamp post in the first one. And if you compare the first three with the fourth one (i.e. the one of the bride facing left), you'll see why I always tried to avoid shooting these from behind the bride

Two headshots of the bride before the meal - dunno if it's mainly the processing or what, but to me they do seem a bit limp compared with the other portraits

Speeches - I'd have to zap the groom's radio aerial in the second one, but they're well caught - even though you were bound to get those backs of heads and shoulders shooting from facing the top table.

And that's all.

This is an extremely saleable product, and it's very well done indeed. Nice one mister:clap:

PS So who was shooting the guys prep?

Many thanks mate for taking the time and for your kind words. Just a couple of comments on points you made....

Re the garden shot - taken by my second. I wouldn't have put them there in the first place but never mind. I had to remove a drain pipe from coming out of one lads head, a green watering can hanging on the fence and some other blob coming out of the head of the guy next to the lantern (I really need all that extra work!). I would have rejected it but I didn't have that many of the boys and it was one of those shots where someone was bound to ask "what about the one in the back garden"!

Re The procession. He looked back when she first entered the room but her and her dad were very small in the frame at that point so I chose this one for the blog. The couple will get both of course. For the rest of the procession he looked straight ahead.

Re: Drinks shot. That's a really good point. Sometimes I deliberately stand behind the bride just so that I can see the faces of the guests as they look at her. I figure the bride will get to see loads of herself but not so many of the guests, and I also like the expressions as they get to chat to her for the first time. Totally take your point though.

Re: Speeches - can't believe I missed that line coming out of the grooms head. School boy error! :D

I'll pm you on your last question.

Thanks Adam. You make a really interesting point and it's given me food for thought since I read it late last night. I think all I would say is that for the most part I shoot very much a reportage style. However I never call myself a reportage photographer because I do stage certain parts of the day, none more so than the "wow shots" where it's just the couple and me. The shots in the field were all completely staged/posed by me and as such I don't tend to think it so much as story-telling as simply trying to create some awesome pictures for their album. So one/two spreads could easily be the natural light stuff and then a spread with the more dramatic OCF stuff.

HOWEVER, as I said your point is very valid and it's something I'll give more thought to. Perhaps when it comes to the album I might suggest they choose one way or the other. At least the way I've shot it they have a choice.

Thanks Paul.

It is Off Camera Flash, looks to be later in the day too, and a very nice job done too....

Cheers Darrin.

I won't try to compete with Dan's critique - great set Ryan.

It really is a lovely set. I can't add any C&C of my own because I am far from in a position too. Great stuff though. :)

I won't try to compete with Dan's critique - great set Ryan.

Thanks Phil. I really appreciate it mate.

It really is a lovely set. I can't add any C&C of my own because I am far from in a position too. Great stuff though. :)

Cheers mate. You're work is great so don't ever feel you're not worthy of giving critique :)

Up to your usual standard, mate. :)

Thanks Dean.

Awesome set of images mate

Thanks fella.

Excellent set, I enjoyed looking at them.

It's a while since I've seen your work Ryan, but at least up to your usual standard, an excellent set of images.

Lovely stuff Ryan. Always above and beyond.

Back