A sad, sad day.....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Today we have had to say goodbye to our beloved cat, Sherry.

We got her as a rescue cat some 7 years ago, she was about 2 years old and had just had a litter. She was the original "Scaredy Cat", very wary of visitors and would bolt outside or upstairs the moment the door bell rang. In all the time we've had her, I never managed to get a decent picture, she would run and hide whenever she saw me with the camera - she was so timid.

About 6 weeks ago she was diagnosed with cancer, and we knew that even after the operation to remove a number of tumours that she wouldn't have long with us. But on Thursday she just seemed to give up, we couldn't get her to eat and she's hardly moved. When she did she looked very weak on her rear legs.

But we couldn't put up with her not having any quality of life and made the decision yesterday. My wife couldn't bear going to the vet with me but I made sure I was with her until the end.

Sherry

Sherry_web-2.jpg

I know it's not a good photo, but it's the only half decent one we have.

Steve

RIP Sherry.

So sorry to hear about your loss of the lovely Sherry. She sounds like a real character! I hate to think how I would cope with losing one of my cats, they are totally members of our family.

Regards,

Alan

RIP Sherry
So sad to hear your news, we had to say goodbye to our cat of 15 years, Oliver back in May, still miss him terribly as does his sister Maxi, luckily for us we have a 9 month old daughter who fills I life with joy and helps ease the pain... it will get better in time.
I've placed an image of Oliver below as I'm feeling nostalgic now, hope you don't mind.

Oliver_toned.jpg

Our rescue cat also hasnt got over being a scardey cat (he over 15 now), not for the want of love or care but he still hatesthe vacuum cleaner (and we've never been anywhere near him with it - he just hates it).
Sorry to hear of your loss, when our last moggy died we went straight out and got another, for us this was a good idea, maybe for you too but with Xmas coming I think I'd wait a little while and try and pick up a bored Xmas present that someone no longer wants.

Matt

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Sherry, she looks like a lovely little lady. It probably won't feel this way to you at the moment while the pain of loss is still so raw but she was lucky to have a family who cared enough to make the most difficult of decisions on her behalf when the time came.

I hope your sadness fades quickly and makes way for the many happy memories I know you'll have of Sherry.

My heart truly goes out to both you and Mrs Jelster, take care,
Alison x

Sorry for your loss Steve, having made that awful trip twice myself, I know just what it's like. She was young to go that way, but I'm sure her years with you were the best she could have had!!

Tara

Sorry to hear of your loss :crying:

Very sorry to read Steve about the loss of Sherry. A wondeful looking cat.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear of your loss. It's always a sad time when you have to let go of a pet that has become part of the family. Remember the good times, it'll help make things a little easier. All the best, to you and your family.

We lost our cat 12 months ago tomorrow. I held her and felt her paws go cold as the injection worked. Still cry over her.

There's nothing anyone can say that helps, but it gets better with time. Just think - if you loved her so much to cry over her when she's gone you must have loved her when she was here, and she'll have had a good life. And that's all that anyone can have asked of you.

Go and open a good bottle of red, have a good cry, and don't feel ashamed, just treasure the happy memories.

Oh I can so relate :(:( We lost out beloved Amber (16 years old) at the end of July. She got savaged by a Staffie dog on our front drive infront of my chilren and me and then about a month ago we had to have our lovely Buster put to sleep due to poor health. We're sure he missed and pined for Amber. He was fit and healthy up until her demise but went down hill really quickly.

Rest in peace Sherry. She looks such a cute cat.

We had our cats cremated with PCS and on the card are these words:

"We've had so many happy years,
what is to come will hold no fears..."

"We've been so close, we two, these years,
don't let your heart hold any tears".

Thank you all for your kind comments.

My wife and I have had a quiet night tidying up Sherry's bowl, tray and her favourite sleeping places. She will be missed greatly, but no doubt we will get over it eventually.

Steve

Who cares about the quality of the picture, it's the memory that's important. I hope you find the space in your hearts (eventually) to give another rescue cat as much love. Sherry looked a lovely putty tat :crying:

Back